Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Can you lose weight in the lower body ?

Deins Drengers

Deins Drengers

Having big legs and glutes sure hurts while doing GST.

I know there is no such thing as spot reduction.

But maybe u can suggest something.

• Upvote 1

Deins Drengers

If you do a lot of squats, then stop it. Other wise you need lose weight in general.

Only the BW squat stuff.  But i have excess bodyfat in the lower body ( glutes, legs )

Then the obvious answer is that you simply need to start by losing weight in general. Not the most fun answer (because pizza is awesome) but a necessary one. 

• Upvote 3

Andrew Long

I like the jus do all your walking on your hands idea... Just wear gloves though, some floors are pretty dirty out there

• Upvote 1

Ronnicky Roy

Focus on changing your eating along with focusing on foundation. Or, have cardio training days to burn extra fat and it'll drop over time. It's a calories in vs calories out game. Simple as that. if you have a bike, make an effort to ride for an hour a few days a week or just substitute driving with biking or walking more often. Steady life changes that you can maintain will be your best friend. Picking something that doesn't increase your appetite is also something to keep in mind

• Upvote 1

Ronnicky Roy

Waking up earlier to walk for an hour first thing in the morning does wonders as well. Just throw on some pants, drink a glass of water and go

• Upvote 1

Deins Drengers

Yeh, Im also scared to lose upper body bulk, but I guess its the price to pay to get leaner /less bf

Kasper Stangerup

Just do it slowly (months), then your weight loss will be predominantly fat. But of course you will lose a little upper body bulk; namely the part of your upper body that consists of excess fat. 

Edit:

Also, while it is true that many GST moves are easier with light legs, consider your motives for doing strength training in the first place. Extra bodyweight in the legs is like wearing ankle weights, in that it makes an excercise more difficult, but also more rewarding.

Deins Drengers

Just do it slowly (months), then your weight loss will be predominantly fat. But of course you will lose a little upper body bulk; namely the part of your upper body that consists of excess fat. 

Edit:

Also, while it is true that many GST moves are easier with light legs, consider your motives for doing strength training in the first place. Extra bodyweight in the legs is like wearing ankle weights, in that it makes an excercise more difficult, but also more rewarding.

I just wish that I could lose weight in the lower body only, heh. 

Kasper Stangerup

In that case, get a wheel chair. By never using your legs, they will atrophy while your arms do all the work of moving you around. Before you know it you will have legs like spaghetti, while maintaining your upper body bulk.

• Upvote 2

Deins Drengers

In that case, get a wheel chair. By never using your legs, they will atrophy while your arms do all the work of moving you around. Before you know it you will have legs like spaghetti, while maintaining your upper body bulk.

Theres an option, but I think I will stick with trying to lose overall bf. Just hope I dont turn into an average Joe physique lol

Ronnicky Roy

Body fat loss is body fat loss. Spot treatment is not how it works unless you have surgery