This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

HS/PE1>iM form check

Started by Alessandro Di Sanzo, January 26, 2015 · 29 Replies · 864 Views

Alessandro Di Sanzo

Hi all! This is how I perform this exercise!

HS/PE1iM form check:

http://youtu.be/f7eI2Lw0KZE

I would like to clarify some stuffs:

1. How much should I pull my arms back in order to consider it mastered, compared to my back line?

2. Am I leaning forward enough?

3. Before I lift up my arms I'm trying to protract and elevate my shoulders, because I read that's the correct way to perform this exercise. Am I right?

4. What about my PPT?

Thank you!

Pafke

Privat video. :unsure:

Alessandro Di Sanzo
Paf said:

Privat video. :unsure:

Fixed! (I think) thank you! [emoji6]
Pafke

As far as i read read recently ribs should be tucked in, hips in natural position ( i think that you should activate ppt just a little to get to natural position but im not compleatly sure), and shoulders protracted and elevated. :)

You arched in lower back a little bit, probably becouse your ribs are not tucked. :)

Alessandro Di Sanzo
Paf said:

As far as i read read recently ribs should be tucked in, hips in natural position ( i think that you should activate ppt just a little to get to natural position but im not compleatly sure), and shoulders protracted and elevated. :)

You arched in lower back a little bit, probably becouse your ribs are not tucked. :)

As I thought! But I am not sure about what you mean for ribs tucked... Anyway you confirm about scapular protraction. Good to know! [emoji6]
Eric HARDOUIN

I would also like to hear knowledgeable opinions here.

You may have a bit a work to do with thoracic extension, as you seem to compensate around that. 

Can you flex your shoulders farther with ribs tucked in ? How is your PPT ?

Pafke
mauler said:

As I thought! But I am not sure about what you mean for ribs tucked...

 

 

 

You should pull them in as much as you can. :) Same as in handstand. :)

Keegan
mauler said:

As I thought! But I am not sure about what you mean for ribs tucked... Anyway you confirm about scapular protraction. Good to know! [emoji6]

Pull the ribs and the hips together by activating the Rectus Abdominus (like you were doing a strict abdominal crunch), this will pull the lumbar spine into flexion/hollow and result in the ribs being "pulled in". Do not take this to mean that you should round the upper back though, you want to extend that while you keep the Abs tight.

Hope this makes sense.

Alessandro Di Sanzo
Keegan said:

Pull the ribs and the hips together by activating the Rectus Abdominus (like you were doing a strict abdominal crunch), this will pull the lumbar spine into flexion/hollow and result in the ribs being "pulled in". Do not take this to mean that you should round the upper back though, you want to extend that while you keep the Abs tight.

Hope this makes sense.

I've been trying to improve my form. Here's a pic! I guess my lower back is set better than before... Am I right?

Thank you!

post-10847-142288098236_thumb.jpg

Keegan

Yeah, your lower back (and back as a whole) is definitely flatter now. Now you've just gotta build a little more shoulder Flexion ROM and you should be good. Keep up the good work.

Alessandro Di Sanzo
Keegan said:

Yeah, your lower back (and back as a whole) is definitely flatter now. Now you've just gotta build a little more shoulder Flexion ROM and you should be good. Keep up the good work.

Hi!

I just posted a video, just to see if my form is correct!

How do you find it? Do I have to build a bit more ROM?

Compared to the last pic, I lean a bit more forward! I wonder if it is better this way!

Thank you!

HS/PE1iM static shoulder flexion: http://youtu.be/iBPuLpP48hc

HB_Ron

Form looks very good to me, except for two things-

1.you should drop the weight with more control.

2.Your back looks slightly arched to me. if you weren't contracting the abs(down), then it might help get your back a bit more straight.

 

I'm not sure how much ROM is left to increase though..

Alessandro Di Sanzo
HB_Ron said:

Form looks very good to me, except for two things-

1.you should drop the weight with more control.

2.Your back looks slightly arched to me. if you weren't contracting the abs(down), then it might help get your back a bit more straight.

I'm not sure how much ROM is left to increase though..

You're right, I noticed the little arching on my lower back. I wonder if The stick I'm using in the video is a bit too light. It weights 2 Kg. Maybe I could add some weighted discs...
sashok
mauler said:

Hi all! This is how I perform this exercise!

HS/PE1iM form check:

http://youtu.be/f7eI2Lw0KZE

I would like to clarify some stuffs:

1. How much should I pull my arms back in order to consider it mastered, compared to my back line?

2. Am I leaning forward enough?

3. Before I lift up my arms I'm trying to protract and elevate my shoulders, because I read that's the correct way to perform this exercise. Am I right?

4. What about my PPT?

Thank you!

Try to take the stick more wider. I think you need to retract your shoulders.

Sorry for bad quality

Alessandro Di Sanzo
sashok said:

Try to take the stick more wider. I think you need to retract your shoulders.

Sorry for bad quality

I recently read that coach sommer suggested to work always at shoulder width apart. I need to find that topic... [emoji16]

In this topic I opened few weeks ago I asked about scapula position, and I discovered scapula are to be kept protracted and elevated.

https://www.gymnasticbodies.com/forum/topic/19114-hspe1im-question-abouta-scapula/

sashok
mauler said:

I recently read that coach sommer suggested to work always at shoulder width apart. I need to find that topic... [emoji16]

In this topic I opened few weeks ago I asked about scapula position, and I discovered scapula are to be kept protracted and elevated.

https://www.gymnasticbodies.com/forum/topic/19114-hspe1im-question-abouta-scapula/

Hmm... See video of the course. There gymnast holds stick more wider than shoulder width

Alessandro Di Sanzo

I've tried to fix again my form!

Now I think my lower back is not arched... it seems I need to work a bit more on this exercise!

What do you think? Is it still too early to move on or is it enough?

Thank you!

MattiasF

Back looks good, but if I'm not mistaken the arms should be pulled further back for mastery, hands should be directly over your shoulders (i.e. arms should be orthogonal to the floor).

Alessandro Di Sanzo
MattiasF said:

Back looks good, but if I'm not mistaken the arms should be pulled further back for mastery, hands should be directly over your shoulders (i.e. arms should be orthogonal to the floor).

I guess I need to build a bit more ROM. But do you mean arms exactly orthogonal to the floor? In this exercise it is required to lean forward, so do  I need to overpass my back line?? I thought I should reach with hands the back line , which is inclined due to the leaning. I thought that was the goal line to achieve... Am I wrong?

HB_Ron
mauler said:

I guess I need to build a bit more ROM. But do you mean arms exactly orthogonal to the floor? In this exercise it is required to lean forward, so do  I need to overpass my back line?? I thought I should reach with hands the back line , which is inclined due to the leaning. I thought that was the goal line to achieve... Am I wrong?

I think you usually lean too much by letting your butt come a little bit off of the floor and you should avoid that compared to the demo video..

MattiasF

Exactly is hard to say from the video, but at least nearly. From what I understand, you need to lean forward and then overpass your back line as you say (see attached picture).

My own key points for this exercise are forward lean, ribs pulled down, shoulder width, and hands above shoulders. But I'm by no means an expert.

Alessandro Di Sanzo
HB_Ron said:

I think you usually lean too much by letting your butt come a little bit off of the floor and you should avoid that compared to the demo video..

Interesting point! Thank you HB_Ron for the tip! [emoji2]
sashok

tried again with hands shoulder width