This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Help on continuing after failing a week's progression

Started by geoguy, January 25, 2015 · 2 Replies · 195 Views

geoguy

First I would like to say how much I enjoy the program GB and especially the fact that everyone is so amiable on these forums.  What a great support group!

 

 

My question is on which path I take following a failed exercise.  I was reading up on this in the sticky FAQ, but still am a bit unsure, as I'm not sure if just repeating a week over and over again would give the body the rest it needs as when starting over at the beginning of the microcycle.

 

In my case I'm on week 8 of the GB program (Found. and Handstand), having start at PE1 for everything.  I passed all exercises for week 7, with the exception of the RC/PE1, in which case I was 1 and 2 reps short on sets 4 and 5, respectively.  I deloaded this week and would like to know if you would recommend I go back to week 5 next week (for that PE only), or do I just repeat week 7 until I get it?

Joshua Slocum

What I usually do is look at how many reps I successfully did, and create an "intermediate" progression based on that.

For example, suppose you mastered 4x12s on planche leans but failed 4x18s. What I would do is something like this:

WK 1: 4x12s
WK 2: failed 4x18s
WK 3: 5x12s
WK 4: 5x6s (deload)
WK 5: 4x15s
WK 6: 4x18s
WK 7: 5x18s
WK 8: 5x9s (deload)

geoguy

Great, thanks for the tip!  That makes sense to me.