Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Van Gelder positive on coke

Razz

Coach Sommer

A very poor decision and one that reflects quite badly on both himself and the sport. He is ultimately going to be paying quite heavily for his indiscretion; he is losing his job in the military, he will not be allowed to compete for two years internationally and he will be banned from participating in the 2012 London Olympics.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Wow i didn't know about the being banned at olympics either, thats a tough one! Guess he might never get the chance then

I hope that he can get help for himself and that he doesn't get more into coke in his off-time. Coke destroys your mind and body. It's not good for anyone, let alone a super athlete.

the ban from the Olympic Games pretty much ends his career I think, because he has little to no chance for keep his level of strenght till 2016, you can say that's the end of Yuri, which is quite sad in my opinion, because like Razz, he's one of me fav athletes

shiftedShapes

I think it's ridiculous that he should be banned for using drugs recreationally, why is it their business what he does in his free time. Then there is the question of whether the drugs were used for performance enhancement as well...IMO most of these guys are probably on some kind of P.E. drugs, I think they should end the testing and let the use be open rather than rewarding the guys who hide it best / are the most favored.

Coach Sommer
I think it's ridiculous that he should be banned for using drugs recreationally, why is it their business what he does in his free time?

You are wrong. Completely wrong.

When you first make a national team, you are very quickly made aware that you are no longer simply a private citizen but are now a representative of your country internationally with all of the additional privileges AND responsibilities that accompany this position. One of the first mandatory meetings you will attend will be with the Internation Olympic Committee's (IOC) drug policy representatives for your respective country. In the case of the United States this is USADA. They will go over an EXTENSIVE list of what is allowed and disallowed; all the way down to cold and cough medicines. They will also go over the correct procedures for receiving documented supervised medical treatment for various injuries and rehab treatments. And in no uncertain terms they will spell out the penalities for engaging in illicit drug use. This presentation is very clear and there are no gray areas in regards to the illicit drugs.

These are the IOC rules for engaging on the field of play. To follow them or not follow them is the athlete's personal choice, but the penalties are severe if caught in violation. Van Gelder knew the potential sanctions if he were caught and decided to gamble that he would not be tested. He lost.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

shiftedShapes
I think it's ridiculous that he should be banned for using drugs recreationally, why is it their business what he does in his free time?

You are wrong. Completely wrong.

When you first make a national team, you are very quickly made aware that you are no longer simply a private citizen but are now a representative of your country internationally with all of the additional privileges AND responsibilities that accompany this position. One of the first mandatory meetings you will attend will be with the Internation Olympic Committee's (IOC) drug policy representatives for your respective country. In the case of the United States this is USADA. They will go over an EXTENSIVE list of what is allowed and disallowed; all the way down to cold and cough medicines. They will also go over the correct procedures for receiving documented supervised medical treatment for various injuries and rehab treatments. And in no uncertain terms they will spell out the penalities for engaging in illicit drug use. This presentation is very clear and there are no gray areas in regards to the illicit drugs.

These are the IOC rules for engaging on the field of play. To follow them or not follow them is the athlete's personal choice, but the penalties are severe if caught in violation. Van Gelder knew the potential sanctions if he were caught and decided to gamble that he would not be tested. He lost.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Yes I know that this IS the way things work (well I didn't know the exact details but I figured it was something along these lines), but I think it OUGHT to be different!

Come on Van Gelder you were my favorite gymnast! Now who am I gonna cheer for in the 2012 Olympics and the world championships? I'm gonna have to go for Oleksandr Vorobiov, since Jordan Jotvchev retired. :(

Yes I know that this IS the way things work (well I didn't know the exact details but I figured it was something along these lines), but I think it OUGHT to be different!

Van Gelder is a world-class athlete and as such is a public figure. When he is caught doing coke it sets a very bad example for young and impressionable people who may start thinking that coke is ok if "even people like Van Gelder do it". Coke is not even remotely ok, it is addictive and destructive. Being a public figure means that it's not "just his private business". It is everybody's business.

Don't mean to sound preachy, but that's just the way it is, and that's the way it should be, in this case.

Problem is, cocaine is a performance enhancer. The argument can be made that he trains harder and longer than his competitors due to being hyped up, and it gives him an edge. Marijuana, however, I believe is a complete disadvantage. To anyone thinking of using cocaine, try not to. I knew two people who died from it, one guy about 26 and the other 38. On top of that, the list of movie stars done in by it are outrageous as well. I wouldn't trust it; you are seriously gambling with your life.

Aviv Lugtenaar

Hey, I read all the news about Yuri and it is dissapointing. But I also read that Defence and the dutch gymnastics organisation and some other organisation want to help him, they are going to let him train in a different country if neccecary( as he may not train in Holland). But I didn´t read anywhere he is now for sure excluded from the 2012 olympics, that is sad. Coach could you give the details why he is also denied from that now? I thought all the sanctions would be over after the two year period tha the is not allowed to compete.