Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Coach - A suggestion to further increase the popularity of GB

Neil Gillies

Hi Coach,

One of the ways in which Ido Portal has developed such a large online following is through his use of motivational videos that show him and his sidekicks performing various bodyweight skills. He also regularly issues videos of what his students have achieved using "his" methods (allegedly). Some of his YouTube videos have hundreds of thousands of views.

Have you ever thought of putting together something similar for GB? I don't know how likely people are to get excited by artistic gymnastics videos, as YouTube is awash with those, but if GB were to produce some good quality videos (of course with the obligatory catchy soundtrack - perhaps skip the constant Bruce Lee-style philosophising and rhetoric a la Ido ;)) of your high level students "playing" with bodyweight skills and strength movements I think they could potentially garner a huge number of hits and a corresponding surge in interest in all that GB does. Similarly, I think people would be very interested to see the progress some of the Foundation students are making - GB used to produce "Everyday Heroes" videos which were good but I haven't seen any new ones in a long time.

Anyway, just a thought....

Cheers,

Neil

• Upvote 1

Murray Truelove

I really like this idea. Maybe take a video camera to the next seminar, pictures already go up on the FB page so why not cut together a cool video?

• Upvote 4

Jonathan Pettit

It was watching one such motivational video that gave me the push to seek out bodyweight training.  About three months later I found GB and sang Hallelujah.  Seeing actual GB athletes doing something in a nicely put together video would be the mother lode.  The more training montages, the more better.

Here's the link to the video that got me started, if anyone's interested:

• Upvote 1

Probably a good idea. Our fb video of Rebecca doing some free standing got over 100,000 views in 24 hours.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

John Koliopoulos

Probably a good idea. Our fb video of Rebecca doing some free standing got over 100,000 views in 24 hours.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Not probably, definitely ;) Most of your athletes can perform great strength feats, you just need a more professional video edit with proper motivational music and maybe some epic scenery. The possible exposure (see Barstarzz, Hannibal for King, etc.) would be great for gymnastics as a sport and gymnasticbodies as a buisness I am sure.

It has always surprised me why elite gymnasts don't show off their strength in youtube clips more...

A great example is: 

It has always surprised me why elite gymnasts don't show off their strength in youtube clips more..

The move at 3:30 had me going   :eek:

Vincent Stoyas

It has always surprised me why elite gymnasts don't show off their strength in youtube clips more...

Haha, maybe because they're busy being elite?

• Upvote 7

Jonathan Pettit

Hey, if I get even half the Foundation moves mastered, I'd be making weekly youtube videos.  Handstand into HBP into Manna.  And I'd finish every video by Arch Body Rocking off frame.

• Upvote 5

They've got people for that. Those people then file the vids on youtube with the tag 'Olympics'. You should check it out!  ;)

• Upvote 3

Rajan Shankara

cant you all see Coach has pulled out all his hair trying to help us out; I don't think he needs a bigger following.

• Upvote 1

one thing that make idos videos "special" is the claims (i wont comment on that) he makes in them. he appears to show regular people with no background in sports at all that achieve some high-level feats after 3-6months of training......

the more patient, sustainable approach used by coach sommer  wont be as spectacular for most people i guess.

Murray Truelove

one thing that make idos videos "special" is the claims (i wont comment on that) he makes in them. he appears to show regular people with no background in sports at all that achieve some high-level feats after 3-6months of training......

the more patient, sustainable approach used by coach sommer wont be as spectacular for most people i guess.

GB YouTube channel already has a lot of stuff, why not get some more on there from his seminar attendants.

Crossfit videos of WODs go up and are popular. A compilation of adults doing wall runs, rope climbs, HBP, straddle press, some dip variations, twisting squats, FL, SL, full bridge, etc, etc, I think would get a lot of positive attention.