Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What are the benefits of handstand wall run?

Mario Mario

Alessandro Mainente

I got benefits especially on handstand endurance and press to hs work

• Upvote 2

Overhead endurance mostly-- notably HSPU and HS, but a touch more subtly, my shoulders are just never the weak link in anything I do anymore.

• Upvote 3

• 2 months later...
Andreas Bolz

Will Wall Runs also make you better at Handstand Push ups even if you don't specifically train for them?

And my second question: As a non-gymnast who's primary goal is to be strong and healthy for the rest of my life... is this exercise safe? I mean you can probably do 500 reps or so in 10 minutes. That is 250 times, where my wrists and elbows have to carry all of my 180 pound body. Basically like doing 250 Jerks at 360 pounds.

Joshua Slocum

Will Wall Runs also make you better at Handstand Push ups even if you don't specifically train for them?

And my second question: As a non-gymnast who's primary goal is to be strong and healthy for the rest of my life... is this exercise safe? I mean you can probably do 500 reps or so in 10 minutes. That is 250 times, where my wrists and elbows have to carry all of my 180 pound body. Basically like doing 250 Jerks at 360 pounds.

They'll help with the shoulder girdle strength aspect of HSPU, which is a rather large part of the skill. They will not help much with the tricep strength or balance aspects, however.

Like all bodyweight exercises, they are safe when proper programming is adhered to and dangerous when not. Someone not used to handstand work who jumped into doing 10m of HS wall runs would almost certainly develop an overuse injury. On the other hand, if you've already worked your way through earlier progressions and built up some endurance on your hands, you should have no problem with starting on HS wall runs, so long as you increment the volume slowly. 

• Upvote 1