This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Incrementing weight on dislocate IM's

Started by Jon Douglas, March 28, 2013 · 2 Replies · 499 Views

Jon Douglas

So I'm very pleased with myself today, because I passed the mobility for PE/IM6. I have been using 10lb of weights on the bar for dislocates. As I'm deloading and prepping for a new microcycle next week, I got to thinking about the weighting of the bar.

 

 

My intention is to proceed with that weight and work on mastering all the shoulder mobility IM's (keeping a set of 10 of each dislocate element in warmup) before incrementing the weight on any of them, including the previously mastered ones. I have to admit though, that this is an arbitrary choice.

 

 

Am I better off incrementing the weight up on the easier (PE5-PE6) mobility elements while working on the more difficult with the same weight, or maintaining that until I have mastered the shoulder mobility elements? It seems to me that prematurely adding weight would be less intelligent than waiting for progress in two more elements, then systematically addressing it.

Joshua Slocum

For new elements, 10# is a good beginning weight.

 

I don't see any reason not to begin slowly increasing the weight for elements you have already mastered. If you're doing them during your warmup, I'd try doing one set at the weight where you have already achieved full ROM. Then do another set with .5# more weight. Stay at that weight until you've achieved full ROM or one mini-cycle has passed; whichever takes longer. This way, you can continuously build resistance at a safe pace; by the time you complete H1, you'll be up to 30-40# of resistance. 

 

When you're up to the 25#+ range, you may want your first set to be at a lighter weight, though, since it is a warmup.. 

Jon Douglas

Solid approach; thanks for that.