Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Why is there no Boy's Gymnastic Team in High School?

Bob Sanders

I recently got transferred to a new school and I found out that they too like my previous school only had a girls gymnastic team. Why is there no boys gymnastic team? Its a sport geared towards girls only. I mean nowadays they even have boys who do cheerleading now. What's the deal with gymnastic not budging. I was hoping to do gymnastic for the next school year but I guess I have to go back to wrestling now. :x :(

Well if they got a qualified girl coach how come they can't get a qualified boys coach.

Gregor, what did you mean? lol We only have like a "Girls" gymnastic team. I dunno if boys can join but that would take an awful lot of guts to become that famous especially the new guy( just got transferred). But hey I don't mind the only guy there though. :wink:

Well if they got a qualified girl coach how come they can't get a qualified boys coach.

Gregor, what did you mean? lol We only have like a "Girls" gymnastic team. I dunno if boys can join but that would take an awful lot of guts to become that famous especially the new guy( just got transferred). But hey I don't mind the only guy there though. :wink:

Coaching mens gymnastics can be a bit more complicated as you need to know how to do more apparatus..

And like Gregor said it's pretty much less than popular. There's a reason why in the US college programs are dropping mens gymnastics... there's like <15 unis left while there's >80 womens gymnastics

Coach Sommer
And like Gregor said it's pretty much less than popular. There's a reason why in the US college programs are dropping mens gymnastics... there's like <15 unis left while there's >80 womens gymnastics

The death of Collegiate Mens Gymnastics can be laid solely at the door of Title IX. Prior to the implementation of Title IX in the 1970s there were 140+ Collegiate Mens Gymnastics Teams complete with full scholarships and university funding. This hardly qualifies as an unpopular sport. Today there are indeed less than 15. All due to Title IX.

Wrestling has been even more devastated collegiately than gymnastics. And swimming is now also starting to have programs cut.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Guest cccp21

The death of Collegiate Mens Gymnastics can be laid solely at the door of Title IX. Prior to the implementation of Title IX in the 1970s there were 140+ Collegiate Mens Gymnastics Teams complete with full scholarships and university funding. This hardly qualifies as an unpopular sport. Today there are indeed less than 15. All due to Title IX.

Wrestling has been even more devastated collegiately than gymnastics. And swimming is now also starting to have programs cut.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

*************** glad i played football.

Brandon Green

TitleIX is basically the equal opportunity budget funding clause in NCAA gymnastics.

Titan, are you in HS or college?

Coach Sommer
TitleIX is basically the equal opportunity budget funding clause in NCAA gymnastics.

Actually this is not entirely accurate. Title IX refers to a University's Athletic Department budget as a whole in regards to both men and women and is not sports specific.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Wrestling had cuts too? I mean wrestling is OK. It is a tough sport! mentally and physically. I like it but I no passion for it. Not as much as I have for gymnastic. I mean it might be a little late to start doing gymnastic and compete but I have the body type and determination and will to succeed. All I need now is "time" and a structure program and coach. Does anyone know why this Title took out gymnastic program for Men but not for Women?

I'm in High School Blairbob.

Thanks Coach Sommer for clarifying. I just wanted to state something quick, dirty and fast.

Men's gymnastic is not very popular here in the states so more than likely the sports budget at the HS is geared toward the ball sports with the non-ball sports getting very little.

Man I so want to do gymnastics now. The more I think about it the more I am serious about it! I guess I have no choice but to join the girls Gymnastic team. But I hope they let me practice. I am new at Gymnastics. But I have the body type, determination and commitment to do this. By bodytype I mean small. I am a samll guy. But currently about 150 right now but its from all the bulking I did. So I have got a lot to loose. My peak was when I was 125 at 5'4". I have so much passion for this sport. I went for wrestling last year cause there was too only a girl's Gymnastic team at my old school and I didn't know much so I did not ask or join. Now I am serious to go for it. I just hope this guy made everything right. He was not allowed to compete in the girls meet so his mom sued the school for Title IX.

http://board.uscho.com/showthread.php?t=45730

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/fr/1303619/posts

http://www.shortnews.com/start.cfm?id=58655

I am starting right now just doing the frog stand and working my way up along side with the front lever. I guess these are the basics but I also gotta work on all kinds of flips and handstands and I guess you need flexibility too and balance. I might start a new thread elsewhere to asks for tips to get ready but do you more experienced guys have some tips for me to get going in the right direction?

Go see my beginners thread that is sticked on what I think beginner's should work on. However this is skewed because it's what I think is important, especially for any gymnast of mine or person in an adult class.

Go see my beginners thread that is sticked on what I think beginner's should work on. However this is skewed because it's what I think is important, especially for any gymnast of mine or person in an adult class.

Thanks, I will take a look at it right away. I mean I rather do a gymnastics at school rather than a separate program because first of all its convenient and second I need to do a sport at school. Gymnastic is what I really really have a deep passion for and can relate to and actually enjoy the hard work. Other sports I play for fun but if I practice it I have no passion for it so therefore I just go through the motion. It happened before too. There are plenty of girls in the gymnastic team last year (08-09) at my new school while old school last year (08-09) only had 4 members! I know 2 of the members. I have joked about being on the gymnastic team at the beginning of the year, devastated that it was an girl team. Didn't know if I could join back then. I just told both of them recently about me doing this. Dunno how much they can help. They're good but I want to be better. Not better than them. But better then me. Better then who I was a day ago, a week ago, as month ago, etc. But I wish we had 4 members too. I am a nervous wreck right now. Literally! I am pulling the hairs off of my head! LOL :lol: I need to find how I am going to go up to the coaches and ask them about me being on their team. Man what am I gonna do? This is an great exciting opportunity and a disaster all at once! :o

Blairbob you teach gymnastics?

