Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Change of heart (goals) due to Handstand Challenge

Panayiotis Karabetis

Panayiotis Karabetis

Hi GB folks!

In November 2014, I started the H1 and F1 courses and have been doing the progressions at my own pace. Before starting the programs, I had been searching for the right routines to achieve a correct handstand and muscle-up, but nothing more really. After first exploring other approaches like MoveNat, GMB and the Ido Portal Method, which are all awesome, I found that the progressions from GB best fit my goals. I have a background in martial arts and have explored hand balancing, so I find the progressions in F1 and H1 attainable and still challenging. As a result after three months, I've grown to love all the F1 movements and want to improve upon them, but I seem to be spreading myself too thin.

So, here's what's going on...

After participating in this month's GB Handstand Challenge, I've rekindled my desire to improve only my handstand (and muscle-up), but am not sure how to augment my routine to include the exercises from the Handstand Challenge while not falling behind on my F1 progress.

It would be great to hear some feedback from forum members who have experienced the same change of heart and how they dealt with it.

Thanks!

Pete

I think you would best served to stop thinking distracting thoughts and focus on the task at hand, namely F1/H1. Doing these will make you capable of doing muscle ups and handstand, plus so much more.

Why do you think you're stretching yourself thin?

We've probably all had this type of thought, but look, why would you follow your own programming, when you can follow Coach Sommer's?

Accepting that you suck at programming is the first step. Trust me, I've been there too.

• Upvote 2

Jeremy Huston

I stopped doing the HS challenge because it was causing my Foundation and H1 work to suffer.  It has some cool exercises, but it doesn't have the programming like H1 combined with F1.

Maybe once I get to the end of H1 and am looking for ways to keep handstands fresh and challenging, I'll throw in some of the HS challenge drills.

Joshua Slocum

Toss in a few handstand challenge elements as part of your warmup or cooldown. Keep H1 programming primary. 

• Upvote 2

Panayiotis Karabetis

Why do you think you're stretching yourself thin?

I think I'm stretching myself thin because of trying to incorporate Capoeira movements and passive/active holds on the bar and also some Somatics to keep limber. This is my current schedule:

I'm going to take everyone's advice and stick to F1 and H1 without diluting my focus right now. Thanks all for your suggestions!