That's exactly like anyone should progress! Very good Adriano! Congrats!
This forum is archived information and is no longer active.
Hbp/pe3 Form
Started by Adriano Augusto, February 6, 2013 · 71 Replies · 4,585 Views
The jump from 3x4 to 4x6 has been tough and it needs refinement and more work, but little by little I see progress at endurance land.
It's going to be really hard reach mastery, but at least I see it possibe ![]()
Any input would be great.
Cheers!
Great job dude. You are noticeably stronger in this most recent video than your first video. Everything looks better. You'll get mastery soon!
Should you feel your traps burn for ppp? I remember reading that some people felt it a lot in their traps. I had a workout where I also felt it a ton in my traps but haven't since. Wondering if my form is off. I know my lean isn't adequate but aside from that
e?
Just nice!!
DESTINY said:Should you feel your traps burn for ppp? I remember reading that some people felt it a lot in their traps. I had a workout where I also felt it a ton in my traps but haven't since. Wondering if my form is off. I know my lean isn't adequate but aside from that
e?
I felt a lot on my wrist, scapula, and of course, through arms, specially shoulders/triceps. I feel the traps a lot on Planche Leans because it's a "hold" (more or less), but here I feel what does actually the movement motion: arms. I think they're getting bigger just because of PPP.
I weight 180lb (80kg) aprox (maybe a little more), so my arms are my dead in this exercise.
Thanks for the comments family! I'll come back when I'll near mastery ![]()
Impressive! Keep us updated on further progress please. ![]()
Hello guys,
I've been doing a wrong thing with PPP all this time, until today that I've realise where the problem was. Foot position.

The first picture is as athlete's video on F1; second are my normal foot position for PPP.
I've realise that when I put my feet straight and not pointed as in Planche Leans and F1 video, I feel better doing all the movement and I'm more comfortable with it.
I would like to know is this is a special cue or something to take in consideration to perfect form.
Thanks in advance.
Adriano Flo said:Hello guys,
I've been doing a wrong thing with PPP all this time, until today that I've realise where the problem was. Foot position.
The first picture is as athlete's video on F1; second are my normal foot position for PPP.
I've realise that when I put my feet straight and not pointed as in Planche Leans and F1 video, I feel better doing all the movement and I'm more comfortable with it.
I would like to know is this is a special cue or something to take in consideration to perfect form.
Thanks in advance.
Up to this one. I felt more stable doing like the first photo.
Mastery week fail on PPP, as I imagined. I foretell various microcycles on week 9-12 before now. Just as I did with HBP/PE2, I spent a lot of months with them but I think I'm not going to spent same months with HBP/PE3... will be less months, it is my suppose of course.
Well, here is my video of 5x10 mastery this week. There are 4 sets in the video; 2 last sets from Monday mastery, and another 2 from Thursday. Different angles both weeks.
It is funny because on Monday I think I was dying at the end of last set... And of course, a lot of flaws on my form, but I have to get the 10 reps no matter what, despite of "garbage reps", I want to build endurance too. Besides, I knew that I wasn't pass mastery week, but I didn't care: just do the scheme and shut up.
On thursday I was very well rested and my try was better, both form and endurance, I did more lean and more clean reaps compared to monday, but I know that there's no mastery however because there are a lot of flaws on my form.
On top of xiaopeng's is not a rest in any form... are a hell in between! At first the 3kg dumbell is like nothing, but set after set, seems weighter... and weighter... and on the last sets I can varely push backwards. Amazing feeling on my shoulder girdle, I've to say too.
Here's the video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-68BGEebNM&feature=youtu.be
I see you in 2014 with another update ![]()
Any advice would be appreciate.
Thanks family.
I know where you come from, sometimes it's just so hard to know whether you should push it or not so you can build the needed endurance. I'm pretty much exactly where you were on HBP/PE2. I tried to push it and it seems I gained very little endurance on this mini-cycle so I'll try to avoid failure this mini-cycle and then use a modified progress scheme and probably drop back when I get to the one -arm planks because they'll kill my arms. ![]()
As for your form, I don't think there's anything you can improve. Some of the last few reps aren't perfect but you're well aware of that so I guess we just have to hang in there.
I tried to push it and it seems I gained very little endurance on this mini-cycle
Slow progress is still progress. A mindset that I learned here. Sometimes it is difficult to see it, but it still there ![]()
As for your post... we know how the form is, we can do perfect form for at least 10 reps. Once its done, it is time to build endurance and surpass the barrier of week 9 to 12. Higher reps must be approach when you've perfect form, on the contrary you're building nothing just bad habits and bad form.
Do I am struggle on higher reps with PPP? Of course, but it doesn't mean nothing, just that this is my first mastery week with this exercise and now that I've form I've to increase endurance maintaining form. I say always that I spent months and months with HBP/PE2 just doing weeks 9 to 12. So...
That higher reps is time consuming, but completely rewarding.
Yeah...I failed this week too on PPP. I already knew last week that I wasn't going to get it due to the last reps feeling a tad forced and the whole effort feeling like too much. Time to spend some time in the suck gaining endurance
.
Strange though I feel a massive bicep pump, even though this is a pushup movement.
Ok, I love this things, really. Another cure of humility, SAME as what did happen with Pushups; that moment when you realise you're doing the thing wrong. At least in this case I got myself quickly before I could build bad habits.
So... This picture is from October PPP form. Look at the angle of shoulder-elbow-wrist; it looks totally open, like a wide triangle.

