Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Gymnastic vs calisthenics

battman

The two workout categories seem like each other, but what is the different ?

And it seems like Their are more ripped dudes doing calisthenics, is it easier to build muscles with that, than gymnastics ? If yes why?

Jason Dupree

They Should be the same thing technically. But from what I've seen, the big differences are that calisthenics usually focuses only on strength and doing cool s***. Gymnastics focuses on strength, connective tissue, and mobility. You can gain muscle much faster when you don't worry about connective tissue and mobility. At least until you hurt yourself.

Alexander Egebak

The difference is the training method. Some general notable differences:

- Calisthenics focuses more on high rep work than GST

- GST focuses more on static positions and straight arm work than calisthenics

- Form strictness and requirements are different, where GST usually lays out a higher requirements by demanding the most difficult form to be held.

- Calisthenics is minimalistic in terms of equipment, GST uses a much wider range of equipment

- End skill work difficulty in calisthenics is much lower than GST.

- GST can involve resistance based training, where calisthenics is much purer in nature.

Bear in mind that these are just generalizations. Variances occurs frequently. What is stated above are my subjective observations.

As stated above calisthenics is more high-rep work which promotes hypertrophy along with low body fat. But if you look at gymnasts who are still active they are pretty ripped too, as a result of extreme strength and hypertrophy stimulation in rings positions.

You also have to look at individual body composition. The calisthenics guys on youtube do not get any viewers if they are not strong or good looking, whereas gymnasts are measured more in terms of their performance in their sport.

• Upvote 5

You guys are all wrong. Calisthenics is an umbrella term for body weight exercises which GST is almost completely made up of. GST is only the strength and mobility conditioning aspect of gymnastics which is a sport so someone only doing GST is not doing gymnastics and can't be called a gymnast.

• Upvote 8

Alexander Egebak

I am talking about how GST and calisthenics are being practiced, not what the words traditionally means. Because the communities make up the disciplines, we see many substantial differences between GST and calisthenics in terms of how strength training is approached

• Upvote 3

You are supposed to use the words with their appropriate meanings. If you are doing GST then you are doing calisthenics too because of the nature of the exercises. GST is more specific while calisthenics is a general term so you can't really make those comparisons.

I think you are incorrectly trying to refer to the pseudo-sport "street workout" as calisthenics and even then street workout incorporates GST elements too.

Alexander Egebak

The meanings of the terms are also decided by how the majority of people use them. But I do get your point and I should at least have made it clear what my owns definitions are.

• Upvote 1

Stuart Hughes

Calisthenics has taken on a particular association with street workout groups like Barstarzz. Gymnastics is a multi-event sport.

Both of these are specific demonstrations of the mastery of moving one's body through space.

What you need to ask yourself is: which system of training is going to give me the broadest mastery of moving my body through space?

I don't know anything about your motivations, but I'd suggest to you that the best way to look like an athlete is to train for the performance of an athlete. You're in the right place.

I think shughes' point was that you're being vague on what you want. Everything will get you bigger and stronger.
How big? How strong? How are you measuring strength?
If your sole goal is size and strength eat more and take up power lifting. I guarantee you you'll be bigger and stronger.
I'll just be over here doing handstands and front levers.

Alexander Egebak

Instead of looking at theoretical forms of practice you should analyze the individual programs out there and from thereon choose the one(s) that suit your needs.

From the discussion we are having you can see that GST and calisthenics are more or less the same in their original meaning, but differs because of the individuals who practice it and emphasize certain training forms.

One is free to do whatever version that suits ones needs. How other people label your individual practice is secondary, how efficient your training program is in terms of reaching your goal should be your primary focus

Ohh then i apologize to shughes.

Well i dont like weightlifting, i like using my body, but it were more of a question, because in my gym im the only one, doing gymnastic and then there are a couple of dudes doing calisthenics, and they seem pretty ripped with good mass. So i were just wondering if the two were alook alike.

Connor Davies

in my gym im the only one doing gymnastic

Were you not listening to Brian earlier? You're not doing gymnastics unless you're doing some form of tumbling. All you're doing is Gymnastic Strength Training™, which is really just a form of advanced calisthenics.

• Upvote 3

Joshua Slocum

If you train hard and eat well you'll gain mass and definition. Doesn't matter much whether you're doing Gymnastic Strength Training™ or street workout (or powerlifting or Olympic lifting etc). You might get a different aesthetic, and you might gain a bit slower or faster based on your chosen methodology, but by far the most important factors are still hard work and nutrition.

• Upvote 2

This blurring of terms seems to be very common. Same thing happens in yoga, Pilates etc. well just about everywhere actually.

Callisthenics

Definition

- from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
  • n. Gymnastic exercises designed to develop muscular tone and promote physical well-being: Sit-ups, trunk twists, and other calisthenics are demonstrated on the videotape. 
  • n. The practice or art of such exercises: Calisthenics is recommended to relax the muscles before a run.

Etymology

From Greek kalli-, beautiful (from kallos, beauty) + sthenos, strength; see segh- in Indo-European roots.

(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)

That's the general definition and it does cover a lot of territory; but of course in the real world that term is getting used in many different contexts, the only way to be clear on your meaning is to add the school or method you are referring to. e.g. "I tried BarStars style callisthenics".

Also note the definition includes the term Gymnastics which itself is more general then just MAG and WAG competitive gymnastics. 

Gymnastics

• n. Physical exercises designed to develop and display strength, balance, and agility, especially those performed on or with specialized apparatus.

(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)

It's exactly the same in yoga, you can't really say I'm doing yoga anymore as there are so many schools that it can mean anything, You have to add some sort of qualifier, e.g. "I'm doing Iyengar yoga"

Say it like this then we can keep everyone happy and have a frame of reference to discuss from.

• Upvote 2

Stuart Hughes

You've bought the program now. Just train. Use all your excess mental energy on something more productive.

• Upvote 3

• 2 months later...

In terms of strength...

Mastery of calisthenics caps when you learn FL, BL and some kipping MU

Mastery of gymnastics caps at Victorian and Maltese on rings,    nuff said....

Daniel Burnham

In terms of strength...

Mastery of calisthenics caps when you learn FL, BL and some kipping MU

Mastery of gymnastics caps at Victorian and Maltese on rings, nuff said....

Not really. There a street workout dudes doing more advanced stuff than that.

Jonathan Pettit

Well...we all know to who I am referring to....! To the divas of street workout! https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BAQbfVbCIAIEa-k.jpg

I respect the hell out of the Barstarz.  People might mock them for technique or attitude or for whatever reason, but to have physiques like they do, not to mention how they motivate regular people to look into this style of training, they are doing something right.  Heck, I got into Foundation because I was inspired by such a video (not the Starz themselves but someone similar).

I don't train for aesthetics, but it's a nice carry-over effect.  If I end up anywhere near those guys I'll be ecstatic.  

• Upvote 1

Mouclier Victor

I noticed that the Russian/Ukrainian street workout  is much closer to gymnastics while the US street workout is more closer to the fitness mentality.

What do you think about that ?

Edited by Bosco
  • Upvote 3

I noticed that the Russian/Ukrainian street workout  is much closer to gymnastics while the US street workout is more closer to the fitness mentality.

What do you think about that ?

You are 100% right! Just look at N1k on youtube, motherfacker doing Malteses on floor and full FL Rows, by full I mean full ROM, straight arms to bar touching the ab area.

Mouclier Victor

Yes it's right, but i'm wondering why, maybe it's just a cultural matter, Russians love strenght & Power while the consumption society made a lot of americans thinking about image & look.

of course i don't want to make too much shitty generalities :ph34r: 

• Upvote 1