This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Movement Series question

Started by Awesssss, March 15, 2015 · 73 Replies · 18,332 Views

Murray Truelove

I'm doing:

bouldering x 1

F x 4

S x 3

H x 2

With one rest day a week.

Awesssss

That's alot! Personally, I'm thinking of dropping everything and focus on mobility/flexibility, handstand and mastering hollow rocks, arch rocks and side rocks!

 

Bridge, Front splits, middle splits, Pike, Straddle, squat, Hollow rocks, Arch rocks, side rocks, H1-im - They all just have to be there.

Nick Roy
Murray Truelove said:

Although I'm looking forward to Movement I can't imagine where it would go in my schedule.

I'm already training 4 evenings a week on top of my daily morning routine now that Stretch has been released.

Probably 1-2 days a week, after foundation or as an active recovery day *shrugs*.

-MR
Prometheus said:

Yeah, I have been thinking the same thing. I already am doing things 6 days a week. F series 3x/week, a stretch series 1x/week, H1 1x/week, and then rock climbing and yoga in the same day 1x/week. Soon, I may have time constraints forcing me to forgo the rock climbing too :/ .

 

Although, I said the same thing about stretch series. I got rid of a H1 session, and I think it was better, since I am getting better rest now.

If I were you, I would keep the rock climbing - it's a sport, it's social, and it's awesome. Although I think yoga is cool too, you're probably getting a lot of overlap by doing the stretch series and the iMs from F and H1. I'd therefore probably drop the yoga over the rock climbing, but I may be a little biased :) 

-MR
EdStand said:

+1 for that. I imagine that if it would finally come out I would be able to put something else aside and make time for it. Another big worry for me is space: I currently train at home and I don't have that much room to easly move my long legs and arms :)

Based on my experience at the seminar, space is unfortunately going to be an issue for those training in small apartments or crowded houses.

LateStarter@46

Why not outdoors?

-MR

I'd like to see you try that in northern Canada in February :)

LateStarter@46

Come on ;-p there are YouTube videos of Ukrainians training body weight exercises in the snow :-)

Bipocni
LateStarter@46 said:

Come on ;-p there are YouTube videos of Ukrainians training body weight exercises in the snow :-)

I've trained in the snow before. Trust me, you feel like a badass.

Edoardo Cagnola
-MR said:

Based on my experience at the seminar, space is unfortunately going to be an issue for those training in small apartments or crowded houses.

Hopefully I'll find a better place to train before M1 comes out in 2032 :)
Nick Roy
EdStand said:

Hopefully I'll find a better place to train before M1 comes out in 2032 :)

Lol, I feel you on that one. But Movement will more than likely be out come late spring/summer time. Based on what's been said by the powers at be. They said, "Movement one and stretch one will be coming out very soon". The very next week, stretch series came out. So it's very likely movement is just around the corner. Maybe they're waiting for the right season so everyone can use it in decent weather instead of the crappie cold we keep getting. That part is just speculation. But i know for sure it's almost here

Prometheus
-MR said:

If I were you, I would keep the rock climbing - it's a sport, it's social, and it's awesome. Although I think yoga is cool too, you're probably getting a lot of overlap by doing the stretch series and the iMs from F and H1. I'd therefore probably drop the yoga over the rock climbing, but I may be a little biased :)

Rock climbing is great. I don't want to drop it. But, it is the most time consuming of all my exercise. My wife teaches the yoga classes, so I wont ever drop it. And, if she isn't teaching, I use it as an opportunity for us to do something together if we are not going on a date that weekend (or even if we are). Plus, I feel that I get more physical benefit from yoga, as rock climbing is only hard for my hands/forarms. Everything else is no issue thus far. Yoga has many more challenges to overcome. We will see. Mostly though, just the time constraint.

Alexander Egebak
Nick Roy said:

Lol, I feel you on that one. But Movement will more than likely be out come late spring/summer time. Based on what's been said by the powers at be. They said, "Movement one and stretch one will be coming out very soon". The very next week, stretch series came out. So it's very likely movement is just around the corner. Maybe they're waiting for the right season so everyone can use it in decent weather instead of the crappie cold we keep getting. That part is just speculation. But i know for sure it's almost here

I think the stretch hype needs to wear off first. Probably some long support evenings I can probably guess.

Bipocni
Prometheus said:

Rock climbing is only hard for my hands/forarms.

