Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Are Hyperextended elbows dangerous ? ( Help pls )

Deins Drengers

Deins Drengers

I have them.

Are they dangerous ? How can I cure them ? Will my elbows die when I get old ?

I don't want to stop doing GST. 

But my Straight arm holds are automatically going into Hyperxtension ( Its not that big though ) I dont feel pain or discomfort and I have no problem with it. I didn't even notice it but some years ago a trainer said that If im going to train with hyperextended elbows then im going to be a cripple in the end.

Help :(

What kind of trainer was this? Hyperextended elbows are ok, as long as you don't 'rest' on the joint, but that's bad for anyone's elbow hyperextended or not. If you feel no pain or discomfort you are good.

Joshua Slocum

This is a common myth that stems from the fact that most people don't know how to properly train straight arm strength. If you follow proper progressions and give your connective tissue plenty of time to adapt, locking your elbows will not increase your chances of injury, even if your elbows hyperextend. 

• Upvote 2

Joshua Slocum

What kind of trainer was this? Hyperextended elbows are ok, as long as you don't 'rest' on the joint

Why not "rest" on the joint? How do you think an iron cross works? 

• Upvote 1

Joshua Slocum

I meant as in relaxing the muscles and relying on the bone structure itself for support.

Oh, I see. That makes sense. I'm not sure how much of an issue that is in practice, as the elbow flexors reflexively contract when there is pressure on the elbow joint. 

• Upvote 1

Yea, I was thinking that too, because I find it hard not to contract, but I've heard it said before, especially in conjunction with back lever, so I thought it was worth a mention.

Deins Drengers

What kind of trainer was this? Hyperextended elbows are ok, as long as you don't 'rest' on the joint, but that's bad for anyone's elbow hyperextended or not. If you feel no pain or discomfort you are good.

Im sorry I did not reply to this.

The trainer was a pilates instructor.