GB Programs With Other Training?

Started by jsauter, June 10, 2015 · 8 Replies · 2,794 Views

jsauter

Hi all,

 

I'm very new to Gymnastic Bodies and I have a quick question about the programs, in particular the F1 and H1 programs. Could these be done in conjunction with other training, whether they are incorporated into an existing workout program or done on off days? Or are the programs designed to be done exclusively?

 

Best,

 

Jack

katlinchen

I would say it depends on what other training you do and how fit you are.

I, personally, am doing fine with 2 hours of normal fun sports at university (usually it is gymnastics, sometimes also track and field or running) plus around 1 1/2 hours of handstands and strength almost everyday followed by 30 mins stretch.

I would say everything cardio - related is totally fine like running, biking, martial arts, whatever. If you want to lift, I would say this is also fine, but you need to find out how you deal with it.

Maybe you could do Foundation first and then lift afterwards? 

But it is hard to say if I don't know your current level of fitness... :)

Cole Dano

Generally speaking, yes you can do Foundations/HS with other training, and many of us do!

 

The possible conflict is if the other training is also strength training.

itaman8

I'm doing F7 twice a week, H three times a week, and each S course one per week, and I'm running after every handstand session (3 times a week). Running was my first sport, I started to run before two years or more and then began with the courses.

Chris Garay

Hi jsauter,

 

I too combine the GB programs with some other training. For about a year I was doing Foundation, Handstand, Olympic weightlifting, Brazilian jiu-jitsu, and bouldering. As you can imagine, that was too much (funny how long one needs to beat one's head against the wall before realizing it!).

 

Nowadays I prioritize all Foundation, Handstand, Stretch, and Rings work before spending a little bit of time here and there bouldering and hitting some supplemental accessory lifts. The removal of certain other practices has allowed my GST work to take a more focused front seat in my training. I plan to swim, mountain bike, or trail run about once a week or so this summer as the weather is nice outside as well, but only if my body feels up to it.

 

Best,

Chris

jsauter

Thank you everyone for the replies!

 

The training I'm currently doing is more along the lines of metabolic conditioning, so it may not be demanding in the same ways as traditional strength training, but there is still a lot of time under tension and nervous system demand. @Cole I'm not sure if this still falls under the possible conflict area.

 

I will take the advice that you all seemed to echo and listen to my body while adjusting my current training as needed. It's awesome how diverse the interests of this community are, even just in this thread!

 

@Chris I've definitely been there (referring to over training). Like most things, more is not always better in training, and it often takes rude wake-up call from your body to realize that.

Joshua Slocum

Metcon on top of Foundation isn't the greatest idea, since it's similar work. Generally, anything that isn't strength or strength-endurance training is probably fine.

Jon Douglas

We did a thread about Crossfit-style metcons + Foundation a couple weeks ago :)

Joshua Slocum
Jon Douglas said:

We did a thread about Crossfit-style metcons + Foundation a couple weeks ago :)

In particular, this thread, to save any readers a search.