Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Daniel Taylor-Shaut

Daniel Taylor-Shaut

My right shoulder, specifically the anterior deltoid causes me a lot of frustration. Pretty much every day it is sore and somehow achy. It could possibly be a strain. I can function with full ability to do RC, HBP, and sPL movements I'm working on; and have complete ROM in HS, however, shoulder flexion overhead and laterally to shoulder height cannot be accomplished pain-free. Also, when I work on HS/PE1-im, sometimes there is extensive discomfort, however as I focus on engaging my traps I don't feel it as much in the shoulder.

I'm not sure if it's a bicep issue, which Coach has enumerated as being the root cause of a lot of shoulder issues, but I'm trying to get to the bottom of it. I'm wondering if anyone has any further insights. I try to do doorway hangs every day to loosen up the shoulder joint and keep it active and functioning (also deep yoga squats). If anyone has any advice on this issue, I would appreciate it.

I currently throw in HBP stretches from Foundation 2 to help try and alleviate this discomfort, but if there were to be a worrying joint or ligament area this would be it. Everything else is progressing at its own speed and in its own time at a steady clip. 

Thanks

Rajesh Bhat

Muscle pain may be a strain or pull, best to rest it and use ice+pain medication. 

Bone pain is bad and should be attended to by a doctor.

• Upvote 1

Daniel Taylor-Shaut

I figure it is muscle pain, given that I can put pressure on my shoulder (i.e. TBs and HS/PE2) but movement isn't pain-free, neither through lateral motion nor through overhead flexion. I guess you're right. I'm just stubborn. Figure I should work on HS/PE1-im more, with a wider grip, even though I have achieved mastery. In that I do the mobility and I focus on not aggravating the ligament/muscle while still working the trapezii muscles. 

Giovanni Garcea

I'm slowly recovering from right shoulder tendinitis. I'm not sure if your injury is similar to mine, but I found that icing after workout has been hugely helpful. I have a shoulder strap that has two pockets to accommodate two ice packs and I use it every evening after workout. Other than that, in my case working on external rotation strength, scapular mobilization and strengthening of muscles around the scapula have been the key ingredients of the plan my PT put together and results have been very good so far, but if the two injuries are not the same, than your perfect recipe might be different, though I understand that ice and external rotation work help in most cases.

• Upvote 2

This could be the beginning stages of impingement which is often caused by improper shoulder mechanics.

Very difficult to treat online but in doing these movements experiment and try to find the most pain free pattern.

Also it could be wise to back off a bit if the problem has been ongoing worth no improvement.

• Upvote 1

Daniel Taylor-Shaut

Yeah. In all honest I've been a bit headstrong with HS/PE1-im. In my frustration I've pushed through it, though I've obtained mastery I think I'm going to a) back off on the mobility until my shoulder is less inflamed and sore; and b) work more slowly through the mobility with progressively greater weighted loads.

Do you think it would be worth my while to look into impingement prevention? Also, in understanding the shoulder muscles' connection to the biceps tendons and muscles I realize that that too could be straining and causing some of the pain. I've thus far been foam rolling and applying a cream that has arnica and eucalyptus to try and help relax the muscles and increase bloodflow to the area.

Kate Abernethy

... I'm going to a) back off on the mobility until my shoulder is less inflamed and sore; and b) work more slowly through the mobility with progressively greater weighted loads.

Do you think it would be worth my while to look into impingement prevention? ...

Yes, yes, yes, YES!

• Upvote 1

Daniel Taylor-Shaut

https://breakingmuscle.com/strength-conditioning/how-to-self-diagnose-your-shoulder-pain

Based on this link, it seems most likely that I have suffered some biceps tendonitis. I can move the arm and its not a holy s*** feeling of 'does that ever hurt' but rather a 'hmm, this feels like it become a bad thing if left unattended'. A pebble in the shoe, for metaphor's sake. So, with that being said. Does anyone have further recommendations beyond rest, ice, lower weights on -ims: HBP/PE2-im and HS/PE1-im, specifically come to mind. In the case of the former, I don't really ever feel any pain from this, however with the latter I do. The obvious thing is to take several steps back with the HS -im which is frustrating because it's already been about a year that I've been working on this single progression. But I guess this program isn't linear or, frankly, that progressive. We'll see what develops. 

