This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Xiaopeng and Stiff-Leg Windmill weight

Started by Michael S., April 4, 2013 · 35 Replies · 2,352 Views

Michael S.

Hi community,

 

 

which weights are you using for the mentioned exercises? Right now, i started the new cycle with 3kg on the Stiff-Leg Windmill and 2kg on the Xiaopeng Fwd but i think that is a bit light for mastery. Up to which weight should you work up to consider these mobility elements mastered?

 

 

Ravn

In my case, I can use more weight on the windmill, since the load is distributed vertically through the arm like a column. I'm currently using a 16 kg kettlebell. For Xiaopengs I started out too heavy at 4.5 kg (yeah, weak, I know), but have gone down to 3.5 kg. My elbow got slightly irritated doing these, and since they are a mobility, not strength drill (right?), I had no problem removing weight. Elbows are fine now.

Keilani Gutierrez

I'm using 10 lb weights for all mobility related elements as of now.  for the upcoming Mn>iM I'll be using a 7ft olympic bar. (dont know how much it weighs, maybe 45lbs?)

ausswe

I don't have access to weights so unjust use a really big rock.... WHen that rock is to simple ill get a slightly bigger rock... So on and so forth. I'm afraid with this method though ill either run out of big enough rocks to fit my hand around or ill be lifting boulders....

dasede

I am using 1kg on the windmills. My arm starts to flail around if I use any more.

Michael S.

Thanks for the responses so far!

I have a similar problem with the Windmill, when i use more than 3kg i cannot stabilize the weight correctly on my left side. Thats why im sticking with it right now but i want to work up to 5kg each side. Xiaopeng fwd i could use more but than it would be come more a strength exercise and interferes to much with the pushups. I need to build up the intensity gradually, my target here is also 5kg.

Still wondering though if there is anything official, which weight should be used at least to consider the element mastered?

3D Guy

i generally use 10 lb dumbells

Joshua Naterman

I do both xiaopings with 15 lbs pretty easily these days, but I started with 10 lbs, moved to 12.5, and then 15.

 

I generally use 50-60 lbs for windmills. I'd use more, but my legs aren't used to stretching with much weight anymore.

rynski

I've had massive trouble keeping my hand above the supporting shoulder during the Stiff Leg Windmill even with just a 2.5kg dumbbell. This forced me to ditch any added weight completely & I just focused solely on achieving proper form. I'm now in my first deload week & feel so much more confident with my mobility for this exercise now.

 

I look forward to take-two of the dumbbell experience next week. This program is absolutely great.

Samui

I am using 12.5 kg for windmills(think I am going to move to 15 kg in the next microcycle), 7.5-10 kg for xiaopengs. I can do the xiaopengs with perfectly controlled form but the weight is probably too much because it really drains my shoulder strength for the last sets of PPP.

MvdB

I use 6 kg for the windmills (can do more, I'm pretty sure that 8-10 kg will be okay, will have to experiment with that) and 4 kg for the Xiaopengs, which is just enough to make it difficult but not impossible to do the final reps in the final sets.

Richard Hamilton

I've not done any Xiaopengs yet but I'm using a 12kg kettlebell for Stiff Legged Windmills. I could also use more but every other week I seem to notice new sensations and stretches so I'll stick with 12kg for the foreseeable future. I love this mobility element! :)

Jon Douglas

My regular training with windmills when I was heavily into kettlebells was a 36kg in each hand. I'm using only 16kg now, and have the back of my palm well behind my feet :)

 

 

 

Edit;

So as not to mislead anyone who might be trawling for information on their own work, 3-5kg is plenty on Xiaopengs for me. I just don't want to bump Coach's last post off the topic page ^_^

Markus Klein

I use 4 kg for the Windmills and 3 kg for the Xiaopengs. I will try the Windmills with 3 kg for improving my form.

Ravn
Markus Klein said:

I use 4 kg for the Windmills and 3 kg for the Xiaopengs. I will try the Windmills with 3 kg for improving my form.

In some cases, adding a bit of weight (but absolutely not a ton of weight) can actually improve form. In the windmills, it's relatively easy to do the movement with the load bearing hand not being perfectly aligned above the shoulder, if the weight is light. Using a heavier weight can force you to perfect the alignment. As always, don't go nuts with it.

