Tuck front lever shoulder stress.

Started by RyanH, March 7, 2008 · 5 Replies · 3,166 Views

RyanH

I'm currently doing the program from Coach Sommer's article "Building an Olympic Body"after doing headstand pushups, chins and deadlifts. When I do the front tuck lever I notice a lot of stress in the shoulders, in particular what seems to be the infraspinatus. If it matters, I'm 5'11" and 235-240 lbs.

This lasts for awhile afterwards (more tightness/ache than pain). I have been doing foam rolling/self myofascial release and stretching to relieve it, but was wondering if I'm doing something wrong with the exercise. This is also after taking a light week to help recovery from a previous training cycle (I felt it a little then, but moreso now).

One final note, I usually do these on a straight bar at my friend's house, but when working out at home last time, I did them on my rings and it seemed to bother me a little more. I always try to keep my shoulders "pulled in" while doing the movement.

Any thoughts other than backing off?

Thanks.

Edward Smith

personally it sounds like you have done the right thing taking a week off so i'm guessing your reps and sets are pretty good but i'd still like to know? and how much volume and intensity is it for you, are you holding it till failure?

Blairbob

The eccentric motion of rings versus a stationary bar makes it more intense. Sometimes, it seems just about the same number of effort and I can do about the same reps per tucked lever pullup but it will definitely be mo' soah' from de rings.

RyanH

Edx,

I thought about this even before I read your post and I believe I was pushing it too close to failure. I cut back the time of my holds and my shoulders didn't hurt. Looks like I'll just have to do more sets with shorter holds.

Blairbob,

I know more stability is required from the rings, so I really wasn't surprised that I was more sore from them.

Thanks for the replies.

ASForum
RyanH said:
Edx,

I thought about this even before I read your post and I believe I was pushing it too close to failure. I cut back the time of my holds and my shoulders didn't hurt. Looks like I'll just have to do more sets with shorter holds.

Blairbob,

I know more stability is required from the rings, so I really wasn't surprised that I was more sore from them.

Thanks for the replies.

Care to share what your FL hold times were and what you changed it to decrease time per set?

cccp21
RyanH said:
I'm currently doing the program from Coach Sommer's article "Building an Olympic Body"after doing headstand pushups, chins and deadlifts. When I do the front tuck lever I notice a lot of stress in the shoulders, in particular what seems to be the infraspinatus. If it matters, I'm 5'11" and 235-240 lbs.

This lasts for awhile afterwards (more tightness/ache than pain). I have been doing foam rolling/self myofascial release and stretching to relieve it, but was wondering if I'm doing something wrong with the exercise. This is also after taking a light week to help recovery from a previous training cycle (I felt it a little then, but moreso now).

One final note, I usually do these on a straight bar at my friend's house, but when working out at home last time, I did them on my rings and it seemed to bother me a little more. I always try to keep my shoulders "pulled in" while doing the movement.

Any thoughts other than backing off?

Thanks.

***********I don't know if this will help but i take curcummin(in addition to fish oil) in addition to contrast showers and ice baths and i have a very low inflamation level. I need it cause i am 5'10" and 250.

Brandon Green