Keilani Gutierrez

stretching, rest, no pain causing movements/positions, acupuncture.

massage from an experience body work is really good too.

hope you recover man. i know the feeling.

• Upvote 2

Mark Schoenhard

I had shoulder surgery in March.  Using bromelain, boswelia, zinc, B complex and white willow bark instead of NSAID.  I had a flare up a couple of weeks ago from overuse.  Immediately went to rest with passive mobility, acupuncture, extra sleep and icing a ton and am almost back to normal.  When you have to rest this is where the GB system truly shines.  When you return to action you will be amazed how much your body has adapted and kept strong and nimble.  Trust the system and keep healthy.

Rajesh Bhat

I second the recommendation to rehab and just stretch for a while with improved vitamins, calcium, etc. and ice (no vigorous workouts). Wait till you have little to no pain and then return to where you are. Better safe than sorry :) Also, show it to a doctor if pain persists.

Daniel Taylor-Shaut

Hey Mark I definitely trust the system and already take most of those supplements. I, however, think Cole Dano is right and it's the warning signs of impingement. I'm going to stop my handstand work for a while until this goes away and just focus on Foundation and Stretch series. Rest is best. I also need to recognize that the Handstand series is in no way a progressive workout likened to Foundations but is skill work. Which, I'm still figuring out what all that means for my body. I intend to not get hurt in that exploratory process, so no Handstand work for now. Ice and arnica until it's better.

• Upvote 1

Daniel Taylor-Shaut

So, surprise....I was stubborn and did my HS work today. But, when doing HS/PE1-im I dropped from a painful 6.25lbs at shoulder width to a pain-free 1.25lbs at wider than shoulder width. No more aggravation of the shoulder. Still taking it easy and going to progress this -im much more slowly. Also working PE2-im has proved to be painless at shoulder-width, though I'm only using 2.5lbs. So it's evident to me that my shoulder flexion is greatly limited while my extension is not. Flexion will be emphasized here on out, and more carefully.

• Upvote 2

Philip Papandrea

It's interesting because I started getting this same type of shoulder pain as you that I'm still trying to fix around the time the recommendation came out that hs/pe1 should only be done at shoulder width and not wider. I used to get no pain from this exercise either at a wider grip ,and since I've narrowed it the pain has begun. I can hang from a bar at shoulder width with no pain which to me, seems like it puts the arms in the same position as pe1. Wonder if it's acceptable to go wider like you did or if there is some other progression at shoulder width that would not cause impingement?

It sounds like you misinterpreted the recommendation. The goal is shoulder width BUT you have to start from where you are. If the bar is far in front of you the go wider until you are at a width that you can just manage to get the bar inline with your torso. As that gets easy shorten the width and repeat.

• Upvote 1

It sounds like you misinterpreted the recommendation. The goal is shoulder width BUT you have to start from where you are. If the bar is far in front of you the go wider until you are at a width that you can just manage to get the bar inline with your torso. As that gets easy shorten the width and repeat.

Daniel Taylor-Shaut

I agree with Cole Dano, I shortened the width and increased the weight way too quickly I believe. Degrees of studliness as the Coach says. I ain't got it, not in my shoulders at least, and not yet. But little by little. Should I decrease the width and then increase the weight? Or vice versa? Also, when I increase the weight should I start with the least width possible that enables full ROM?

Daniel Taylor-Shaut

So an update. I've cut out the handstand work and was doing my upper body work. My right shoulder is still hurting though, I feel like the Xiaopings are irritating it. I imagine then that sigh.....I should refrain from upper body work involving the shoulder until this bursitis/impingement symptoms go away and I've recovered. [insert expletives]...I was just about done with HBP/PE2, too. Blasted. Well guess I'll just get ripped abs and solid knee mobility until this issue resolves itself.

Does anyone have any other insight? Foam roll? Massage? Icy hot? Door hangs for brachiate on? Or should I simply just leave it be? If rest is best, then for how long? Trying to go about this in the right way and to do so the quickest way possible. Also, once my shoulders are recovered what do people recommend about getting back on it for my upper body strength and mobility? Insight from any authorities on this, or GB athletes and coaches is appreciated.

Thanks

Doug Grainger

I had something similar, and decided that maybe i'm just weak.  took a week or two off and went back to PE1 with less incline than the first time.   Once I hit mastery with that, less incline and work up to mastery  again.   Maybe after all that, I'll get back to PE2.   i'll see.

• Upvote 1