This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Hbp/pe3 Form

Started by Adriano Augusto, February 6, 2013 · 71 Replies · 4,585 Views

Nic Branson

Zach has it.

The stronger your foundation the greater your potential. When in doubt take a step back and re-evaluate yourself.

Adriano Augusto

That means I have to stop doing PPP? Could there be some weak link on my PLean that is limiting my PPP?

 

sPL/PE5 it's my next progression on sPL/PE and I can start at week 5 for example to establish a foundation on Planche Leans, even though I did them always I don't mind, but I wish to know if my form it's sooo terrible that I have to stop doing PPP, considering that HBP it's part of Foundation.

 

I love talking about all this stuff.

 

Thank you.

CraigR

Zach/Nic - do you have any advice for people that are relatively new to GST and by following the F1 programming they will start working on PPP (HBP/PE3) before they've had any exposure to PL Leans (sPL/PE5)?

Nic Branson

First question is how are your push ups? Solid with hands NOT in front of shoulders? That is a common problem. As you progress into the PPP. You are doing a lean. That is your start position then you descend in a controlled fashion while working on maintaining your lean. If anything I have found getting into position with your feet against the wall and assume a lean. For most if your are focusing on keeping your shoulders infront of your hands you will find your feet actually slide forward a bit really getting you into position at the top.

CraigR

Thanks Nic!

 

I'm thinking about this from the perspective of helping a new person who is following the F1 programming and has never been exposed to a correct PL Lean.  It's always good to know what to look for in the earlier progressions that might stall progress later on.

 

I guess if you aren't strong enough to maintain the correct lean from the start, you can just run mini cycles whilst moving your hands back a little bit at a time until you can complete a full 12 week cycle with your hands in the correct position.

Nic Branson

Adriano: I took a look at your video. How are your sPL progressions? Do you have good protaction and tight form?

 

This is a case where the overall program across all movements builds on itself. From what I am seeing your problem could be starting there. Your form is not as bad as you think either. These things take time to build.

Adriano Augusto

Thanks for the replies.

 

Zach, when I started with BtGB program Hollow body holds were part of my warm up, basic stuff like arch holds, planks etc, but it's true that I didn't too much PL and now I know it that they are a big part of Foundation (different planks, PPP, PL, Push ups... that position)

 

Like I said, I'm analyzing the position filming myself a lot and doing a lot of attempts in order to mastery my position and then the real mastery of F1.

 

Nic, I don't think that protaction is a problem on this exercise because I do a lot of stretching, shrugs with bands, pilates, and my sPL progressions are fine (even swivel hips... thanks Ido Portal for Floreio Workouts and hips flexibility) etc etc... another think it's that I don't remember or forget protacting correctly during movement.

 

I'm going to work on my PLeans really hard because I suspect that problems come from there, as you are saying, and its logical because PL are first than PPP.

 

I love this sense of "build" a foundation. 

 

Two quotes that has been revealing: "there is a difference in knowing what to do and feeling what is right to do" and "These things take time to build".

 

Thanks again. Very helpful.

Nic Branson

You might be mis-understanding I am not talking about mobility at all. The strength and form components of your planks mainly.

Adriano Augusto

Since february, such a long time :D

 

 I've spent a lot of time on my Planche leans and HBP/PE2, so I'm back here with HBP/PE3 and comparing me with the first videos on this thread, it's quite evident that Planche Leans, like Zach said, are gold. 

 

So, here's my actual Pseudo Planche Push Ups. 5x2, little by little. I'm a little confused yet with the correct form on this becuse there are a lot of discussions about it, but here is my try.

 

http://youtu.be/ghmXnTClEDA

 

Led Zeppelin <3

 

Any advice?

 

Thanks!

FredInChina

Video unavailable Adriano :(

Christian

From what i can see it looks decent. Hands at hips, not going backward at the bottom. Don't know if you need to do the extra protraction at the top though.

FredInChina

Ah good.

Looking good Adriano - you are getting stronger :)

Jon Douglas

Looks great! Just keep mindful of your lower back, it doesn't arch but it gets a little close sometimes at the bottom :)

Great job

B1214N

It's pretty good overall. Your biggest flaw is that you are losing the lean when you push back up. Ideally you should also reach full protraction at the top. You should also show your whole legs so we can see if your feet were sliding.

3D Guy
B1214N said:

It's pretty good overall. Your biggest flaw is that you are losing the lean when you push back up. Ideally you should also reach full protraction at the top. You should also show your whole legs so we can see if your feet were sliding.

i think the same about the leaning, try to keep it all the way

wamarler

Hey Adriano_Flo, thanks for posting your videos. Watching you adjust your technique at the direction of the other forum members is very educational.

 

One thing I see when I compare your latest video to Coach's athlete in the course, is that the degree of protraction and depression of Coach's athlete's shoulders never shifts during the  movement. His upper back stays solid from start to finish, for the entire ROM. Perhaps that is something to work towards?

 

I'm hardly an expert though -- don't have mastery in HBP/PE2 yet.

Micawberian

Adriano_Flo, I have an aside question. Are you using those wrist straps (looks like tiger paws?) because of a wrist extension issue? And if so, are they working well for you?

Adriano Augusto

Well guys, thanks for the suggestions; are very useful to me.

 

This is a new movement to me and I am adjusting it each time that I practices, so is a new journey of micro-adjustment.

 

Wamarler, I remember Coach said it's impossible achieve full protraction at the bottom of any push ups; If I remember correctly, of course. 

 

What I see different it that the feet of the athlete seems have more tension than mine, or at least, more "upright" than mine. I don't know if this has correlation with his upper back the whole movement.

 

Biren P. Yes, are tiger paws. I have it since february when I injured my wrist in a straddle work. HS1 wrist work are doing wonders with my wrist, but even thought, I still use paws to things like this, planche leans, ppp, etc; I feel more comfortable on my wrist with them, they are like a pair more of muscles and tendons, although I try don't use it always to not used to it. 

 

New video, keep improving. I think 3, 4 and 5 sets are the best form of mine at the moment.

 

 

Thanks in advance for the support!

Adriano Augusto

Aha, I'm here again!

 

As my planche leans are finally progressing, also my Pseudos, and I can manage more volume without losing form, which is a surprise to me.

 

3x4 this time, and not fatigued at all. 

 

Third rep of 1º set was a mess with my feet going backwards; I was using a scarf to slide but it has disadvantages too; on second set I prefered to pick a pair of slippers that gave me the lean and not that funny "back & forth" movement.

 

Second and third set seems better than other attempts and I feel more comfortable with the whole movement, like as finally I'm progressing too.

 

http://youtu.be/F4tK1pVClY8

 

Any input on this?

 

Thanks family!

Christian

In my view they look picture perfect! Nice work there.

jaz

Very good work Adriano !

Keilani Gutierrez

Adriano

 

eres una inspiracion! :P 

FredInChina

Living the dream baby!

Well done Adriano, eres una inspiracion, as KellianiG said :)