Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Training for people in their 40's.

Fabio Caliolo

Melvyn Bentham

I'm 45 and I didn't think I would be able to this ever when I saw it a couple of years ago , then I bought foundation and handstand , I can hold a handstand ,advanced tuck , front lever ( not very good one ) I've a core that is very strong, more muscle and a better body shape than I've ever had just doing weights , straddle planche next for me ,hollow back press , manna ( never ) so go and get it and get started your waiting time.and good lucktrim.E35BC0C5-7EA8-4EBA-9A2C-0E72CC9090D0.MOV

• Upvote 5

• 2 weeks later...
Joel Savell

I'm soon to be 42, and have a similar story to the other 40-somethings posting here.  Years of sporadic weight training, surfing, and extended "desk-jetting" left me with major imbalances and mobility issues.  Started taking gymnastics classes from a local gym about 10 months ago, loved it so much that I ignored my aches and pains and pressed on with dangerous skill training I had no business attempting with my poor condition.  Body finally started breaking down too much, to the point where I couldn't even surf anymore, which was entirely opposite of my original reasons for learning gymnastics.  That's when I bought Foundation 1 and Handstand 1, 4 months ago.  At first I was trying to fit both the gym class skill training and F1 H1.  But after aggravating a neck injury while attempting round offs, I've stopped all tumbling and am focusing on F1 H1, along with swimming for cardio.  The foundation progression format allows you to work through these injuries, safely strengthening and promoting flexibility without aggravating.  The best part is it keeps you interested, and if you follow the workout plan you will always progress, and will never stagnate.

• Upvote 2

Andrew Bell

Hi All

I am 46 ( 47 very soon) and have just started foundation and HS.

Looking forward to learning to do a handstand before I reach 50  :)

• Upvote 1

Kate Abernethy

Looking forward to learning to do a handstand before I reach 50  :)

I'm sure you will - most likely way before then - and set your sights higher!  :D

• Upvote 1

Patrick McDonnell

Great to see all the 40 plus people. 40 is the new 30 anyway. I'm 49, and started about 46. Here are my thoughts on gymnastics approaching 50.

First, your static strength levels do not seem to degrade with age in the same way that speed and quickness degrades. In other words, I don't seem to have the same explosive strength that I did when I was younger, but you still have all the strength you need. It is more of a "man's strength" than the young buck strength. Think the old grizzled farmer who can still pick up large feed sacks all day long while the young guy tires himself out in an hour. Have a pull up competition with a younger guy. If the rule is how many super strict in perfect form, 1 second up, 2 seconds down, I am going to be right with them. If the game is how many can you knock out in a minute, kipping and throwing, I'm losing. This means that the gradual progression system set forth in foundations and handstand is almost perfectly suited for the older athlete. 

Second, your pain threshold is much higher as you get older. I've noticed the same thing in endurance sports. Maybe its mental, but I seem to whine a lot less than the folks in their twenties I train with. And I remember just feeling and experiencing more pain when working out when I was younger. I just think you are mentally tougher and can keep the concept that pain passes in better perspective. 

Third, you get injured easier and stay injured longer. This means that you have to be careful and progress very gradually. We are past the "no pain, no gain" stage. At our age, if something is really hurting, you are not just going to work through it. And because our pain threshold is higher, if you are hurting, its probably more likely an injury is blossoming than you are just looking for an excuse to wus out. Being hurt impedes progress. 

Fourth, if you start to progress into skill elements like tumbling, fear is a much bigger issue. I take an adult coed gymnastic class where we do some tumbling and bar work. I get a great back handspring and then I lose it because I start thinking too much. I get a great back tuck and then start to get up in my head. During some periods, I will be literally afraid to do it. Other times, its automatic and perfect. Same is true on tuck fly aways off the bar, or starting to progress into giants. One session I will be doing text book flyaways off the high bar, other sessions I will be afraid to do even a single one. The problem is that you have to commit. You can't be equivocal when you are upside down and in the air. So if you start working skills like this, make sure that you have a coach that understands the difference between an adult and a kid. I have to be in work the next day and have a family that depends upon me. I always use harnesses, spotters, etc long after I have gotten a skill. Unless you did this stuff as a kid, you just don't have that well-ingrained muscle memory developed over years that makes it almost automatic. The boys competitive team are in the gym 4-6 hours a day since they have been little more than toddlers. You are not going to get that type of skill going to an adult class twice a week as an adult with your mind on your work and family. There are many times, I just say, "not tonight." And then come back a week or two later, and my head is in the right spot. 

