Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Son is going vegan?

Rajesh Bhat

Guillaume Schollier

Hi crashnburn and all,

Some excellent information in your post. Wonderful to see you mentioning Ayurveda here.

I’m passionate about this wonderful source of knowledge myself, for its incredibly encompassing wisdom, both esoteric and practical.

Ayur- (Life) Veda (Science) is a living science, by which I mean it is applicable and adaptable to evolving times.

The principles of Ayurveda are everlasting and applicable in modern times as they are based on knowledge of the very essence of life. However, the practical implementation of those principles may produce varying results according to ever changing circumstances.

So, some of the practical implementation advice that was given centuries ago is less applicable in modern age. For instance, sattvic milk is very scarcely found in most places now; even in India which probably hosts some of the luckier cows in the world it is much less commonly found than it used to be. This is one of the reasons (some) yogis and mindful eaters in general are increasingly choosing for a plant based diet.

Therefore, the ideal seems to combine old, time proven knowledge and modern findings according to our individual circumstances. This is by the way an important idea in Ayurveda: To optimally adapt diet and lifestyle of the individual to his own nature and his environment. While all human beings have the same essence, they are also all unique in their particular constellation (Each individual entity is composed of a unique matrix of sub-essential elements forming his/her constitution). 

PS: Here some explanation of the Sanskrit words used for those not familiar, yet interested.

Ghee is usually translated as “clarified butter”.

Sattvic means “containing the qualities of Sattva”, where Sattva refers to a certain purity in the essence of being. A person being dominant in sattvic qualities would be quite serene, poised, harmonious and have strong clarity of mind for instance. Some foods (such as ripe fruits, nuts and lentils/grains cooked by a sattvic natured person) promote a sattvic state of mind and overall health, whereas other foods are more likely to aggravate or provoke rajasic (excitable) or tamasic (inert) tendencies. Until not so long ago, cow's milk was safely found to be a sattvic food. With the current life circumstances of cows (both their diet and treatment) this is hardly so anymore.

Ivan Pavlovic

Minute of silence for those who think that this guy on video above is vegan and does not use steroids.

• Upvote 3

Guillaume Schollier

Accepting someone for who they are is hard, but judging someone without knowing is the biggest mistake.

Testosterone and estrogen are steroids... which are produce naturally in both male and female creatures. Male creatures tend to have more testosterone than estrogen while the females have more estrogen than testorerone.

Since vegans have nothing clogging their cardio vascular system, more blood flows through out the body, which then gives one a stronger heartbeat. With a stronger heartbeat comes a more testosterone and/or estrogen flowing throughout the body, a lower resting heartrate and a longer life span.

Let's remember everyone doesn't have the same body type. Endomorphs tend to be bigger naturally than say an ectomorph.

• Upvote 2

Anthony Bhaskaradas

i am a HUGE fan of Chris Kresser, who is all about being open minded and honest about everything regarding health. His motto is WHATEVER WORKS & DOES THE LEAST AMOUNT OF HARM.

So I strongly recommend you read his two articles on vegetarian diets:

http://chriskresser.com/why-you-should-think-twice-about-vegetarian-and-vegan-diets/

http://chriskresser.com/what-everyone-especially-vegetarians-should-know-about-b12-deficiency/

• Upvote 1

Guillaume Schollier

Minute of silence for those who think that this guy on video above is vegan and does not use steroids.

Thanks, Pafke.

I'm up for a longer meditation also.  B-)

By the way, do you believe the strongmen Patrick's competing with don't use steroids? And do you really believe Patrick is eating plenty of meat to become stronger in the last couple of years? 

He would be exposed pretty fast if he did.. Maybe there's possibilities you're overlooking. 

Best of luck with your training and lifestyle choices.

• Upvote 1

You cant be as strong as you could be with a vegan diet, period.

Well, that's just not true.

Ivan Pavlovic

By the way, do you believe the strongmen Patrick's competing with don't use steroids? And do you really believe Patrick is eating plenty of meat to become stronger in the last couple of years? 

He would be exposed pretty fast if he did.. Maybe there's possibilities you're overlooking.

He definitely is on something no matter what he eat. Probably he is eating meat or animal product as well but who knows.

Saying that he is vegan strongman made him famous and he is now seling books, shirts and programs if i seen right, not bad idea at all Patrik. :D :D

Ivan Pavlovic

Since vegans have nothing clogging their cardio vascular system, more blood flows through out the body, which then gives one a stronger heartbeat. With a stronger heartbeat comes a more testosterone and/or estrogen flowing throughout the body, a lower resting heartrate and a longer life span.

post-12111-0-86425700-1444497891_thumb.j

Cholesterol is the building block of testosterone. Leydig cells get most of what they need to produce Testosterone by absorbing the cholesterol floating around in our blood from meat and other cholesterol rich food that we eat.

Some meat eaters tend to live longer than some vegans and some vegans can get cancer while meat eater can stay cancer free, and vice versa. Nobody isnt the same and saying that somebody will live longer and healthier on vegan diet is complete bull****. No hard feelings :).

• Upvote 2

Guillaume Schollier

He definitely is on something no matter what he eat. Probably he is eating meat or animal product as well but who knows.

Saying that he is vegan strongman made him famous and he is now seling books, shirts and programs if i seen right, not bad idea at all Patrik. :D :D

He's making a living out of his passion, just like the Paleo guys, or sports coaches, or music makers, etc etc. Bless them all for finding a way to do what they love most and sharing their experience to those interested. By the way, those at the top of their game often give a lot for free. They have so much to contribute it's easy for them to give value at no cost and keep the money making part very profitable on more involved services.

I feel pretty confident Patrik is (close to) 100 per cent vegan.. I think you wouldn't have any hard time trusting him if you'd been around people eating like this and enjoying a plant based diet yourself. I remember my early days when transitioning to a meat free diet; I seemed to be the only one in my environment at first and it looked like an impossible thing given what I've heard all childhood and adult life long. Once you get into it, your reality changes and the impossible becomes reality. 

Once upon a not so long ago time a high percentage of the things we're doing today seemed impossible to hardly anyone living in that time. 

GenericGymnast,

It appears your son is basing his diet choices on the cruel actions of others.  I can sympathize with the thoughts on confined animals treated wrong.  It makes me a little sick actually.  However, it may be a heavy burden for a kid to be so upset with others actions that it impacts his food choices.  As a father, I have thought about this a lot and want to address the education component. 

I recommend raising your dinner from the first day of its life, until its final momements.  Give it the life you feel comfortable with... see that it is raised correctly in your eyes.  This will supersede the poor actions of others and set a good example for our kids.  If the food is only bought in the stores, without the connection to the life of the food, the diet choices may be based out of fear and mistrust of others.

“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”​ - Aldo Leopold, A Sand County Almanac.

Ryan

All I know is that the most important factors for testosterone levels is Sleep, low stress, getting sunshine and a good diet. And the only minerals that are really directly related to testosterone production is Zinc and vitamin D. Vitamin D is what expresses 1/24 of all the genes in our bodies, including the genes that dictate our hormone levels aka testosterone. Zinc is readily available in meat sources, which is why there is truth behind "meat=testosterone" and that the strongest people in the world (that don't have the accusation of steroid use surrounding their name) eat an omnivorous diet.

We're omnivores and eating as such is what's best for the bodies.

The science is backing this fact.

If you don't think that humans are omnivores and that we are in fact herbivores, then why are humans the only "herbivores" on the planet that do not have cellulase or any ruminates in our stomachs?

Literally every herbivore has cellulase, which is what allows them to process plants so proficiently. Even termites.

• Upvote 3