This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

List of exercises that should be improved after mastery

Started by Joshua Slocum, December 28, 2014 · 27 Replies · 3,139 Views

Joshua Slocum

Unless otherwise specified, your work sets should generally be the same number of reps/ same hold time as the standard for mastery. You can do these as part of your warmup after mastering them, or you can have a dedicated time for developing these movements further. Do as many sets as you think will be productive - this might be just one, or as many as five.

 

Foundation 1

MN/PE2>iM: Jefferson curls

Slowly build up over time to performing these with 1x bodyweight. 

 

HBP/PE2>iM, HBP/PE3>iM: Xiapeng forwards and backwards

Build up to 25lbs/12kg. 

 

And finally, a post by Coach about finding the sweet spot for these exercises: "more must always pay dividends".

 

 

 

 

This topic is to list exercises for which it is beneficial to continue improving in weight/ROM/Reps even after reaching the course's standards for mastery. Let me know if I forgot any and I'll update the first post. Please include a citation in your post. If you can find a citation for an exercise that doesn't currently have one, please post that, too.

Murray Truelove

Would it be possible to get a set x rep recommendations as well?

Great work by the way.

Alan Tseng

Hmm I'm not sure If the info on H1 and H2 should be posted since this is only a F1 wiki after all

Murray Truelove

Wall runs and dislocates have their own public thread so it shouldn't be a problem. I think pike press does too though I'm not 100% sure.

thecolin

Great list, but didn't Coach say that Xiapeng himself only used 6kg?

Alan Tseng
Murray Truelove said:

Wall runs and dislocates have their own public thread so it shouldn't be a problem. I think pike press does too though I'm not 100% sure.

What I meant was more that the exercises notations and what exercises belonging to what are visible

Keilani Gutierrez

if a moderator did it, im sure its kosher.

Joshua Slocum
thecolin said:

Great list, but didn't Coach say that Xiapeng himself only used 6kg?

I *thought* Coach said Xiaopeng used 12kg. I might be wrong. If you find the original post, I can change it to show the right weight and link to Coach's comment. 

Alexander Egebak

I will definitely keep 1 set of ABR and HBR in my warm up once I have mastered them. But if I ever complete all the series they will probably be substituted later on.

Keilani Gutierrez

25lb minimum - 45lb is the gold standard

same as the first PE's and iM's dealing with shoulder flexion

Joshua Slocum

I generally do some other iM exercises and come back. I don't think minimizing rest times is as important here as it is when you're first mastering the exercise. 

BMJD

HBP SE8/im would fall in this category as well I think, not sure about how much weight to go for though

Joakim Anderson

Thanks for this post Joshua, a goldmine!

Krel
Joshua Slocum said:

HS/PE2>iM and HS/PE4>iM: shoulder extensions

Building up weight here can help with manna work later on. 

Where is the ceiling for HS/PE2>iM and HS/PE4>iM ? 20kg ?

Joshua Slocum
Krel said:

Where is the ceiling for HS/PE2>iM and HS/PE4>iM ? 20kg ?

I don't actually know.  I'd say just keep building until either you can't go any further or you get a manna :)

Keilani Gutierrez
Joshua Slocum said:

I don't actually know.  I'd say just keep building until either you can't go any further or you get a manna :)

wasn't there a thread somewhere that Coach mentioned something along the lines of 25(minimum) and put 35 / 45 as also a worthwhile goal? i remember reading him saying that some time ago. 

ausswe

That was for things like dislocates I thought

Keilani Gutierrez

if i can find the post, i'll link it so Josh can add it into the wiki

Bro'

I think you're right, Keilani. I think it was the same for dislocates, shoulder extension/flexion exercises, so and end goal of 45lbs/20kg, as you said (trying to find the link too).

It must be very convenient once you get there for all exercises, right now it's just a plate-moving nightmare.  :P

Travis Cornwell

How often do you perform these? Once or twice a week?

Keilani Gutierrez
Travis Cornwell said:

How often do you perform these? Once or twice a week?

right now, two times a week in my warm up for Handstands.

athleticandrey
Joshua Slocum said:

I don't actually know.  I'd say just keep building until either you can't go any further or you get a manna :)

Am I correct in assuming that if someone has a full manna then he could also do HS/PE2>iM with a weight equal to his own weight minus the weight of his arms? but the reverse is probably not true.

KSTL

While it may not be exactly in the same vein as these weighted exercises, does anybody know the recommendation for post-mastery work in the knee prehab exercises of the early SLS - iM's?

 

Should we just keep a single set of mastery reps in warm up or daily? Or is there benefit to increasing reps/sets?

Jon Douglas
KSTL said:

While it may not be exactly in the same vein as these weighted exercises, does anybody know the recommendation for post-mastery work in the knee prehab exercises of the early SLS - iM's?

 

Should we just keep a single set of mastery reps in warm up or daily? Or is there benefit to increasing reps/sets?

 

We have thoroughly discussed this in the F3 forum; yes, a single set in warmup is appropriate. If you have the energy for more, focus on fundamental leg strength in the first instance :)