Fifth, see point one again. In a class setting there are strength skills that the younger guys have a hard time matching. Forget that kipping muscle up stuff that every young cross fit guy comes in doing, I can do them slow and strict. Pullovers over the bar, same. L-sits, they are crying and I'm chilling. Play to your strengths. My coach is always amazed that there are basic strength skills where he will use me as a model, but then my round off or cart wheel looks like something from a comedy routine. Any kind of balance beam work is humbling. On the rings, my swing is terrible which makes back uprises and other skill elements tough. On the other hand, I can easily get a ring handstand. Sometimes I will practice with a 30 year old guy, and he easily swings up to a back uprise, but kips his muscle up and can't get beyond a shoulder stand. Here is an example of my simple bar routine that is easily within the abilities of most 40 plus guys after a few years. IMG_1603.mov

Finally, be consistent and you will make slow steady progress. I have bounced around the trendy world of fitness since the early 80s and seen/participated in all the various trends. In my humble opinion, there is nothing that comes close to building functional strength as gymnastics. When I started, I could not do anything. This is a great practical program. It is perfect for men in their 40s and beyond who want to stay fit and strong. Glad to see I'm not alone. 

• Upvote 22

Michael Moore

I will be 48 in two weeks. Runner/US Army fitness through seven years of college and Army. Added cross training in the 90s. Dabbled with Crossfit in the early 2000s (major aches and pains) then migrated to Kettlebell/bodyweight for 10years. Now GST with 15% kettlebells and some Barre classes with my wife. I must admit I have made slow progress, probably by not programming enough rest and low intensity  weeks. Two kids with work/family obligations can make training  spotty.  Nonetheless I am super happy with Foundation 1. Way more flexible-wife amazed that she can rub my back without me howling in pain from stiffness. Barre class teacher also noted good flexibility. Very happy with body composition improvements despite fairly unclean diet.  I'm not supposed to be doing pull-ups at my level but when I throw them in they feel super strong and the lower body stays tight. As noted before super friendly community here and on FB.  Buy F1/H1, it will be the best fitness decision you will make this year. Regards, Mike.

Andrew Bell

Wow - I did my first ever GB session tonight. Foundation 1 PE1 and I am grinning like a child  :D

Certainly not easy and I really sucked on the mobility parts but I am hooked!

I had my 8 and 4 year old sons joining in.

Wish I was a kid again.

• Upvote 6

Glenn McNevin

Hi all,

I'm 43. Started F1 and H1 nearly 2 years ago. I found the mobility plus the fundamental strength work sorted out a lot of old injuries. I'm getting stronger and more mobile day by day (slowly but surely!). I'd be on the sidelines otherwise!! How about a thread specifically for us old goats?? 

:tent:

• Upvote 2

Andrew Bell

Hi all,

I'm 43. Started F1 and H1 nearly 2 years ago. I found the mobility plus the fundamental strength work sorted out a lot of old injuries. I'm getting stronger and more mobile day by day (slowly but surely!). I'd be on the sidelines otherwise!! How about a thread specifically for us old goats?? 

:tent:

Sounds like a good idea - is 40 the "old goat" lower limit?

Luzian Scherrer

I'm 43. Started F1 and H1 nearly 2 years ago.

Congratulations on the two years! I'm just about 10 months in. How far did you get in those two years?

Tobias Åkeblom

I started when I was around 47 I'm now turning 52. This site was a real life changer for me.

Mats, what is your training background before starting GB?

I am turning 40 in august and are on my second year doing GST. Body feels great! 

