Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Any Ninja Warriors around?

Michael Miskelly

Michael Miskelly

I've seen on a few of Coach's posts on social media that some gymnastic bodies members have been on American ninja warrior. Are any of you active on the forum?

They are doing one in the UK now and I'm keen to find out what happens in the audition process.

All I can say is I wish I was.  They need to do something like this that doesn't involve TV and/or an audition process based solely on if you're good for TV so that everyone can try.  Alpha Warrior just quit updating their page well over a year ago.  The Ninja Lounge in Miami looks cool though (Just to name a few alternatives).  But please keep us updated on your process, I'm curious to see how it works out.  Ninja Warrior is one of my biggest motivators for doing GST.

I think the most popular answer you will get here is 'No, but I totally want to.'

I haven't seen Desi post here since the first King of the Forum thread.

• Upvote 4

Michael Miskelly

Nigel, I will keep you posted on what happens in the audition process at least and if I get any further. Hopefully it will help you prepare for what is ahead.

Nigel, I will keep you posted on what happens in the audition process at least and if I get any further. Hopefully it will help you prepare for what is ahead.

Good luck with it too :D

Nigel Leeming

Yeah, good luck, be good to know what the audition is. Hopefully a fun day in a gymnasium bouncing off stuff.

Alexander Svensson

THey're showing the swedish version on TV right now, if I had known about it beforehand I would probably have tried to be on it.

Bryan Wheelock

From what I've seen, if you want to be competitive in American Ninja Warrior you should begin rock climbing immediately.

GST will help, but most of the obstacles are grip related.

Michael Miskelly

Yeah rock climbing looks like a must but I've only entered for the fun of it so we'll see how it goes!

Nigel Leeming

Mic, did you do a video? I haven't seen anyone else's, so could you post your link if you have one. Here's mine:

• Upvote 5

Nigel Leeming

The problem with grip strength from rock climbing is that it takes years to develop. Can't get started too soon though. My weakness is my legs and jumping. Fortunately I started addressing this a few months ago, but I'm still in the hypertrophy stage and probably need more months at it than I'm going to get.

Michael Miskelly

Nigel my video was literally a 30 sec clip of me messing about on the rings one day I was trying to learn a backward roll to support, nothing compared to what you have put together. That back yard you have to train in looks great fun!

• 2 weeks later...
Michael Miskelly

Just an update for Nigel or anyone else applying I had an audition today for this. They had set up 3 physical tests consisting of

1) some shuttle runs and a mini obstacle course

2) a 2 minute dead hang on the pull up bar and then jumping from a trampet and grabbing a rope which you had to hold on to for 30sec

3) 15 2-0-2 tempo dead hang pull/chin ups and a wall vertical jump test

Lastly we had to do a chat on camera for a couple of minutes. You were asked a couple of questions basically about your strengths and then to show a skill or pose or something unique.

All in all it was done in about an hour.

• Upvote 2

Aric Lee from Virginia is a GB'er and has competed on American Ninja Warrior before. He said this past weekend that all that is needed outside of GST is some obstacle-specific parkour technique and some accessory grip training.

• Upvote 2

• 1 month later...
Michael Miskelly

Nigel, I just saw on the ukninjawarrior Instagram that you were picked for the show! Congrats.

I must have been too normal to get chosen, its a pity because I have wanted to do it ever since I watched the original Japanese series over 6 years ago.

I'll be watching out for you, give it your best!

All I can say is that I know a past competitor, who I know as Coach Thad, as he teaches "urban gymnastics" aka parkour at the local gymnastics facility.  He made it to Vegas last season.  My kids take his class.  Nice fellow.  I have also seen him at the local climbing gym.  I hope he is trying out for the next season.