Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Post workout nutrition in regards to connective tissue?

Jeffrey Fialko

Jeffrey Fialko

I've read a lot about workout nutrition, and to me, at least, it seems like most of it is geared towards muscle recovery and/or gain. I also know that GST can be very hard on the connective tissues. 

Does anyone have any info on foods and/or supplementation that will aid in tendon and ligament recovery? I know that a big factor will be how intense the workout sessions are (volume, frequency, all that...).

I'm fairly certain that things like vitamin C, turmeric (for inflammation), MSM, and glucosamine should help.

I've been adding a tablespoon of beef gelatin to my post workout shakes, but is there anything in particular that anyone here knows of?

thanks!

I personally eat a handful of dried pineapple PW. Pineapple contains Bromelain which supposedly helps with joint health. I eat the dried version instead of fresh because it is convenient.

It's hard to say if it helps with recovery and inflammation though, and somebody much more knowledgeable than me might even tell you that what I am doing is useless.

I never felt like glucosamine helped with joint health, but I have never tried the glucosamine MSM combo.

• Upvote 1

Bill Köhntopp

a physiotherapist i just met while training in the park also recommended ananas because of bromelain in it, i eat ananas from time to time, once i had some pain in my tendon right elbow i ate half ananas a day and it seemed to work, or maybe just luck, who knows :D

I've had good results with a supplement containing UC II cartilage and boswellia for my arthritic elbow. One of the few supplements I've used that makes a clear difference.

Alexander Castiglione

Aside from Pineapple - does anybody have any suggestions for whole foods with anti-inflammatory/regenerative compounds? I try and get all my nutrients from bioavailable sources. Thanks! 

Bill Köhntopp

Aside from Pineapple - does anybody have any suggestions for whole foods with anti-inflammatory/regenerative compounds? I try and get all my nutrients from bioavailable sources. Thanks! 

yes, next to ananas, there is papaya because it has papain in it

Jesse Frigo

Gelatin has a lot of potential, and it helps with bone growth too, though I find that too much of it needs to be balanced with some magnesium.

Daniel Burnham

Ginger, tumeric, black pepper and a shot of lime every morning. Nasty as hell, but does make a big difference.

I do this after going out on the town except I sub lime for apple cider vinegar and add some potato starch.

Jeffrey Fialko

I was doing the turmeric pepper blend for a while as I was healing some tendinitis, which is now 90% gone. I might start doing it again. Is the lime just for taste or does it play a more significant role?

Jeffrey Fialko

Ok good, haha. Because I don't have a lime in the house right now. I usually just chug that stuff. If I don't blend the gelatin into a shake, and take it straight in water, it also must be done like taking a shot. THAT stuff tastes gross.

• Upvote 1

Mark Schoenhard

I use local, raw honey to make a paste and refrigerate.  Add a teaspoon of paste with a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar to a cup of hot water.  Convenient and tastes great.

Alexander Castiglione

I use local, raw honey to make a paste and refrigerate.  Add a teaspoon of paste with a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar to a cup of hot water.  Convenient and tastes great.

Thanks! Do you use raw honey to make a paste with turmeric and ginger like others have mentioned? Or just honey, hot water, and apple cider vinegar? 

Mark Schoenhard

1 cup honey, 2 1/2 tbls turmeric, 2 tbls ginger, 1 1/2 tsp black pepper mixed together in a small jar.

Jeffrey Fialko

Fasting for 24-36 hours on a regular basis

I'm glad you mentioned this. I'd almost forgotten about it. I really want to try it out. Do you by chance have any links to some research?

• 3 weeks later...

As per Ayurveda - Turmeric is great for healing recovery and many other things.. There are a few things that are brilliant for tissue repair etc. Will post some time as their names are not on my tongue. 

Honey and Ghee (not to be mixed together) are great vehicles of medicine / nutrition. They take "stuff" to all tissues at deep levels. 

An interesting story on connective tissue by someone who apparently might have seen one of the top ayurvedic docs I see. This lady seems to have had connective tissue disease or damage. 

https://www.inspire.com/groups/connective-tissue-disorders/discussion/the-ayurvedic-doctor-1/

Ginger, tumeric, black pepper and a shot of lime every morning. Nasty as hell, but does make a big difference. 

Thanks! Do you use raw honey to make a paste with turmeric and ginger like others have mentioned? Or just honey, hot water, and apple cider vinegar? 

Important Information

Please review our Privacy Policy at Privacy Policy before using the forums.