Glenn McNevin

Sounds like a good idea - is 40 the "old goat" lower limit?

Could be. 40 is the new 30 as someone has stated above.  :D

Congratulations on the two years! I'm just about 10 months in. How far did you get in those two years?

I'm at the end of F2 / start of F3 for some elements and on the last of the PE for H1. Some of the mobility work I found really challenging, especially the H1 stuff, due to injuries. I'm happy to say my mobility is still improving and it feels great!!

Sandra Magnusen

I am a 53-year-old woman and started with the Foundations and Headstand package almost a year ago.  I cannot tell you how strong I have become, how my flexibility has increases in addition to repairing physical weaknesses that doctors kept telling me were age related and would just get worse. I have to admit, finding and using some of the muscle groups required for the more advanced exercises is like learning how to wag your tail. Don't let age get in the way of this amazing training. Just keep showing up, and when you can't get it right the first or the 100th time, just think about wagging your tail and have faith in yourself and the system.

• Upvote 16

Jesus Rojas

I'm 45 and I didn't think I would be able to this ever when I saw it a couple of years ago , then I bought foundation and handstand , I can hold a handstand ,advanced tuck , front lever ( not very good one ) I've a core that is very strong, more muscle and a better body shape than I've ever had just doing weights , straddle planche next for me ,hollow back press , manna ( never ) so go and get it and get started your waiting time.and good luckattachicon.giftrim.E35BC0C5-7EA8-4EBA-9A2C-0E72CC9090D0.MOV

Your front lever really amazed me !

Mats, what is your training background before starting GB?

I am turning 40 in august and are on my second year doing GST. Body feels great! 

Snow skiing, Waterskiing and skateboard. Did some weight lifting in school.

Mikkel Ravn

Mats is too modest. AFAIK, Mats is also, or at least used to be, the proud owner of a one armed pull-up.

Andrew Bell

Hi guys - I turned 47 yesterday and don't feel a day older than I did at 46.

I am into week 2 of all this gymnastics stuff. 

Last week I bought the F1 / H1 starter bundle and after 1 session and listening to coach

on a Robb Wolf podcast thought I should apply as a Zombie in the next World War Z movie  :D

So I got the stretching course and have planned my training week  with F1/H1 and stretching.

My 8 year old and 4 year old son like to join in - man are they flexible !!

I hope to be able to touch my toes by Christmas and do a handstand by my next birthday .

My wife things I am mad so I must be doing something right.

All the best

Andy

• Upvote 3

Scott Dunsford

Hey Guys/Gals!

I am 41 and started Foundations 1 this week.

I'm really excited about the potential to improve my mobility and strength through GB. I've been doing Crossfit on and off for the past 6 years and I also compete in a Track and Field meet once a year (sprinting). I'd say I have decent general fitness, but my mobility is just embarrassing. I can't touch my toes, not even close... I'm a good 8-10 inches away. My shoulders are a disaster. I cannot lift my arms straight up above my head so that my elbows are by my ears. I'd say my elbows can only go about 3 inches in front of my nose and that is just the obvious stuff! People keep telling me I need to do Yoga... but I really don't have the time or money to do Yoga and CF. GB seems like the perfect bridge between the two.

I did have a couple question...

Do most beginners do Foundations and the Handstand courses? I am only doing the F1, but the workouts do seem pretty short (starting out anyway...). I suppose I could add the H1 course...

How does the programming work? I did the assessment and I clicked on "this weeks workout" and it has the first weeks workout. Do I just keep clicking the "advance to next week" and it will progress? Or do I need to do something manually to progress my workouts as I go?

I appreciate your help! It is good to meet all of you. It's nice to see that I'm not the only one who has a wife that thinks her husband is getting strange.   :-)    A set of rings arrived at our house via UPS yesterday.

• Upvote 2

Andrew Bell

Hi Scotty

My rings also arrived this week - I pretend they are for my kids but my wife knows better !

I am doing F1 and H1 4 days and also 3 stretch sessions. It is manageable at the moment but I am sure it will get harder time wise.

