This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Troubles with hs/pe>im1

Started by Sebastian Eriksson, November 11, 2014 · 27 Replies · 1,277 Views

Sebastian Eriksson

I'm having some issues with the mobility portion. Been watching the instructional video to compare, but it just doesn't click. What should I do different or am I close to being on the right track?

Coach Sommer

Several points:

1) Narrow your grip quite a bit until it is at shoulder width.

2) Do not allow your shoulders to rotate. You should be focusing on pure shoulder flexion.

3) Lean forward with a flat back into the stretch and then pull the shoulders backward into your fullest degree of extension - while maintaining the flat back forward lean.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Alan Tseng

Coach,

I don't have your expertise, but shouldn't the scapula also be protracted/elevated here?

TANSTAAFL

You want some weight on the stick; 3-5lb is mandatory as it recruits the proper musculature. And any specific reason your not sitting cross legged?

 

Also ditto the comments above.

Sebastian Eriksson
TANSTAAFL said:

You want some weight on the stick; 3-5lb is mandatory as it recruits the proper musculature. And any specific reason your not sitting cross legged?

 

Also ditto the comments above.

I didnt use weights because I wanted to be sure I was doing them right with the right form, and I felt like my back was straighter sittning straight legged, but going to add some weight and sit cross legged for the next workout.

TANSTAAFL
Sebastian Eriksson said:

I didnt use weights because I wanted to be sure I was doing them right with the right form, and I felt like my back was straighter sittning straight legged, but going to add some weight and sit cross legged for the next workout.

Gotcha. The problem there is that your form will potentially change when putting the weight on anyway, as different muscles will be involved.

Sebastian Eriksson

I see your point there and will use weight from now on, starting out w maybe 1-2kg.

Thanks everyone!

athleticandrey

I'm a bit confused, before reading this thread I thought that everybody should begin with a grip that is significantly wider than shoulder width so as to allow the full range of motion for this stretch and then gradually narrow the width of the grip over time (that rule was mentioned in several other threads on H1 forum) . But here Coach Sommer stated that the op should narrow his grip until it's at shoulder width. So should everybody start at shoulder width if they're just beginning to work on this stretch? or perhaps  this point applies only to people who are sufficiently advanced in that stretch?

TANSTAAFL
athleticandrey said:

 But here Coach Sommer stated that the op should narrow his grip until it's at shoulder width. So should everybody start at shoulder width if they're just beginning to work on this stretch? or perhaps  this point applies only to people who are sufficiently advanced in that stretch?

I think Coach is just stating what is needed for mastery. The OP was asking how his form was, and Coach was saying what was needed to get to perfect form.

 

Couple other possibilities:

  1. Coach could know the athlete in question from a seminar/etc.
  2. Coach could see that he is ready to move his arms in closer just from watching the video.
Coach Sommer

Do not confuse this iM with weighted dislocate work; which begins wide and works in.  This particular iM should always be performed to as close to shoulder width as possible.

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

TANSTAAFL

Woah. Blowing my mind coach. So even with lack of full ROM you should keep it at shoulder width even to start? If so I have been misinforming the masses... :ph34r: .

Keegan

Coach, when you say "as close to shoulder width as possible" do you mean

A) as close to shoulder width as you can while achieving full ROM?

Or

B) at shoulder width with as close to full ROM as possible?

I've been doing the later, but if you mean the former I will change my approach.

Coach Sommer

I mean get those hands in!  Wider than shoulder width does not stress the traps appropriately for increasing flexion.

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Keegan

Ok, great then I've been doing them correctly. :-)

-MR
Coach Sommer said:

I mean get those hands in!  Wider than shoulder width does not stress the traps appropriately for increasing flexion.

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

 

TANSTAAFL said:

Woah. Blowing my mind coach. So even with lack of full ROM you should keep it at shoulder width even to start? If so I have been misinforming the masses... :ph34r: .

You're not the only one TANSTAAFL, this has been the general recommendation on the board since HS first came out. Makes you wonder about HS/PE2>iM now doesn't it? 

TANSTAAFL

So just to be clear coach, what PE does the 'weighted dislocate' progression begin in the sense of starting wide and working in?

 

And am I correct in changing my advice for this PE1 to starting at shoulder width even at partial ROM and increasing slowly as the shoulders loosen up?

Coach Sommer
TANSTAAFL said:

... So just to be clear coach, what PE does the 'weighted dislocate' progression begin in the sense of starting wide and working in? ...

 

The one's where you are doing a dislocate.   ;)

 

Just for the record since there seems to be some confusion; the dislocates are defined as the movement where the bar moves in an arc back and forth over the top of the head.

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

TANSTAAFL
Coach Sommer said:

The one's where you are doing a dislocate.   ;)

I was waiting for that one. Thanks for not leaving me wanting :).

 

So even HS/PE2<iM you would rather we start at close to shoulder width with limited ROM as opposed to starting wide and slowly moving in over micros?

Coach Sommer
TANSTAAFL said:

... So even HS/PE2<iM you would rather we start at close to shoulder width with limited ROM as opposed to starting wide and slowly moving in over micros? ...

 

HS/PE2<iM is a different animal and you will find that most people's pecs/biceps are so tight that they have no choice but to start wide and gradually work in.   If they were to try shoulder width, the bar would probably be closer to being in front of their body than behind.

 

It is the pure shoulder flexion work of HS/PE1<iM that must begin at shoulder width.

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

gohei_

Dare I ask if we should actively retract or protract the shoulders/scapula? What about elevation?

Sebastian Eriksson

Hello everyone again. Been spending more time on the IM, and here are two clips from todays workout. What is good? Bad? What should I be thinking about? Cues,tricks, advice? Thanks again for previous comments.

Micawberian

Sebastian,

You are still incorrectly rotating the shoulder. My suggestion would be to lift the bar up more slowly so that you can focus on lifting straight back with NO internal rotation.

 

Also, make sure that the weight plates are evenly balanced on the stick. First video shows the weight biased to your right.

Sebastian Eriksson
Micawberian said:

Sebastian,

You are still incorrectly rotating the shoulder. My suggestion would be to lift the bar up more slowly so that you can focus on lifting straight back with NO internal rotation.

 

Also, make sure that the weight plates are evenly balanced on the stick. First video shows the weight biased to your right.

Ok! Yeah it almost feels like im doing a half dislocate, but it kind of looks like in the template clip that he is rotating, but I will be concious about lifting slowly and not rotating.

Sebastian Eriksson

Heres a video from todays workout.

Pafke

While i do HS/PE1 iM should i pull as hard as i can ?