This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Hbp/pe3 Form

Started by Adriano Augusto, February 6, 2013 · 71 Replies · 4,585 Views

Adriano Augusto

Hi all,

I did mastery for HBP/PE3, but I'm not sure if I did with correct form.

I was hesitate to post it in Digital Coaching (with other words of course) or here.

http://youtu.be/roUC8wnzCRM

There are two forms on the video: first, it's which I'm used to complete mastery; second, it's what I think it's correct form and I can't varely manage +5 reps.

Maybe both are wrong, but sincerely, I don't know. I look shoulder position and I think my mastery it has been wrong...

Thanks in advance.

Greetings from Spain.

stefanhinote

Vid is private, so no one can view it.

Adriano Augusto

I'm sorry, now it's Ok.

Coach Sommer

Very good point, Zach.  It is very important to keep the shoulders leaning forward at all times during PPP.  

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Adriano Augusto

Ok I get the point, but also think that it's difficult to learn proper form on this. Besides, I'm watching several youtube videos and many prople there are doing it wrong. I'll check my form again.

Thanks everyone.

Coach Sommer
Adriano Flo said:

... but also think that it's difficult to learn proper form on this. Besides, I'm watching several youtube videos and many prople there are doing it wrong ...

 

That is also why many people are still weak.

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Riku Calderón

huh. had to try one. failed miserably :D 

Adriano Augusto

I love this community  :D

Nic Branson

Zach hit it, maintaining the lean is hard. Some people will find putting something in their eye line so they can focus on staying directly over the top of it helps.

thenail001

I find it helps to do these with the top of your head a centimeter from a wall (actually touching off loads the shoulders some). Do these with your feet on sliders as your feet should move backwards when you descend

B1214N

You can just put your feet against a wall when doing these. That way, you won't be able to lean back during the movement.

David Birchall
Joseph Blazuk said:

I find it helps to do these with the top of your head a centimeter from a wall (actually touching off loads the shoulders some). Do these with your feet on sliders as your feet should move backwards when you descend

Your feet would only move backwards if you reduced the amount of lean on the descent.  In PPP you are supposed to maintain the forward lean throughout the exercise which is actually harder to do during the ascent as the load on the shoulder girdle becomes greater as your arms straighten.

 

Having the top of the head gently brushing the wall tells you that you are maintaining the same amount of lean throughout the exercise assuming no sagging of the body position.

George Launchbury

Hmmm ...I would think the slider idea is necessary for accurately following the wall?

 

If you rested a board at 45deg against a wall, and it slid down the wall, the 'feet' end would slide away from the wall.

 

I can't see this would be different for a person, although the angles involved would only mean a few inches travel at the feet. Mind you, that few inches in the weaker bottom position would make a big difference, and enable a gretar lean at the top.

 

Just my thoughts, and not based on actual experience.

 

edit: spellos and grammar...

Mats Trane

When it comes to form, do alot of videos of your training to spot check yourself. I try to do it at least once a week.

thenail001

I like the foot against the wall idea. It makes the movement more difficult for the same starting position as compared to having your head against the wall and feet on sliders. With both positions you should be able to maintain a forward lean. However to keep your eyes in the same position with feet against the wall requires you to pike at the hips. Without piking your head will move forward as you descend which changes the relationship of your hands to your hips during different positions of the exercise. I think this is more effective which of course is the exercise in the program

David Birchall

the only issue with feet against the wall in my eyes is the heel.  If the heel raises from the wall and then lean is increased and vice versa.

 

You should not pike at the hips at any point is my understanding.

Adriano Augusto

Here I am again with a new video about my form on this particular exercise. Of course, I already know that I didn't complete the mastery. 

 

http://youtu.be/Z1R1sN7IQrM

 

ROM its ok? Maybe further down? A little pike hips? I can varely manage 4/5 reps of these, so its wrong again... hahaha! I can't imagine how hard it is!

 

Thanks.

FredInChina

Very nice Adriano_Flo, good improvement there. :)

Adriano Augusto

I'm struggling on PPPu form Fred, I always see something wrong, as if I could make then a little better but don't know how.

Naxels

Is it just me or does HBP/PE3 look way more difficult in comparison to the Dip?

I can do the ring dips, however i cannot do a single rep of HBP/PE3..

 

anyone else had the same discovery?

3D Guy

bien hermano, no habia visto este tema por aqui :P

Realmente se ve mucho la diferencia entre el primer y el ultimo video que has posteado.

el segundo muestra una mejoria en el entendimiento del movimiento durante ppp....

a trabajar se ha dicho hermano!

=)

Saludos desde Mexico y un fuerte abrazo!

I can really see a great form improvement /change from the first to the last video.

Keep hard work going on man!!

FredInChina
Adriano Flo said:

I'm struggling on PPPu form Fred (...)

 

Yes, I can see that, unfortunately I cannot help you... :)

Maybe you should have read the fine print before signing in, struggling is part and parcel of the road to mastery. :P

markp
Naxels said:

Is it just me or does HBP/PE3 look way more difficult in comparison to the Dip?

I can do the ring dips, however i cannot do a single rep of HBP/PE3..

 

anyone else had the same discovery?

Yes, I have the same experience.

 

I can easily do the full ROM dips as shown in HBP/PE6, but doing the PPP with hands close to the hips is very hard for me. I can do a few reps but certainly not the prescribed 5x10 reps.

 

If you're unable to do even a single rep, perhaps you're not protracting and depressing your scapulas during the exercise? I feel that makes a big difference. I realize that I have always been doing PPP wrong in the past by not protracting and depressing my shoulders. The position feels substantially more stable now.

 

When I first saw these HBP progressions I was asking myself whether I wouldn't lose the possibility to do PPP once I moved further in the progressions doing only the (for me) easier dips, given that PPP is (much) harder for me than dips and there isn't that much overlap in the exercises. But I don't think this should be a problem because when I'm doing dips, I can still do the PPP as a warming up exercise or add some sets afterwards to maintain my strength in that position.

David Birchall

(second video) your head comes away from the wall at the top of the movement thereby decreasing the lean of the planche lean position.

 

It is my understanding that you should start in a planche lean position with hands next to your waist.  Then you should come down and back up again in a straight line.  Keeping your head just away from the wall, perhaps allowing your hair to brush it so you can just feel it contact with the wall, at all points during the PPP tells you you are going straight (if you aren't piking).

Adriano Augusto

As my form progresses, less repetitions I can manage; obvious thing.

 

http://youtu.be/8zkH1HtlUT0

 

I'm analyzing the movement over and over and always find something that compared to F1 athlete it's wrong. His wrist flexibility it's better than mine and thereby his lean forward its better too, allowing his shoulders almost touch the floor.

 

Another interesting thing of the video it's that the athlete back forward a little bit when goes up, it's hard to see but I watched the video hundred times, slow motion aswell, and I see that. Due to his wrist flexibilty the degree of back forward it's imperceptible, but is there.

 

May I have to improve my wrist flexibility, because I don't know how keep better on this movement.

 

Thanks everyone.

 

PD: Youtube doesn't help either. Almost everybody do the movement so wrong.