Climb harder.

Once you get that hand strength up, rock climbing becomes a whole different game.

ausswe

Its probably a good thing it is mostly in the hands and forearms considering how intensive foundation is. Also if you're not bouldering then you definitely should be at least some times. Climbing trains coordination both static and dynamic it trains balance it trains your brain by problem solving it trains your legs and upper body If you're doing it right it trains you to use body tension and individual muscular movement ( being able to keep your body perfectly still and tense while moving only one part of your body individually)

most importantly gives you a solid grip strength and connective tissue strength strength in your hands and forearms which are often over looked but just as important.

Disclaimer: I rock climb and am completely biased. :P

Prometheus
Bipocni said:

Climb harder.

Once you get that hand strength up, rock climbing becomes a whole different game.

I can see that. I think my biggest reason for picking yoga over it though, is the hip and leg work yoga can give. I will definately continue climbing as much as I can!!

 

Also, I predominately boulder. I love the dynamic parts of it. Wish I discovered rock climbing years ago.

Bipocni
Prometheus said:

I can see that. I think my biggest reason for picking yoga over it though, is the hip and leg work yoga can give.

Yoga is fantastic for learning to mobilise the hips, but just answer me this: you ever tried to put your foot on an overhung ledge that's nearly at shoulder height? One of those tiny little ones that you can't even get your whole foot on. And then once you got it there, did you heel hook up and then try to single leg squat to full extension?

Climbing requires a pretty extreme amount of leg mobility and strength. It all depends on how you do it.

xray

I was wondering, with the expansion and changes to movement, are there still going to be 3 sequential courses with the pre/corequisites that were originally detailed?

Dylan Robertson

Rock Climbing is basically a full-body exercise. It works your grip the most, put since you are pulling it also works the muscle of your back and your biceps. It works your legs as you should be pressing with your legs and not pulling with your arms too much. And if you do a route that has compression movements you get your chest. As always it will also work your core as you stabilize in different positions. Plus, Rock Climbing is fun.

Disclaimer: I Rock Climb as well.

bamartens
xray said:

I was wondering, with the expansion and changes to movement, are there still going to be 3 sequential courses with the pre/corequisites that were originally detailed?

I had thought the announcement that opened up with the F/H/S pages a while back when the website design changed mentioned that the Movement courses, plural, would be released soon, so I would think so.

DonGray

I don't see any movement in the release of the movement course...perhaps we should form a movement to get some movement on the release of the movement course - see what I did there? :facepalm:

 

As if I don't have enough of my plate already with F2, S-series, H1&2 ;)......and then there's that thing called 'life' that always gets in the way of stuff.

 

***note to self - stop being so impatient!

itaman8
DonGray said:

I don't see any movement in the release of the movement course...perhaps we should form a movement to get some movement on the release of the movement course - see what I did there? :facepalm:

 

As if I don't have enough of my plate already with F2, S-series, H1&2 ;)......and then there's that thing called 'life' that always gets in the way of stuff.

 

***note to self - stop being so impatient!

Don't worry, I sure that movement will be realesed very soon.
trw

I'm definitely excited to see what the movement series looks like. I'm also curious to see what the time commitment is. With Foundation, Handstand, and now Stretching, (not even counting RIngs since I'm not at that level) I wonder how much training time will be required once Movement is added to the mix. Not that I'm complaining. It's funny to learn over time that the big secret to the gymnast's incredible athleticism is no secret at all. There never was a secret. Just time, effort, and a seriously comprehensive array of exercises. I love it.

Bipocni

It helps that they basically compete in the sport of developing athleticism. Athletes from other sports need to expend so much effort simply learning the requirements of their sports that they often don't have the ability to get focused training in developing their foundation.

trw

Hm, I dunno, Bip. It seems unfair to say that other athletes need to spend more time "learning the requirements of their sports" than gymnasts. We're talking about six apparatuses in men's gymnastics. No amount of GST is going to make me proficient in any one of those. I'd still have to practice for hundreds or thousands of hours to learn the skills involved.

 

Maybe what you mean is that gymnastics requires a broader range of athleticism in order to compete. But that just means that gymnasts have even more "requirements" to learn than other athletes. After all, Coach's programming was developed as a means to an end, which is developing excellent gymnasts who win competitions. It just so happens that the means are extraordinarily comprehensive by necessity, which is why we like to use them to our own ends.