Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

DIY home parallel bars

Edoardo Roberto Cagnola

Edoardo Roberto Cagnola

I was thinking about making a set of parallel bars to use at home for my foundation work. I found a video where a 200 lb guy was doing weighted dips on a pvc dip bar station that he made for his garage gym and they really seemed solid and stable. But my question is: will something like this work for stuff like Russian dips?

Here is an image of what I'm thinking of making

post-14515-0-14154600-1421359784_thumb.j

Joshua Slocum

Make it a little longer and it'll work for bulgarian dips.

If Russian dips tend to involve a little bit of momentum at the bottom (ideally this is minimized but you'll see there's a little bit even in the course videos), so you'd want something a bit heavier or sturdier for that. 

Korean dips would unfortunately be right out. 

• Upvote 1

Please provide a tutorial if you could. I'm sure a lot of people would love this. My son is wanting to train with the GB program and we don't have access to parallel bars for the home training, just Leberts that aren't high enough. Just curious, are these high enough?

Edoardo Roberto Cagnola

I'll post some links to useful videos about it later today. In regards the the height, you can modify all of the sizes of the pvc pipes to fit your needs: you can make it longer, higher etc. just consider that I would not make those too high because it could really affect the stability of the whole thing..

Edoardo Roberto Cagnola

Here is the link to the video I was referring to:

You asked me for a tutorial, so here is a link to a website that will list all the parts that you need.

http://www.tomharveytraining.com/2012/03/25/dyi-dip-station-design/

The problem is that it does not show how to do the station itself, so I found this other video that show how to do a really similar product: parallettes. You just need do add the parts to connect them, as shown in the previous links! Hope this is helpful enough, I'm sorry that I could not find a complete video tutorial for this exact setup

• Upvote 1

Hmm... all I have to do is stick them together? Or is PVC glue/primer recommended? Don't know how to work with that stuff.

Thanks SO much. Will be a great alternative to parallel bars. One question: aren't they the same thing as Leberts, or can you make them high and stable enough for all the exercises? are they better? I just have Leberts lying around, that's why I'm asking.

Joshua Slocum

If you go with metal pipe, you just screw everything together.

If you go with PVC, you'll need to use glue. 

Will it be big and tall enough for dips? What about HS, HSpushup, etc. (Just curious :) )

Will Leberts be fine? Apparently they aren't tall enough for proper dips... these bars don't look tall enough.

Thanks!