This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Xiaopeng and Stiff-Leg Windmill weight

Started by Michael S., April 4, 2013 · 35 Replies · 2,352 Views

Antonio Alías Montoya
5 hours ago, Kenneth Stainback said:

I took Coach's comment to mean even the guy who the move is named after was using 10-12kg with good form, so someone like me (new to GST) should be no where near that weight at this point. I didn't read his comment to mean 10-12kg is the GB recommended mastery weight.

 

You are right. Mastery weight is around 3 kg. You must be hulk to move 12 kg like this, not for beginners. 

Everett Carroll
On 7/3/2017 at 8:58 AM, Kenneth Stainback said:

"What are the mastery weights for Xiaopeng Forward and Stiff-Leg Windmill?"

Hey Kenneth,

I consider 5 pounds the bare minimum for mastery but it is well worth pursuing at least double that prior to progressing. This is for both Stiff-leg Windmill and Xiaopeng variations. 

Everett Carroll
18 hours ago, Leigh Kettle said:

Apologies if im being thick here but I don't really understand coaches hs (palm facing the floor) cue / (can I clarify what hs is standing for here ) am I missing something that isn't mentioned in wesleys teaching video

i assumed we were always leading with the palm (or knuckles depending on which direction ) and in this case at the top of the move the palm would be facing forward or back 

Hey Leigh,

HS stands for handstand. Coach is saying you want to ensure full rotation of the dumbbell, ending with your palm facing backward, before beginning the descent. 

Kenneth Stainback
1 minute ago, Everett Carroll said:

Hey Kenneth,

I consider 5 pounds the bare minimum for mastery but it is well worth pursuing at least double that prior to progressing. 

Thanks @Everett Carroll. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I take what you said as... you technically can move on after completing the minimum mastery weight of 5 lbs with good form if you are in a hurry... but you shouldn't be in a hurry.

Everett Carroll

Well said. Exceeding minimum standards is always a good idea. 

Leigh Kettle
On 07/04/2013 at 3:42 AM, Coach Sommer said:

On forward Xiaopengs the most common error is failing to rotate the arm completely at the top of the movement prior to the descent so that you are as close to HS as possible with the palm of the hand pointing toward the floor.

Thanks Everett @Everett Carroll

it was this comment above that I didn't understand as at the top of the move during rotation the hand would face forwards or backwards (dependant on which direction) and would  only start to face the ground on the descent and not before as it sounds as tho coach is describing here. From this description it sounds like at the top of the move the palm should be facing the floor which would require full flexion of the Wrist - or am I completely misunderstanding him here 

Leigh 

Everett Carroll

Screen Shot 2017-07-04 at 2.36.33 PM.png

@Leigh Kettle Here is a screenshot just before the descent.

Leigh Kettle
2 minutes ago, Everett Carroll said:

Screen Shot 2017-07-04 at 2.36.33 PM.png

@Leigh Kettle Here is a screenshot just before the descent.

Hey everett

so palm isnt facing the floor as was suggested in coaches comment? Just facing the direction it intends to go ie leading with palm at all times 

Everett Carroll
4 minutes ago, Leigh Kettle said:

Hey everett

so palm isnt facing the floor as was suggested in coaches comment? Just facing the direction it intends to go ie leading with palm at all times 

My palm is still angled slightly towards the floor. I don't think you need to be fully flexing the wrist in order to get your palm parallel to the floor. What I took from his statement is that the hand should do a full 180-degree turn before you begin the shoulder extension portion of the movement. 

Leigh Kettle

That's great everett

Many thanks for taking time to clarify this 

will revisit how I perform this move 

Giulio Pizzini

The mental cue I find useful if to think of rotating the armpit (as opposed to the hand or elbow)