Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Homemade stall bars

Malcolm Lazarus

Malcolm Lazarus

I was considering making stallbars from metal tubing as used by tubeclamps. I thought the 33.7mm tubing, 4 foot lengths attached to 2x6inch wooden uprights with tubeclamp wall flanges. Any advice would be appreciated

• 4 weeks later...
Malcolm Lazarus

Thanks for the reply. Your'e set up is very impressive. A couple of questions:

I wondered about the strength of the wooden dowels when performing exercises like vertical pike walks which apply a lot of pressure pulling on the bars.

Without a drill press and just a hand drill I was concerned about not being able to drill properly aligned holes.

What type of screws would you recommend to attach to wall studs?

Mark Davies

I'm sorry but it wasn't my project I stumbled across it on the Internet while researching how to build my own bars. From what I can tell you can drill them only with a hand drill, I would make sure you have them aligned properly. Based upon other research using a hardwood for the dowels will suffice. Attaching to the wall I would use an L bracket and sturdy hardware, maybe even lab screws if you are concerned with it holding.

Finally I included a link with plans....good luck.

http://m.imgur.com/a/hXar4

Brent Johnson

Using L brackets is probably less secure than mounting boards across the back of the stall bars and then screwing through them into studs or screwing matching boards into studs and then screwing into those. But, I've never tried L brackets. Go to Home Depot if you're in the U.S. and pick 2" or 3" GRK cabinet screws, depending on exactly how you're going to mount your bars. These are self- drilling, self-tapping screws with a wide head mimicking an attached washer and have an incredible amount of compression. I've used them on multiple projects...workbench, stall bars, exercise boxes, etc. They're awesome.

Mark Davies

I would probably do the mounting boards across and then use some type of L bracket to attach to a stud.  I wouldn't get a flimsy bracket and yes I would use the GRK cabinet screws, have used them before on multiple projects, work great.  I think its up to the individual, i've seen multiple designs on google and I think they will all work if you reinforce them correctly.....

• 3 months later...
Johnny De Los Santos

Hello guys,

Here are my DIY project pics. I have been wanting this for a while now and finally got to it.

I am 44 years young 5'7" tall 148 pounds, desk monkey. I started doing F1, H1 in Nov 2014 and later the Stretch series. Unfortunatelly I  stopped almost completelly when summer 2015 was near due to social responsabilities. I still do some work during the week when I had a chance combine with some other excercises like natural moment excersices, yoga and 5 tabitan rides.

Thanks coach, GB Team and GB community for your existance. Still a long way to go but definitelly alot of improvement in getting my body back.

I am now ready get back to the program and decided to get me some Stallbars. I am not a work worker at all. Thanks to my brother I had acess to the equipment I need it to get the job done but not enough equipment to do it 100% perfect.. still I am really happy with how it turned out.

I have to admit that I spent almost as much money as if I bought them from a big manufactor but it was fun process and learning experience.

I got my design idea from artimexsport.

All the wood is Red Oak from Dyke Lumber the nearest decent lumber supplier in my area since Homedepot or Lowes do not carry anything similar to what I was looking for

Side planks are 8'x5.25"x1.75"

Rung are 1.25" I believe

I cut the rung to 36 inches and drilled 1.25" deep holes for them since I didnt want the rungs to show on the other side of the planks. Rung center is at 2.5" (near center of planks) and the top 2 rung are offset from center as you can see in the pic. The screws on back of planks are 3.5 inches long as in the artimexsport design. I like this way to prevent the rungs from turning. They are install on the wood studs on my supposed to be dinning room wall. I used 4 L brackets on each side as supposed to 2 in the artimexsport design cause I am a bit paramoid about safety. the top 2 screws are 3 inches the other 6 are 2 inches. There is a little flexing on the rungs but nothing major.

Lets get this show on the road :)

post-16969-0-57020700-1446054033_thumb.j

post-16969-0-09057900-1446054039_thumb.j

post-16969-0-58962000-1446054043_thumb.j

post-16969-0-05966000-1446054049_thumb.j

post-16969-0-84295700-1446054053_thumb.j

post-16969-0-00334700-1446054058_thumb.j

• Upvote 2