I have reduced my weight lifting and crossfit sessions to 2 total per week.

I use yoga blocks and a strap for stretching and can just touch the top of the 9" block in a standing pike :(

I know slow and steady wins the day - but even after 2 stretch sessions I feel "slightly" less like concrete.

• Upvote 1

Douglas Reinot

@Scotty D - If you would have asked me 2 years ago whether I'd ever be excited about a  piece of exercise equipment I would have rolled my eyes so hard my hat fell off, but when my rings arrived I was like a kid in a candy store!

It took me a while to build up enough work capacity to recover from F1/H1/Stretch in combination, but you might be in a better spot with your background. I had zero athletic ability when I started. I actually found my way here because I wanted to learn how to do a handstand and yoga wasn't cutting it. I'd get through 40 minutes of an hour session for one quick 30 second go at a headstand. The emphasis seemed to be on 'practice' as opposed to 'progress.'

The manna series will do wonders for your hamstring flexibility and if you have granite shoulders, H1 is a must have. The thoracic bridge stretch series has been great, but I'd take H1 for my money. The early mobility work was absolutely magic for my shoulders. When I first started it was like the joints were thirsty to be worked through that range of motion, but the sensation was so completely new to me, I didn't know it. H1 and F1 were designed to be worked together, so I'd say go for it. Once you're started, you should just be able to hit 'advance to next week' to get your assignment. You may need to manually adjust if you can't demonstrate mastery of an element at the end of the week, or demonstrate mastery early. I found after a few months that I pretty much had the hang of the progression templates and don't really use the workout planner anymore.

Cheers,

• Upvote 1

Michaël Van den Berg

I'll be 41 in a couple of weeks and am currently working on the early F1/H1 progressions and starting with the stretch series. This is probably the third time I'm getting into GST after stumbling upon Coach's work in 2009 - earlier attempts suffered from finishing a PhD, illness, changing jobs, relocating and countless other 'life gets in the way' things. A recent major change in my life was becoming a father for the first time!

Now that my boy is almost 16 months old I finally feel as if things have settled a bit and it looks like no major changes are coming up in the foreseeable future, so I'm finally working out again (and loving it). My athletic background is a couple of years of taekwondo in my early 20s and about nine years of capoeira between ages 28 and 37. Realistically, I don't expect to finish all of Foundation (I'm looking at you, Manna and Straddle Planche) but I do expect to finish H1/H2, most of Foundation and a bit of Rings work before I'm 50. The Stretch series - definitely before I'm 45!

• Upvote 2

Michael Nunan

I'm 49 in 4 weeks and am two weeks into F1/H1/stretch. I only now do I see truly what a physical disaster area until 3 years ago (to the day today) when I started Crossfit. I have given solid commitment to CF and it has been transformative for me but has not fully addressed all the long-term mobility issues that stem from a lifetime spent sitting at desks programming computers for a living. I'm not sure how much anyone will feel my opinion counts at such an early stage in GB, but FWIW the thoracic bridge stretch module is the one that is really hitting me hardest in the early stages. H1 feels very gentle indeed by comparison, 5x60s tripod headstand is a knock-off and the push-up variations at PE1 level feel very gentle (except for FKP which I'm a hundred miles away from mastering). I'm doing one full cycle of block 3 before progressing just to be 100% sure I'm solid with everything, so maybe my feelings will change at PE2 level, but right now the bridge work in the stretch class is far more demanding and I'm not even hitting 20s of the 60s holds. I can't get into a fully elevated bridge, I'm just using yoga blocks to lift my feet an inch or two as a starting point. I'd say get the stretch series if you can in any way afford the additional money and time, it's powerful material.

• Upvote 1

Andrew Bell

So where are we all living?

I am from the UK but currently living in North Carolina USA

We - wife and two young kids are rmoving back to UK in Feb, no job to go home to yet but on the hunt.

It may sound strange or cheesy  but finding crossfit and then Olympic lifting and GymnasticBodies has given me

the confidence that at 47 I am not on the scrap heap yet and could start a new career if I wanted to.

• Upvote 2