Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Ring frame

Guest jawbkk

Guest jawbkk

As I train in my garden, I have a limited height pergola at 2.5m high. Not a great deal of use but OK for a few things.

So just wondering has anyone ever made there own frame or are there any plans / drawings of making one yourself?

I was going to weld one up out of scaffold poles.

Any thoughts? :idea:

Joshua Naterman

I used rigid conduit. I got a 16 foot ladder, set it up against a tree, drilled through the tree around 18 feet up and slid in a 5/8 inch carriage bolt. I then did the same thing to another tree about 8 feet away and then drilled one 3/4 inch hole through the 1.5 inch rigid metal conduit. The nuts and washers from the carriage bolts hold it tight, no play at all. I then put metal epoxy putty from home depot on the threats to keep the washer and nut from being able to move. It's freaking awesome, man! You could also do something similar with scaffolding, if you have it available!

• 4 weeks later...

I built one completely out of 12 foot 2"x6"s. Id say that it took, about 6 - 7 and it cost me about 50 cad in parts i believe.

I can provide photos later. It is only 11' high and i plan on raising it about 5 feet by adding wood attachments to the bottom.

I'd love to see pics of the one made from 2X6's. I'm about to move into an apt. Can't really mount rings inside, but I'll have a small fenced yard, and something like that would be perfect.

Thanks much!

Greg

Joshua Naterman
As I train in my garden, I have a limited height pergola at 2.5m high. Not a great deal of use but OK for a few things.

So just wondering has anyone ever made there own frame or are there any plans / drawings of making one yourself?

I was going to weld one up out of scaffold poles.

Any thoughts? :idea:

I'm going to weld one as well, I'm going to use 1.5 inch pipe as the main pipe. I figure I can use a smaller size pipe inside to use as a sort of pin. Basically, take a 1.5 inch pipe, stick the largest size that will fit through it about 8 inches down, and drill a hole through both pipes. Pin the small pipe in place inside the big pipe using a thick bolt, then weld the joint. That's what I plan to do with the base, I figure that's the easy way. then I can set my second pole on top of that, with maybe a foot of that inner pipe sticking up from the base, so that it slides on good and firm. Run the pipe I'll hang the rings from one base to the other, and just lift it on. I'm strong enough to do that, so I figure... why not? :P I can take it apart quickly and easily when I need to, and it will give me a long ring set. Anyone see problems I am missing?

• 4 weeks later...
Joshua Naterman

should be 200 bucks at the most. I havent started yet, I will update with a more exact cost as the project moves forward. I am planning to have it done by christmas.

I think that mine was like $50 for the ring frame and i recently added on a weight + harness system. The harness system was about 40$ for the harness and i think like $45 for the pulley supplies. So like 150 CAD total?

Mine is 10.5 feet high i think and 8 feet high.

Joshua Naterman

See, I'm going for a 18-20 foot tall frame :P that's where the extra moolah comes in, I think. 200 is way on the high side, but who knows? :P

Well i think its the metal that i making yours so expensive. I can extend my height to 20, but that would be ridiculous haha. My straps aren't even 10 feet long. It would just make life so difficult.

Joshua Naterman

If you have an REI or other climbing store nearby, you can pick up 30 or 40 feet of rope that holds 2000 lbs for practically nothing, less than 20 bucks. Use a few feet to attach your pulleys onto your support( I just ran a clove hitch and a bowline knot I think, and some duct tape to keep it from sliding), and then from your pulleys down to the ring straps. Add four carabeeners and you've got a ring system that switches from regular gymnastics-style rings to a pulley system in notime flat! Literally two clips and you're switched. It's 3/8 inch rope, pretty small stuff. Fits in any pulley that can handle normal bodyweights :P That's what I have on my setup in my friend's backyard.

For the pulleys, i used steel cable. It works for me, for now at least.

Thanks for the suggestion though, if I raise my frame I will definitely need to buy some.

Here is a quick video that I took of it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=naT3DN

EDIT: The video makes it look really squished for some reason. Youtube made it 4:3 when it is a 16:9 video. Weird.