Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Strength and skill training ?!

Lyubomir

Iam little confused about mixing both type of training together. At the moment iam trying to develop the splits, handstand and straddle planche and at the same time do strength training. I can't workout all the skills in one day, because my time is limited and i don't know how to separate them in the week. Could you please give some advice which days and how often should i workout for strength and which for the skills ? 

Jason Dupree

The only skill work there is handstand. Splits is flexibility, and straddle planche is strength. Handstand is also strength/mobility work depending on your proficiency. You can do skill work nearly every day, before strength training. Stretching is best done right after strength training.

• Upvote 1

Alessandro Mainente

Often there is the confusion about skill and strength . strength is a skill, movement is a skill. every abilities you achieve is a skill.

you can distinguish 2 type of skill:

-technique skill

-pure strength skill

the exercises concerned with beginner hs development are more technique related than pure strength. 

to be complete you need to develop both type of abilities in parallel.

• Upvote 4

Alexander Egebak

It is important to emphasize that exercises are what you make them to be; they can be used both ways.

Handstands require both strength and flexibility which makes it both a strength exercise and a skill. In H1 handstands are being approached as primarily skill work which is the most reasonable approach by a broad consensus of people, but the program arguably also contain strength exercises depending on how you view them. That is because the technique part of the handstand takes more time to develop than the strength part.

An L-sit can be both a skill and a strength exercise. A skill because it you need to learn how to depress your shoulder blades, push your pelvis backwards and straighten your legs. A strength exercise because you must have strong shoulders, core and legs stabilization (and flexibility). In F1 L-sit is being approached as both; first you build core strength via specific PEs, you get shoulder strength from HBH and sPL elements, and finally you drill the skill when you have the required strength until required skill mastery.

Some exercises are most beneficial to consider mostly one approach, that may be exercises like dips and deadlift which are basically "grab bar, stand up and lower again" and lower and push up again". Excessive skill training up to and after these elements are a waste of time since their purpose is mainly to build strength.

• Upvote 1