Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Mounting Xtreme Rings

gymmie

Hi guys I'm kinda new over here. I've been doing most of the exercises mentioned in this forum and it's getting really great. I've been thinking of getting myself a pair of rings right now after reading through what the rings have to offered. I'll like to know how the rings can be mounted before getting my order. I'm thinking of mounting the rings on my ceiling but I've no idea how to go about it, so I'll like to ask those who have gotten the rings to show me how it's done, perhaps some pictures n photos would be good. Thanks a million, appreciate :D

You mean how to mount the straps right?

You need a place to hang the rings from. If you search this place you will find about 100 ways to do it. I have used multiple setups depending on the whether and my whereabouts. And I have found that is much better to use the rings if you can do a full hang in them with out touching the ground, so it depends on where you live and the height in your house - you might want to consider using more than one location.

What is your ceiling made of? Can it handle your weight? How handy are you?

If it is concrete you need a special kind of screw / bolt, that expands when you mount it, separately you will need two brackets that can be mounted onto the bolts ( talk to your local hardware store ).

But that is just one scenario...

yea, iz of concrete n i guess it should be able to handle my weight coz I'm pretty light :D Thanks alot for the reply man, just waiting for my rings to arrive, can't wait. Btw, I'll like to know whether rings training can be done everyday or it would be better to rotate between rings and others like parallel bars n stuff?

Hmmm... If you look at the WOD the primary focus is ring training. I almost exclusively train on the rings. But if you want some skills specific to P-bars, you might want to consider it. I don't think it is fair to discus whether one is better than the other, because that simply relates to your specific goals.

Joshua Naterman

True, but it is worth noting that unstable work produces much more strength than stable work. Parallel bars, even homemade ones like mine, are pretty stable. Rings are not. Because you have to consistently control your position, rings require considerably more strength than parallel bars for similar movements, such as dips. There is also a massive, massive difference between long rings and short rings. Long rings are way harder. So, not doing rings isn't going to hurt you if you don't care about doing anything on the rings, but rings will help you with your p-bar stuff. Even just working supports will help.

Hi guys I'm kinda new over here. I've been doing most of the exercises mentioned in this forum and it's getting really great. I've been thinking of getting myself a pair of rings right now after reading through what the rings have to offered. I'll like to know how the rings can be mounted before getting my order. I'm thinking of mounting the rings on my ceiling but I've no idea how to go about it, so I'll like to ask those who have gotten the rings to show me how it's done, perhaps some pictures n photos would be good. Thanks a million, appreciate :D

Hey bro if your still intrested in mounting the rings its pretty easy. All you have to do is find the joist/studs in the cieling, either with a stud finder or try to see which way your joist/studs are running and measure of the wall, typically in newer homes its 16" on center, if its an older home it might be 2' on center or if all else fails grab a screw and a screw gun and in the area you want the rings go fish until you hit something. Now once you establish your joist/stud layout( mark them clearly) you can either buy some 4" lag screw eyes(diameter no less than 3/8) and go directly through the drywall and into the joist/studs. problem is to be right, the rings have to be 50cm(20") apart and your only 16" because of the layout. If thats fine stop here and enjoy, if not the solution is to buy a 2x4 or 2x6x4( problem is the shortest length is 8', so find another use for the other half) Now take that, preferably 2x6 and screw it to the cieling, three 3" screws per joist evenly spaced over the 2x6 (side note when screwing near the end of the board the tendency is to want to split, so either make the board a little longer so your not screw at the end of the board to hit the joist, or countersink/predrill so it wont split on you) remember your going to be hanging off of this so make sure its good! Now buy some 2" lag screw eyes (diameter no less than 3/8) and put them on the 50cm(20") layout, viola, your good to go. I hope that helps, good luck and enjoy! Peace

Hey thanks a lot for the help, I've got mine settled, just hope all is good :) yah I'll most probably be working on the rings from now since school's gonna start and I dun really have access to p bars to workout. Yea I do realize how much harder it gets when I increase the length of strap. For now I'm just working towards a solid support hold, for u guys, how long did it take to get to a HS on rings?

• 2 weeks later...

I would say as long as possible, it adds instability and that is one of the reasons why rings are second to none. In competitive gymnastics the straps are mounted 5,75 meters above the floor, and the straps are 3 meters long.

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_are_the_ ... stic_rings

Besides, if you mount rings high, you can do more exercises with out considering whether or not you will hit the ground.

I need the advice of all the carpenter/builder/engineer types out there. I'm renting a house and have my garage gym set up except for a pull-up bar and rings. Because I'm renting, I want to do as little damage, particularly structurally, as possible. With that said, I've attached a few pictures of the attic above my garage in hopes of receiving some good suggestions for hanging rings so that I can do some very very basic ring work. Also, I would appreciate any suggestions for building/installing a pull-up bar that will allow me to kip.

As I mentioned, I'm renting, so I would appreciate solutions that are minimally invasive.

Thanks

NOTE:

The first picture (taken from the garage floor) is of a wood piece nailed into the truss directly above the opening into the attic.

The second picture is of the wood piece as seen from inside the attic.

The third picture is of the attic itself.

to be right, the rings have to be 50cm(20") apart and your only 16" because of the layout.

Why do the rings have to be 20" apart?

50cm is the official distance. I guess that the instability of the rings and resistance of the straps also depend on the distance they are apart, eg. would the cross be harder if you had to "push" the rings further apart?

I reckon that 50cm of distance will average a neutral dead hang, with the straps being straight. Arguably the distance between shoulders do vary from person to person.