Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Front lever looks to impossible for me

mus0001

Hey guys iŕs been a long time that i'm not came on this forum

I need your help for the front lever. Since 7 month that i training to get the front lever but i'm always at the same levels. I only can to do 4 full front lever raises but it's impossible to hold 2s for me.

And the problem is i can to hold 4s a full planche (with correct position fully straight arms) but is impossible to Hold 2s front lever

If it too can help i told my others performance i can make three pull ups with 40 kg weighted and make 7 dragons flag (full dragon flag)

Im 83 kg for 1m80

I must to lose weight to get my front lever ?

What are the muscle that i must to train for the front lever ?

Any ideas please

Thanks for all i wait your answer

Ivan Pavlovic

I know some guys that can do straddle planche and they cant hold straddle front lever. This is becouse they spend more time standing then hanging on their hands.

7 months is not enough to learn fl, at least at this height and weight. Losing weight would help you achieve fl, but think on that if you lose muscle mass you also will lose some strenght, so if you dont have fat to lose there is no need to lose weight.

You should train easier progressions of front lever which you can hold (tucked, adv. tucked, straddle,...). When you can hold some progression for 3x 60 sec then it is safe to move to harder one.

Dont rush, dont train through pain or discomfort and be patient.

Btw, i would like to see picture or video of your full planche if its possible. :)

Edited by Paf

you're right i don't want to lose muscle mass, i have only 3 kg to lose i think because I have fat below my belly ^^

ok i will try your training method but if i try to do more reps of front lever raises like 15 or 20 can it's a good idea or not ?

i will make a video in which i will do a full planche.

still thanks

I think you should try controlled negatives in full FL or straddle, and also I would like to see a video of a hold of your straddle front lever.

just keep doing front lever raises and do one leg front lever and switch your legs, do 3 or 4 sets maximum

you can also try ice cream makers, do with momentum first and with time you can do them slow so you gain more strenght , i learned my front lever in 2 months

good luck

Regarding the muscles that need to trained to hold a full front lever according to gymnastics standards. We are talking your entire core(Lower back, transverse abdominus, rectus abdominus, obliques, serratus anterior) the deltoids, and the all of the rotator cuff muscles.

• Upvote 1

• 1 year later...

Guys it's been a longtime that i'm not came i have found how can i improve the front lever.

So the best way is to work with perfect form and go back in the adv tuck and hold a maximum.

This methods work with all planche even the flag

• Upvote 1

• 2 months later...
Mateo Vasco

In my experience i would recommend you to train your back, just chin ups and normal pull ups, better if you do them weighted. Don`t try to hold a full FL if you cant hold a half FL, most of the people can hold an stradle and one leg Fl but not half FL so try that. It also can help you trainning with bands and do FL raises and max hold assisted FL but just a short part of your trainning in that, you must focus in your lat/back strenght.

Alessandro Mainente

Your problem probably is connected to lack of foundations and lack of programming. a clear example of how the self-approach could be frustrating. seriously consider the idea of use the foundations program. why? because I met different GB athletes who have your same body parameters and they can hold the front lever. first one in my mind is niels from copenhagen.

Infinite tons of pullup/chin up will never give you front lever, also if they are weighted. i've already said why. so please stop make this suggestion.

• Upvote 1

Alexander Egebak
52 minutes ago, Alessandro Mainente said:

Infinite tons of pullup/chin up will never give you front lever, also if they are weighted. i've already said why. so please stop make this suggestion.

I have to disagree here. I know of many people who only did pull ups and eventually got a solid front lever without more specific strength training. Not saying that it is the best way to go about it, but it is definitively possible.

Alessandro Mainente

the biggest part of my clients have already completed the RC (also me and my brother) for foundations and all of them can show a pullup with 75% of BW added, they struggle with front lever.

the fact is that from a functional anatomy point of view when the hand is fixed and the rest suspended, the bicep flex the shoulder to the hand, the bicep works until the chin pass the bar, if the chin up is vertical that is what GST is searching for. after there is a reasonable amount of work on the lat. this is not a case that the front lever is a beautiful exercise to work the lats, because you can take off the bicep from the equation.

we've discussed this thing again again and again. there is no necessity to continue...again.

• Upvote 4

• Alessandro Mainente locked this topic