I coach gymnastics which means coaching little boys which actually means yelling at them a lot. Basically we warmup, do lots of HS work, hit a few events with tumbling and trampoline or vaulting in between the apparatus events and condition and stretch at the end. We also get a fair amount of soccer, wrestling, and dodgeball besides talking about cars and how much they think I'm infatuated with Megan Fox ( because I like Transformers ). We also throw balls or foam pit blocks at the girls whenever we can sneak it and see if we can send the bucket flying when we are doing bucket circles and they venture too close.

I've coached girls as well besides tumbling and adults.

Ask the coach if you can workout with them and if they ever go to competitions where guys can compete on the men's events. At least you can work floor and vault and probably some bar stuff though it may have to be on the unevens.

If I could have done it in HS, I'm pretty sure I would've digged it. Come on, do gymnastics in a group around gymnastics girls. That's even better than when I started tumbling in college with cheerleaders ( which lost it's appeal quickly besides the crappy spotters ).

And for the love of the Gods that smile upon me, do not wear a unitard (leotard) to workout. If you have men's equipment, get long pants that swish in the legs with no pockets and a tanktop and a pair of shorts besides that are neither too baggy nor look like track shorts.

I coach gymnastics which means coaching little boys which actually means yelling at them a lot. Basically we warmup, do lots of HS work, hit a few events with tumbling and trampoline or vaulting in between the apparatus events and condition and stretch at the end. We also get a fair amount of soccer, wrestling, and dodgeball besides talking about cars and how much they think I'm infatuated with Megan Fox ( because I like Transformers ). We also throw balls or foam pit blocks at the girls whenever we can sneak it and see if we can send the bucket flying when we are doing bucket circles and they venture too close.

I've coached girls as well besides tumbling and adults.

Ask the coach if you can workout with them and if they ever go to competitions where guys can compete on the men's events. At least you can work floor and vault and probably some bar stuff though it may have to be on the unevens.

If I could have done it in HS, I'm pretty sure I would've digged it. Come on, do gymnastics in a group around gymnastics girls. That's even better than when I started tumbling in college with cheerleaders ( which lost it's appeal quickly besides the crappy spotters ).

And for the love of the Gods that smile upon me, do not wear a unitard (leotard) to workout. If you have men's equipment, get long pants that swish in the legs with no pockets and a tanktop and a pair of shorts besides that are neither too baggy nor look like track shorts.

So you mean don't wear something like this to practice?

riversedge_2064_50280106

Blairbob I should have realized this earlier but better late than never. I could have start practicing this summer and would have gotten my base down. i would have trained all day if I had to; taking mini-brakes of course. I did not start early like at the age of 5-10. I am starting right now. But its not to late for me. It is for being at Olympian level but if I rally put my mind and body and spirit into it I will put100% 0 doubt I that i will not make it to that level. That's how much I want if I had decided that. But that's a discussion for another time. :wink:

where i train its me, 20 girls and some 10 y.o. guys so dont feel bad :P

WOW 20 girls? Is this at your school or a different program?

Coach Sommer

Titan,

No, a guy cannot compete on a girl's gymnastics team. The technical events are completely separate.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

where i train its me, 20 girls and some 10 y.o. guys so dont feel bad

WOW 20 girls? Is this at your school or a different program?

it's a different program.. the only one available for me atm so just gotta go there

Titan,

No, a guy cannot compete on a girl's gymnastics team. The technical events are completely separate.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

What! Oh my god this is just so .... ridiculous. Forgive my French, it's very good. :wink: But no seriously. What am I going to do now? I just want to do a sport to be on my application when I apply for college and I want gymnastics to be my main sport. Stupid Title IX. I don't even understand it Here it states that:

Title IX, is a United States law enacted on June 23, 1972 that states: "No person in the United States shall, on the basis of ***, be excluded from participation in, be denied the benefits of, or be subjected to discrimination under any education program...

So why am I be excluded out of a sport I really want to do? Why don't they just include men's event on the gymnastic team? It just does not make sense at all.

well im not american but im pretty sure i can answer that if the interest in the sport is lacking, then it would be economical suicide to have every single school fund that sport.

fx if you're the only one interested it would be insane to buy gear/space and hire a coach for just 1 person. no offence or anything is meant ofcourse :)

Life isn't always fair and doesn't make sense.

Honestly, you're lucky you're HS even has gymnastics anymore. It's pretty rare to find it in HS periods. Be happy and go watch some of the meets.

I'd ask the coach if you could work out with them and you could put gymnastics as your hobby. See if there is a local YMCA and maybe they compete men's. You could find a gymnastics private club but that would require bucks. Look for a college with a gymnastics club.

Richard Duelley

We actually had the opposite occur at our home meet last year. An all GUYS team came and they had one girl and she competed on all of the mens events. She actually did a decent high bar routine, rings were hilarious :roll: but we are a Club organization so just about anything goes. :mrgreen:

You have nothing to lose so you might as well ask. 8)