Training for people in their 40's.

Started by Canucklehead, June 5, 2015 · 77 Replies · 34,139 Views

Canucklehead

Hi Everyone,

 

Newbie here looking for some info; if there is anyone here in their 40's like myself that is currently training with GB Online Courses or GB Online Classes, I'd like your input and advice.

 

Thanks.

Romulo

Hi ! 

 

Welcome to the forum! What kind of input/advice do you need?

Canucklehead

Hi Romulo,

 

Thank you kindly in advance for your assistance and for the welcome!   I'm a 41 year old male with no gymnastics experience and just started doing Online Classes two weeks ago.  At some point in the future, I'd like to progress to the Foundations or Handstand Online Courses. I'm more curious of whether it's advisable and whether it's common for people in their 40's to try something as challenging as Foundations or Handstand.  What is your opinion of the situation and what would you recommend in this case?

 

Thanks again!

chuchodani

Hi Canucklehead ! Yes, it's very advisable. In the other hand remember that it comes with a 30 day money back guarantee, so if you think the program is not for you, just use the guarantee. You have nothing to lose. 

Romulo

Well, I´m exactly your age! I totally recommend going straight to Foundation and Handstand as soon as you can! The progressions start at a totally feasible level for anyone, irrespective of experience. I live in Japan and I´ve seen some men in their 80´s doing giant swings on bar! Considering that, we are still very young!  ;):ph34r:

 

Coach designed the course in a way that is very safe and progressive, ensuring that we should have the necessary mobility to fit the strength level, decreasing also the risk of injuries. 

Canucklehead

@ chuchodani...Thank you very kindly for your advice!

@romulo...Thank you for your assistance. I now have the reassurance that we're never too old to try something challenging

Mats Trane

I started when I was around 47 I'm now turning 52. This site was a real life changer for me.

Canucklehead

@ Mats Trane...that's very impressive! There's always been a preconceived notion that gymnastics is for younger people. I'm starting to see, from everyone's posts that it really is possible to do these programs, regardless of age. Thank you as well, Mats!

Mats Trane
Canucklehead said:

@ Mats Trane...that's very impressive! There's always been a preconceived notion that gymnastics is for younger people. I'm starting to see, from everyone's posts that it really is possible to do these programs, regardless of age. Thank you as well, Mats!

For sure! The programs are designed so everyone can start out. Maybe we all can't reach the final exercises but who cares? You WILL get an amazing strenght and mobility!

Not only that, the GB community is super friendly. I've made friends from all parts of the world through the years of reading the Forum and going to Seminars.

Canucklehead

Yes, I've definitely noticed that everyone is definitely super friendly and willing to offer advice with no hesitation. I'm looking forward to trying these challenges in the very near future and it's become easier, knowing that there's support all around.

Jon Douglas
Mats Trane said:

For sure! The programs are designed so everyone can start out. Maybe we all can't reach the final exercises but who cares? You WILL get an amazing strenght and mobility!

Not only that, the GB community is super friendly. I've made friends from all parts of the world through the years of reading the Forum and going to Seminars.

Shucks ^_^

Yeah, I felt quite star-struck at the first seminar. Putting faces to the names was great.

The closest I have seen anyone come to witholding advice is if they have a genuine reason to believe the asker is getting way offtrack or ahead of themselves into potentially injurious territory.

Welcome aboard Canucklehead! :)

Canucklehead

Thank you, Jon! I'm looking forward to obtaining more information on these forums.

Matthew Berghella

I'm 39 and have been on Foundation and Handstand for 10 months.  So far I've found it both challenging and fascinating.  My advice is take it slowly, be super cautious and use the forum to get as much info about each exercise as possible.  Keep in mind your body is unique and YOU have to listen it in order to progress and avoid injuries.

Canucklehead

Thanks for the advice, Matthew! It's great to see all these posts and the experiences of everyone on here.

Mark Collins

I am 40 next month. I started F1 and H1 a couple of years ago. I have had to overcome a lot of imbalances in that time and now feel better than when I was 25. I feel like my training is only getting started.

Even if you never finish Foundation and handstand your body will be dramatically different from than the path you are currently travelling on.

Canucklehead

Thank you for your input, Mark! I can't reiterate enough about how hesitant I was in taking it to the next level. However, with everything I've seen on these posts, the future challenges ahead can be met with the correct mindset.

LateStarter@46

:angry: Thank you for the indirect reminder of my age ;)    I'll be 48 soon and have spent two years on Foundation. I would say exactly what Matthew Berghella did above, and also Mark's comment: "I feel like my training is only getting started. "

Pierce

Hello everyone. Great post with very inspiraing comments. I myself have just started the F1 and H1 program a couple of weeks ago. At 40 I would say for the post originator to just start the program. It can only help.

 

I was doing weight training for several years then switched to just body weight training within the last year and now GST. I like the structure and progression design of GST. I would say that the program appears to start people off in a "learn to walk before run" process. Just put any and all previous training behind you and start with the fiirst exercises and mobilities and enjoy the journey.

 

I think at 40, or any age, that the strength and specifically the mobility this program will develop will be great for us who are a little older (only in age not mind).

Askan

All you 40+ ers just inspired me to order Handstand1 and Foundation1. I am 41 with super poor flexibility and I hope to improve that, build some strength, get better body control, and be able to perform something that reminds of gymnastic moves like handstand etc.

Now I am eager to get started but I dont know how I log on, could someone please advise me? Will I get some extra e-mail with log on instructions after some time?

Wolf with one Ear

At 43, I feel great with the Foundation and Handstand programs.  I have done some form of strength training since my teen years, but I  probably look more fit than I did in my 20s or 30s.  That isn't really my goal; its a byproduct.  I don't feel, at 43, what like I thought I would feel like at 43 when I was 23, if you get my meaning.  

 

Recovery might not come as quickly as it did in the 20s.  One might not get as strong as fast as they might have when they were twenty, either, but it really doesn't matter.  Most of us here really are only accountable to ourselves.  Reasonable progress can be expected, though.  

 

As to logging on, I think you go through the store icon up top.  Then, if I remember, you will get an email.  It will be pretty easy to get going.  

Canucklehead

Hey Everyone,

Giving an update; I ordered the Foundation Series and started it this week. I'm looking forward to going through the progressions and getting stronger and better.

Thanks again for your advice.

brntj

47 y/o and started bodyweight work and handstands about 4 years ago. Started on Foundations and the Handstand series here and enjoying the progress. I'd say that this is BETTER for people in their 40s and 50s. There are very few people my age doing this stuff, not because they are physically incapable, but they believe they are "too old" or something. I think the combined strength and flexibility gains one can get from this are super important for health and wellbeing as we move into our 70s.

Jon Douglas

I totally agree. It's simple to say but completely correct when Coach says "You are too old NOT to start."

vannybute

Though gymnastics training does get harder with age, the Foundation series is thoughtfully laid out to aid in fixing mobility and strength deficits. The beauty of bodyweight training is this: age should not and cannot stop you. Admittedly, you may never achieve some skills that younger people can, but you will be able to achieve far more than the average gym-goer. I would say F+H is definitely worth it.

 

Just my $0.02, good luck!