Michael S.

Thanks for the responses guys! :)

Its going to be a looooong time until im able to use some of the weights you guys are using....

Coach Sommer

Sorry guys, you are focusing on the wrong part of the movement.  When performed correctly even Xiaopeng only used approx 10-12kg for Xiaopengs.  At your levels of development if you are using even close to that amount of weight, I would say with a fair degree of certainty that you are performing this iM incorrectly.  

 

On forward Xiaopengs the most common error is failing to rotate the arm completely at the top of the movement prior to the descent so that you are as close to HS as possible with the palm of the hand pointing toward the floor.

 

On backward Xiaopengs the most common error is allowing the hand to roll sideways prematurely.  This makes the iM much easier and also much less productive.

 

Hopefully you can see from my previous comments that the most important section of the FWD Xiaopengs is how close to HS you can be after the roll and on BWD Xiaopengs how close to HS you can be prior to the roll.

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Mats Trane
Coach Sommer said:

 When performed correctly even Xiaopeng only used approx 10-12kg for Xiaopengs.

10-12kg!!

I use 3kg :)

~Atticus
Mats Trane said:

10-12kg!!

I use 3kg :)

 

I just "graduated" to 10lb (4.5kg).  I'm going to remain at this weight for a while....

Wolf with one Ear
ausswe said:

I don't have access to weights so unjust use a really big rock.... WHen that rock is to simple ill get a slightly bigger rock... So on and so forth. I'm afraid with this method though ill either run out of big enough rocks to fit my hand around or ill be lifting boulders....

 

Excellent.

Jon Douglas

After some steady state cycles I have no trouble doing sets of 5 with 9kg on Xiaopengs, and this week I have moved up to running a full 12-week 5-rep cycle on 10kg, because I'm not in a hurry and why not right? :)

Alternating them with dumbbell cuban rotations without putting down the bells does some interesting things to shoulders, and makes a great mobility warmup for dislocate work etc if you are pretty comfortable with these movements :)

Kenneth Stainback

Did this question get answered?... "What are the mastery weights for Xiaopeng Forward and Stiff-Leg Windmill?"

I read this thread twice, but still didn't find a direct answer. I was thinking it would be answered in terms of a percentage of bodyweight(?). If it was answered, and I didn't see it, I will give myself a large forehead slap. ;)

Thanks.

Leigh Kettle

Apologies if im being thick here but I don't really understand coaches hs (palm facing the floor) cue / (can I clarify what hs is standing for here ) am I missing something that isn't mentioned in wesleys teaching video

i assumed we were always leading with the palm (or knuckles depending on which direction ) and in this case at the top of the move the palm would be facing forward or back 

Tanya Hill
On 4/6/2013 at 8:42 PM, Coach Sommer said:

Sorry guys, you are focusing on the wrong part of the movement.  When performed correctly even Xiaopeng only used approx 10-12kg for Xiaopengs.  At your levels of development if you are using even close to that amount of weight, I would say with a fair degree of certainty that you are performing this iM incorrectly.  

 

On forward Xiaopengs the most common error is failing to rotate the arm completely at the top of the movement prior to the descent so that you are as close to HS as possible with the palm of the hand pointing toward the floor.

 

On backward Xiaopengs the most common error is allowing the hand to roll sideways prematurely.  This makes the iM much easier and also much less productive.

 

Hopefully you can see from my previous comments that the most important section of the FWD Xiaopengs is how close to HS you can be after the roll and on BWD Xiaopengs how close to HS you can be prior to the roll.

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

 

Hi Kenneth, As Coach mentioned above, when doing Xiaopeng corrently only use approx 10-12kg. :)

Kenneth Stainback
21 minutes ago, Tanya Hill said:

Hi Kenneth, As Coach mentioned above, when doing Xiaopeng corrently only use approx 10-12kg. :)

I took Coach's comment to mean even the guy who the move is named after was using 10-12kg with good form, so someone like me (new to GST) should be no where near that weight at this point. I didn't read his comment to mean 10-12kg is the GB recommended mastery weight.