This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Movement Series question

Started by Awesssss, March 15, 2015 · 73 Replies · 18,332 Views

Bipocni

Okay so if you can complete a planche in your routine and a planche is ALSO a good way to build strength, isn't that simply more efficient than someone who's using planche to build strength but then also needs to learn to throw things and that eats into recovery?

Phrased badly, but what I'm saying is that gymnasts will build their conditioning by doing their sport. Other athletes don't get that luxury.

trw

I never tried to argue that other athletes should be training planche. I wouldn't know. And I see where you're going with this, but I don't think it's quite right. I think most athletes condition by doing their sport, because doing their sport requires conditioning beyond the parameters of competition alone. I'm guessing soccer/football players probably train running drills to improve their stamina during games. Running also happens to be a good way to build cardiovascular health, so other people use those means to a different end. And how do olympic lifters train for their sport? So don't all athletes get that luxury? That's the point of being an athlete.

 

And besides, planches don't help anyone do a bunch of crazy flips in the air, or full front splits. I was only ever remarking on the huge diversity of movements in the gymnastic toolkit.

Bipocni

I'm not saying that other athletes should start doing planche. What I'm saying is that other athletes have more of a need for a strength and conditioning program than gymnasts do. Moreover, when a gymnast performs strength and conditioning training they are literally practicing the skills required for their sport. A linebacker doing deadlifts and push presses isn't going to learn how to be a good linebacker at the same time.

trw

Really? Nowhere in a gymnastics competition do you see a gymnast climbing rope, yet it's an integral part of their conditioning. That's just one example. Actually, you hardly see any of the strength exercises in a competition, except in rings which is one of six apparatuses. Honestly, I don't follow the sport closely, but that's how it seems to me. Feel free to prove me wrong.

 

I can make the same statement with a gymnast in place of a linebacker. "A gymnast doing planches and rope climbs isn't going to learn how to be a good gymnast at the same time." Same applies to any sport. I think you're confusing the conditioning with the skill training in the sport of gymnastics. I can finish Coach's every series and I'd be strong as hell, but I'd still be a lousy gymnast.

Bipocni

They actually did compete the rope climb until the mid 1930's I believe.

Nick Roy

Yea, they took it out. I guess because it's just conditioning for them and they decided to only do bigger strength elements

itaman8

Haha, they should do a single arm rope climb competition.

Bipocni
itaman8 said:

Haha, they should do a single arm rope climb competition.

Very few people can single arm rope climb. I've only ever seen one man do it and he only got a couple meters out of it.

Jon Douglas

The times were also getting unbelievably low. I think Alex had Morandi's 6m rope climb time at a race speed at around 5s IIRC

xray

I wonder if those upside down rope climbs that were in some of the videos will make an appearance in the advanced movement courses...

Coach Sommer

Upsidedown rope climbs were too easy and not productive in the long run.

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

LateStarter@46

Am I allowed to laugh?! :-)

(at my own pathetic-ness and perhaps Coach's sense of humour, as such an exercise sounds incredibly difficult yet is being brushed off, like muscle ups, as not even a thing)

Romulo
-MR said:

Based on my experience at the seminar, space is unfortunately going to be an issue for those training in small apartments or crowded houses.

 

That is adding to what I was already worried. Living in a "rabbit cage" sized house here in Japan, I can´t even jump rope indoors (when it´s raining, snowing, typhoon season, etc.) because the ceiling is not high enough... it is also a problem to work out in the parks with so much weather instability. It is also difficult to find a park with some playground to improvise. In the city I live, they banned high bars from the parks to avoid accidents with the children (who are very much encouraged to practice hip circles/pullovers in low bars since elementary school), so it´s difficult to find even a place to hang my rings. If I hanged them indoors, probably the whole ceiling would come down, hehe.

 

As for my Movement guess, I think that probably elements that are common in a gymnastics class warm up may be added, like some simple jumps, basic rolls, ag walk, sitting walk, crawls, worms, etc. (l-sit walk might be in Movement 2 or 3  ;) )

Dylan Robertson
Coach Sommer said:

Upsidedown rope climbs were too easy and not productive in the long run.

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Are Upside down climbs easier than a Straddle L climb, and how are they not as productive as normal climbs?

greekdawg
Murray Truelove said:

Although I'm looking forward to Movement I can't imagine where it would go in my schedule.

I'm already training 4 evenings a week on top of my daily morning routine now that Stretch has been released.

So you're training Stretch series every day? or 4 times a week???

Murray Truelove
greekdawg said:

So you're training Stretch series every day? or 4 times a week???

I do:

Mon: F1a | Bouldering

Tue: REST DAY

Wed: F1b | S:MS

Thu: H1

Fri: F1a

Sat: F1b | S:FS

Sun: H1+S:TB

The "|" indicates a AM-PM split.

mic_skelly

Coach your comment reminded me of watching this from years ago:

ChrisUK
mic_skelly said:

Coach your comment reminded me of watching this from years ago:

I mean, chameleons just looks really fun. After foundation that could be cool to add just for that factor :)

LateStarter@46

Is that what's meant by upside down rope climbs? I thought they'd be with straight arms above the head (pointing towards the floor), straight legs either side of the rope, then arms bending one at a time to push the body up the rope.

xray
LateStarter@46 said:

Is that what's meant by upside down rope climbs? I thought they'd be with straight arms above the head (pointing towards the floor), straight legs either side of the rope, then arms bending one at a time to push the body up the rope.

I was talking about the chameleons but couldn't remember the name...  

 

Also this thread is on its way to turning into the last movement thread where each new post makes me think that movement might have been released!

Jon Douglas
LateStarter@46 said:

Is that what's meant by upside down rope climbs? I thought they'd be with straight arms above the head (pointing towards the floor), straight legs either side of the rope, then arms bending one at a time to push the body up the rope.

 

This was discussed a while ago actually. IIRC Coach said they were just too awkward and didn't allow the TUT of, say, triple rope climb laps in straddle L :)

Bipocni
LateStarter@46 said:

Is that what's meant by upside down rope climbs? I thought they'd be with straight arms above the head (pointing towards the floor), straight legs either side of the rope, then arms bending one at a time to push the body up the rope.

That... Can't be possible.

Although personally I always imagined an inverted rope climb to have the hands oriented the normal way at least, so you would essentially be hammer curling your way up the rope. Never seen it done, but that doesn't mean it's not possible.

Coach Sommer
LateStarter@46 said:

... I thought they'd be with arms above the head (pointing towards the floor), legs either side of the rope, then arms bending one at a time to push the body up the rope ...

 

Tried those years ago without success.  :(

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Jon Douglas
Coach Sommer said:

Tried those years ago without success.   :(

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Man, I'd love to see your 'didn't work' ideas pile. Bet there's some crazy stuff in there :)