Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Slow muscle up transition/negative

Matti Paalanen

Matti Paalanen

I'm working through F1/F2 and have supplemented the training with some really basic static ring work. Mainly support focusing on keeping elbows straight and hanging in the lowest possible dip position to get used to that, also false grip hanging and static holds at the top most position of the false grip pullup. After these started to felt comfortable, I decided to work on the muscle up transition phase exclusively by keeping my feet on the ground to give just enough support for me to be able to transition slowly and with control between the pullup and dip. After a few months, I decided to try how it would felt to do the negative muscle up from top position past the transition phase and if it would be possible to revert the movement back with as little momentum as possible:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xyWToUJKbt0

I was positively surprised how easy this felt, although of course it's a still long way from clean muscle up. Any comments on if this kind of progression/work is reasonable? At least I've felt good and haven't had any problems / pain with this kind of training. I've reasoned that if the training basically consists of static work and well controlled movement without kipping and fast changes, there shouldn't be any problems arising from the training as long as you are aware of your current limits and don't overwork yourself.

Thanks!

The transition looks good.  If you can, I think it would do you better to be able to do the negative all the way to the full hang position.

Also it looks like your dips need a little work. There is too much arching in the lower back through the movement. :)

Matti Paalanen

Thanks for the comment! And you are probably right, it might be more reasonable for me to do main work on rings that allow me to come down to full hang. And good point regarding the dip form, have to concentrate on keeping the body hollow during the push as well.

No prob. I just re-watched the video and it also looks like you are having some stability issues too. If you are just playing on the rings, you should be able to do (minimum) a 60sec L-sit on the floor, or p-bars before moving to support moves on rings. If you can do the L-sit, consider taking a step back for a few months.  Otherwise its like trying to stand on a swiss ball, when you can even stand solid on the ground.

Matti Paalanen

That is good point as well. Probably more reasonable to stick to foundation progression and wait until end of F2 before starting proper work on rings. At least the playing around with them has shown that foundation progress already gives gains on rings too.

• 2 months later...
Ryan Hutchins

Keep using those rings. You are taking the right approach to them. Support holds, false grip lock out holds, basic dips and transition work is fine. The best way to get ring stability is by being on the rings. As long as you don't overdo training and start trying to learn a cross or Maltese then you're good. Try not to move your legs at all when going thru the transition on the muscle ups. Keep up the hard work!

• Upvote 1