Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Static active flexability concerns

Raizen

Hello folks. I started training a 13 year old a month ago, and one of the skills he wants to train is holding leg lifts. However, in Tom Kurz's Stretching Scientifically, Mr. Kurz suggests that you not train holding leg lif until you can deadlift twice your bodyweight in order to avoid lower back injuries. However, I've seen a lot of gymnasts, taekwondo, and wushu youth practitioners who have developed this type of flexability considerably, with seemingly no negative effects on the back. I was wondering what everone else's opinions on the subject were, as I'm beginning to think that Kurz advice might be a tad extreme. Thanks.

-A-

I wouldn't really be worried about starting leg lifts that early, by leg lifts you do mean grab onto a bar, start from dead hang and bring your toes to the bar correct? I would more be worried about crosses and such, that is heavy joint work, and as long as you have them doing v-ups, superman's and hollow holds they should be alright and prepared.

Haha, no here when I say holding leg lifts, I'm refering to starting in a standing position, and then lifting your leg straight forward as high as you can get it, and then holding it there. Sorry, I should have specified. Yeah hanging leg raises I'm not so concerned about, here I'm undecided about the possible negative repercussions of having an teen who can't yet pull a double bodyweight deadlift, and so by Kurz's standards lacks the strength required to safely practice this kind of flexability training.

George Launchbury

He sounds a little over-cautious to me, especially since it's 'just' a standing leg lift. I appreciate that it's hard (and often unwise) to discount warnings from someone who is generally well respected out of hand, and you are right to ask. Kudos to you.

It's fine to take risks with your own health, but not with others'.

In my opinion, they will develop the strength, stability and flexibility to perform the movement safely while they're training it - as long as they don't under-recover, and they (and therefore, you) keep an eye on their form. I.e. no rounding under of the lower back, keep it neutral (no more flat or arched than when standing with a good posture).

This will initially limit the height to which they can lift their leg ...but only because they lack the flexibility/strength/stability to lift higher. Will you be training these standing heel/hips/back against a wall to prevent leaning backwards? Make sure the suporting leg is locked as well.

As kybrk said ...the loads are low compared to some moves that do require specific preparation work to train safely. Make sure they are honest with you about niggles, aches and pains. Being a little younger and probably impressionable, they might be tempted to tough it out.

Cheers,

George.