This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

focusing on a couple of elements?

Started by The Hansenator, May 9, 2015 · 9 Replies · 382 Views

The Hansenator

If I wanted to really focus on a couple of elements that have been frustrating me, like pushups and hinge rows, is there a plan for that? I wouldn't mind putting other things on the back burner for a while, I'm just struggling with increasing the reps for those exercises. 

Joshua Slocum

Do them before other elements. Possibly do them an extra day per week.

The Hansenator

Thanks for the replies.

 

I've definitely been using a modified schedule. The 'official' schedule increases too fast and I burn out trying to keep up. I've been trying to add a rep or two every couple of workouts but sometimes slide back and have to build up again. This is with the scheduled deload weeks.

 

I was thinking about giving three days/week a try instead of two but wasn't sure about volume. If you do an exercise more frequently, I assume you would need to do fewer sets per workout but wasn't sure what that meant in practical terms. 

~Atticus

I think Zach posted something recently on a HBP thread suggesting how you could do some supplementary work for HBP/PE2.

 

I don't have the link but it's easy to search for it.  I think his advice was solid.

 

I had stalled on one element and it helped me get to mastery quicker than I'd have thought.

The Hansenator
Cole Dano said:

Thanks!

 

I was looking for it but wasn't sure what to search for.

 

Quick question about the 50% on off days: Is that on every off day? And by "off-day" is that every day the exercise isn't normally scheduled or every day you don't have a workout?

brown.3794

A simple thing a lot of people forget about is good nutrition and rest. Especially if you haven't done anything as intensive as foundation before you might need some time to get used to the workload. I started upping my protein intake and making sure I get 8 hours of sleep and I've found exercises much easier. You are going to have to experiment to see what you need for your body to perform at its best.

Jon Douglas
brown.3794 said:

A simple thing a lot of people forget about is good nutrition and rest. Especially if you haven't done anything as intensive as foundation before you might need some time to get used to the workload. I started upping my protein intake and making sure I get 8 hours of sleep and I've found exercises much easier. You are going to have to experiment to see what you need for your body to perform at its best.

Seriously. Getting 9 hours of sleep a night is the best pre-workout ever.

Prasan Samtani
The Hansenator said:

Thanks for the replies.

 

I've definitely been using a modified schedule. The 'official' schedule increases too fast and I burn out trying to keep up. I've been trying to add a rep or two every couple of workouts but sometimes slide back and have to build up again. This is with the scheduled deload weeks.

 

I was thinking about giving three days/week a try instead of two but wasn't sure about volume. If you do an exercise more frequently, I assume you would need to do fewer sets per workout but wasn't sure what that meant in practical terms. 

 

This is a good point. I drag out the schedule a little, I have a newborn, so my sleep is suboptimal. What I find works well is doing the 4 day template. I can train every day, and enjoy doing so, so I draw out the 4 day template over 8 days.

 

I.E.

Day 1: FL & sPL

Day 2: HBP & RC

Day 3: SL & MN

Day 4: SLS

Day 5: Same as day 1

Day 6: Same as day 2

Day 7: Same as day 3

Day 8: Same as day 4

 

Day 9: Next week's cycle.

 

So essentially, no rest days, but each day is easier than prescribed. Prior to having the baby the 4 day template was manageable, but after the baby the tweak to drag it out more has allowed me to continue progress. If I have some extra time at the end of the workout I throw in some mobility drills from the next level of the progression.