This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Static Standing Shoulder Extension (HS/PE2>im) Formcheck

Started by Kenji, December 6, 2014 · 12 Replies · 325 Views

Kenji

Hi guys,

 

My hands are shoulder width and shoulder height, but my head is further in front of my body than I'd like it to be. In reality, my posture is generally not that good and that is how I walk around all day - if you see even in the start of the video, my head is in front of my body when I stand straight. 

 

 

In subsequent attempts, I will do the iM with my head further back and do some reading on posture. Aside from that, I am posting because I am wondering what weight I should be using. This bar seems pretty light and the next step up is 10KG - I am thinking of achieving mastery on the 10KG bar before moving on.

 

Aside from what I mentioned, are there any other comments in regards to my form? What's a suitable barbell weight to use to move on from? Coach's students use proper weighted barbells. 

 

Looking forward to your feedback.

 

Thanks and best regards,

-Kenji 

TANSTAAFL

Looks pretty good to me. I would try to keep it a little more steady and less moving around, but other than that form seems fine. The neck issue should get better in time, especially as you should keep this in your WU if you move on anyway.

 

As for weight, it should be 3-5lbs to start with. Make sure you have the same ROM with that weight before going any higher than that/moving on.

 

Here's a link about increasing weight over the long term.

Keegan

My critique should not be taken as official, but I would say you are "caving/collapsing" your chest on these and that is why your head is protruding forward. I would definitely work on posture and try to reproduce the same ROM while keeping a "proud/big" chest and keeping your head back.

Again though, I could be wrong and you could be fine.

Kenji

Hi TANSTAAFL,

 

Solid feedback on the link and a great way to proceed and increase poundage at the same time. Thanks a mil.

 

Hi Keegan,

 

Noticed what you said about moving around too much. I was under the impression I had to be more hollow than arched for these, but I will test with the head up and see if I can increase poundage slightly.

 

Thanks and best regards,

-Kenji 

Keegan

Arching really shouldn't be a problem with these as that would require even greater amounts of shoulder extension to get the bar to parallel to the floor. Hollowing on the other hand will cause a decrease in the degree of shoulder extension needed to get to parallel. Ideally though you want neither arched nor hollow but just a nice straight posture for these.

Alessandro Mainente

Instead to give you direct feedback you could enjoy these errors that you must avoid
-shoulder elevation
-scap retraction will consequent open chest
-arched lower back or thoracic spine
-forward flexion of the body
- asymmetric extension noticeable from back video that I always suggest to record
-wrist extension used to elevate more the bar

Kenji

Hi Alex,

 

Noted - especially on the open chest and arched lower back. Both points emphasize neutral posture.

 

Thanks and best regards,

-Kenji 

Geoff
alex87 said:

Instead to give you direct feedback you could enjoy these errors that you must avoid

-scap retrazione will consequent open chest

Scapular retraction is an error? I thought you were supposed to keep them retracted in this exercise.

Alessandro Mainente

Dislocates must to be much specific as possible.

So in order to have a decent carryover on handstand position the mobility need to emulate it. have you ever seen a retracted handstand?

Alessandro Mainente
Fireform said:

Hi Alex,

 

Noted - especially on the open chest and arched lower back. Both points emphasize neutral posture.

 

Thanks and best regards,

-Kenji 

Of course to maintain the nomal 3 spine curves, but during handstand position we are not searching for neutral position but for hollow position. when we say hollow we automatically discard bith open chest and arched lower back.

Geoff
alex87 said:

Dislocates must to be much specific as possible.

So in order to have a decent carryover on handstand position the mobility need to emulate it. have you ever seen a retracted handstand?

So there are different types of dislocate? I got the retraction cue from this post ( https://www.gymnasticbodies.com/forum/topic/16462-dislocates-transition-between-shoulder-flexion-to-shoulder-extension-how-to/?p=158614 ) of Mark Collins, in which he describes that the shoulderblades should be squeezed together. Is he talking about a different type of dislocate? Or does the retraction occur only after you finish hspe2im's movement? Or is perhaps the retraction he describes more for preventing the shoulders going forward?

Alessandro Mainente

Well I will talk for my personal experience of 2 years inside handstand 1 and near to finish it, I've noticed that specific dislocate leads to specific gain of mobility. I've spent reasonable amount of time doing chest in dislocate and I noticed improvements on handstand , on the other side the open chest dislocates helped me with manna flexibility. Too much retraction seem to be a good way to open the chest and usually on hs you are not looking for open chest position! The advice of mark is for the average of people. The retraction should be used to avoid rolling forward but it not fully recommended.

Geoff
alex87 said:

Well I will talk for my personal experience of 2 years inside handstand 1 and near to finish it, I've noticed that specific dislocate leads to specific gain of mobility. I've spent reasonable amount of time doing chest in dislocate and I noticed improvements on handstand , on the other side the open chest dislocates helped me with manna flexibility. Too much retraction seem to be a good way to open the chest and usually on hs you are not looking for open chest position! The advice of mark is for the average of people. The retraction should be used to avoid rolling forward but it not fully recommended.

Thanks for the clarification!