And here is the picture from today PPP form. Look the same angle. Oh, sure, you can't, because there's no same angle at all!

The reason I found to this is when I started to do last weeks (9 to 12, mastery weeks to me) I focused on just do the reps because I thought I could handle the form... well, I can't; well, actually I can, because if I upload this video to the public on Youtube all people will say to me tat is perfect form; NO THERE ISN'T! Because that last angle is more short and therefore more easier the exercise is because there is less lean fordward.
We're looking for excellence, not just regular results. So, excellence have to be in all matters. Little details defines the differences between "regular" from Excellence.
So guys, I hope this really help to you, same as me. Go back to week 5. Mastery, it doesn't matter, I'll be back to you with a more REAL strenght.
hmmm, buen ojo! good eye!
Adriano Flo said:Mastery week fail on PPP, as I imagined. I foretell various microcycles on week 9-12 before now. Just as I did with HBP/PE2, I spent a lot of months with them but I think I'm not going to spent same months with HBP/PE3... will be less months, it is my suppose of course.
Well, here is my video of 5x10 mastery this week. There are 4 sets in the video; 2 last sets from Monday mastery, and another 2 from Thursday. Different angles both weeks.
It is funny because on Monday I think I was dying at the end of last set... And of course, a lot of flaws on my form, but I have to get the 10 reps no matter what, despite of "garbage reps", I want to build endurance too. Besides, I knew that I wasn't pass mastery week, but I didn't care: just do the scheme and shut up.
On thursday I was very well rested and my try was better, both form and endurance, I did more lean and more clean reaps compared to monday, but I know that there's no mastery however because there are a lot of flaws on my form.
On top of xiaopeng's is not a rest in any form... are a hell in between! At first the 3kg dumbell is like nothing, but set after set, seems weighter... and weighter... and on the last sets I can varely push backwards. Amazing feeling on my shoulder girdle, I've to say too.
Here's the video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-68BGEebNM&feature=youtu.be
I see you in 2014 with another update
Any advice would be appreciate.
Thanks family.
Hey, seems like you have made quite a research about HBP3 , shouldn't the hands be like by the hips the whole time?
Or does the hand position in this video pass as mastery?
At all VegVeg, at all.
That was the form of me first mastery week, and now I know that I'm not fully prepared yet to do so many reps it without losing form -in this case, losing the lean-.
So, not mastery at all.
Did you master these?
I'm a few weeks in and this thread helped a great deal (maybe sticky?).
Really shows how your form improved and some excellent advice as well. It's made me realise that I'm not staying hollow or protracting enough. Using a wall as a spotter to keep the lean is also a great trick.
Not yet. I got a dorsal wrist impingement 3 weeks ago and I'm rehabing revisiting HBP/PE2 and discover that I lost the required endurance to do 5x15 so and therefore mastery, so...
The thing with PPP's (and I already said in another thread) is that you've to know/feel perfectly the Planche Lean stance in order to master PPP's, because the top position of PPP is a Planche Lean; is you lack of PL protraction/depression, you'll lack of the same on PPP..
I read the whole thread quite ago and yes, is really interesting to see the progress along the months.
Looking at the old videos, I think you made great progress over these months, you will complete mastery soon!
Sorry to hear about your injury.
I'm still only on plank. I know exactly what you mean about having the PL. I wonder if I would be better off just repeating the last micro cycle of HBP:PE2 till my sPL get's up to PL?
This is an epic topic! Thanks for sharing your journey Adriano. I'm on SPL/PE5 and HBP/PE3 (and have been for a while!). I was starting to get a bit disheartened and confused but your information has confirmed what I recently began to think; these two elements will require significant time, effort and awareness.
Muchas gracias de nuevo.