Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Coconut Water during and after workout?

bombadil

Hi guys, I posted this on the perfect workout nutrition thread, but I don't know have active that thread is anymore.   I've been trying to implement as many of the pieces of the workout nutrition as I can...  And, I've found that coconut water could potentially be a very effective addition as it could simultaneously provide the hydration element and some of the carbohydrate one needs during and after a workout. 

Regarding the peri-workout shake, where one drinks 30% pre workout and then sips the remainder of the mix throughout the workout: 

how is coconut water?  For 2 liters of coconut water, I hit a perfect 80grams of carbs for my body weight.  If I add 10-20 grams of protein and some salt to the mix, would that be a good  choice?   Would I have to add additional water on top of all this liquid?  

I was thinking about trying this for GST and BJJ workouts and see what happens...

I haven't seen many people talk about coconut water.  I attempted to research how much fructose to glucose it has, but I couldn't find any reliable information.  It seems to be used by many to replenish glycogen, so I hope it's a good choice.  

Thanks! 

Joshua Slocum

Eh, sugar water is sugar water. It'll probably help but I wouldn't expect it to be any better than, say, gatorade. 

• Upvote 6

• 2 months later...
Matthew Jefferys

how is coconut water?  For 2 liters of coconut water, I hit a perfect 80grams of carbs for my body weight.  If I add 10-20 grams of protein and some salt to the mix, would that be a good  choice?   Would I have to add additional water on top of all this liquid?  

Salt and protein?? You don't need the protein if your diet is varied and balanced. Coconut water is FULL of electrolytes. Adding salt to coconut water is like basting red meat in protein powder; it's completely unnecessary (the word "overkill" comes to mind). Plain coconut water is an awesome thing to drink pre/mid/post workout, and it's my go-to drink :) Just don't drink more than 2 litres a day (I noticed a slight strength decrease whenever I did, but it could easily be unrelated).

Matthew Jefferys

Eh, sugar water is sugar water. It'll probably help but I wouldn't expect it to be any better than, say, gatorade. 

Coconut water is rich in calcium, magnesium and phosphorous (amongst others things), isotonic drinks are not. Moreover, many isotonic drinks contain extremely high concentrations of electrolytes (most often too much for anyone who isn't running a marathon).

John Kiggundu

Coconut water is almost the perfect fluid for an workout that results in a lot of sweat.

It has lots of potassium and other minerals that will, among other positive benefits, PREVENT CRAMPS from developing.

I'm pretty sure you can search sources in Portuguese (primarily Brazil) then use Google Translate, and you should find some info there. 

• 2 weeks later...

Coconut Water is the only liquid in nature..

.. that has the same constitution/ pH as human blood plasma

.. is completely sterile.. and hence can be and HAS been used for transfusion/ as saline in 2nd world war.. 

Its as good as it gets as natures perfect drink recipe. 

• Upvote 1

Important Information

Please review our Privacy Policy at Privacy Policy before using the forums.