Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Types Of Body Weights And Their Uses

jamesters

There are many different ways of adding weight to your body and they have their own pros and cons. I'll list what I've found to be best uses of different weight applications and hopefully others will have advice too.

Ankle weights: I find adding weights to the ankles to be best for hand stand work. If you're training planches or presses, ankle weights can be good for added difficulty.

Weighted vest: I like to use a weighted vest for jumping exercises. Unfortunately, my weighted vest wiggles around a lot during jumping exercises, does anyone know of a weighted vest that stays tight fitted even when jumping? Weighted vests can also be used for push up exercises.

Dipping belt: Dipping belts are great for pull ups. I have a weighted vest, weighted pants, and ankle weights, but the total weight of those is around 65 pounds when I can do pull ups closer to 100 pounds. I used to put weights in a back pack, but I found wearing a back pack puts the weight too far behind me making the pull up more unnatural. Dipping belts are a great way to get heavy weights and keep it more centered.

A note on rope climbing: A dipping belt will probably wiggle around too much for rope climbing. Ankle weights are fine to start with. However, when you get really strong, ankle weights (which are generally 10 pounds, and 20 at the heaviest I've seen) will be too easy. Using a combination of a weight vest or weight pants and ankle weights will work best for rope climbing.

Weighted belt? I read of weighted belts in another thread. Where can I get one and what are they good for?

I don't like ankle weights, in my opinion is better to add weight to your body weight center. Why? Because it destroys your position without weight....

Guest Ido Portal

I like sand bags, actualy. I have been playing with them a lot, using them behind my neck - wrapped in a horseshoe position. Depending on the exercise it can be very useful.

I like sand bags, actualy. I have been playing with them a lot, using them behind my neck - wrapped in a horseshoe position. Depending on the exercise it can be very useful.

That sounds interesting. I'm close to getting planche with legs together. I wonder if sandbags might help me. Like, if I put a 10 pound sandbag on my neck, went to straddle planche then tried to get my legs together, the sandbag might make the lever easier to manage.

What kind of exercises do you do with sandbags? (I've watched all your youtube videos by the way, they're awesome!)