Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Anyone here follow a Paleo diet?

Glen Eames

I'm sure this has been talked about many times on here, but not so recently it seems.  So I am just wondering who on here follows a paleo based diet?  I am going to give it a try for a month and was curious as to who follows it, what changes/tweaks you might have made for GST (if any at all), did it really have profound positive effects?  I have been listening to The Paleo Solution podcast pretty heavily since Coach appeared on it a few times and I'm really starting to drink the kool-aid.  The meal plan outlined in the book doesn't seem bad at all (except I'm still not so sure about eating fish first thing in the morning for breakfast... might have to make a substitution there haha).  Just looking for some feedback from some fellow GB members.

i did paleo from the start of this year till september. In summer i really maxed out on the diet, no C whatsover, below 50g a day. I kept that for about a month, but then I started to get hardcore cravings for sweets. And not artificial, but fruits most of it, and then some pasta and such. It sort of felt like my body told me to stop this nonsense and just try a more balanced approach for when it comes to food. Now i consume less animal and more of balance, especially trying to get organic (from meat to fruit) ... i try... :)

in spite of that, for workouts i didnt see no cutbacks or anything, i was improving constantly. month after month stronger... 

I can't consider myself 100% Paleo but I have the last 3 years stayed away from gluten, try to stay away from most lactose products and grain products. What I had most trouble with was breakfast but I got used to it. I tried 30 days with no gluten and lactose products. I have most of my life had a runny/leaky gut and this disappeard. After 30 days I went back to grain (oatmeal) and my runny gut was back so for me staying away from gluten and grain was key.

Another thing that I noticed was that I never got "food comas" after a meal.

I try to eat mostly proteins for breakfast and put my carbs at dinner (makes me sleep better).

For example, this morning I had left over meat from last nights dinner and some nuts, yesterday a protein shake. On weekends when ther is more time I'll make an omelette.

Give it a 30 day try!

• Upvote 5

I was very strict paleo for about a year. In April this year I started reintroducing certain foods to my diet.

Gluten containing foods made me feel sick, bloated an tirred and I expirienced breakouts on my forehead straight away.

On the other hand I can consume tremendous amounts of sheep and goats dairy products without any downfalls. However Cows dairy makes me feel sick, except for very small doses (e.g. some Wwiss Milk-Chocolate :P ).

I did not have any negative effects from eating moderate amounts of white rice, sweet potatoes and normal potatoes.

I follow a similar eating scheme as Mats Trane. Carbs in the evening make me sleep like a baby!

I´d say give it a shot and see how it goes. I never expirienced any negative effects on my training that I could blame on my diet.

I tried it for a period, but I cannot get that nice satiety feeling on a low carb diet, I end up feeling constantly hungry although I keep stuffing my face... Feel better with carbs than without them personally.

Daniel Burnham

Nothing says paleo has to be low carb.  There are so many versions of paleo floating around these days that just about everything and nothing is paleo anymore depending on your exclusion and inclusion criterion.  In the strictest sense it should be only food available in the paleolithic era, however what we are eating would actually be modern variants of that anyway so its not that possible unless you go and forage.  

Personally I have eliminated non-fermented wheat products for the most part.  This is based on research that these foods hurt gut bacteria and may contribute to inflammation and weight gain.  I am not convinced yet that this is due to gluten alone however and recent research has shown it isn't.  Rice and fermented grains tend to be ok for pretty much everyone.  Eating starches based on physical activity is fine.  Also inclusion of many roots (not just tubers) has been awesome for my body composition and I feel great eating them without any noticeable glycemic load.

I also think there are quite a bit of things Robb got wrong including his low carb approach and huge fish oil recommendations, but hey we are all human and make mistakes.  I prefer to eliminate things and add things as they are individually shown to be harmful and beneficial, not just sweepingly making strict requirements for myself.  

I also eat fish in the morning and love it, I had actually forgotten about that recommendation.  I do not take any supplements besides the occasional protein shake and vitamin D and rarely get sick.  In fact the only time I get sick is after more than one sleepless night due to work.  Also my performance in the gym is pretty good  These are the metrics I live by.

In the end paleo isn't a bad diet.  Its the extremes that people have taken it to that potentially make it suboptimal.  For instance at my friends crossfit they call eating pretty much just meat with some veggies the paleo diet.  They have a lot of poo problems that Id rather not go into detail here on.  You can't eat a pound of bacon a day think that because it is technically paleo you will be healthy.  Good judgement with a well rounded diet will always win out in the long run.

• Upvote 10

Gavin Strelitz

I have been following paleo for around three years and I love it. For me, removing bread, pasta and rice had an almost instant benefit in that bloating in my stomach disappeared. My version of paleo is basically protein plus salad and vegies at major meals. Little bits of fruit, nuts and berries sprinkled in.

• Upvote 2

Murray Truelove

Did it for a while. Definitely helps to focus on whole foods but it can be very inconvenient when eating socially.

Eating "clean" and counting calories is just as effective and far more flexible in my experience.

• Upvote 1

Colin Macdonald

Rice and fermented grains tend to be ok for pretty much everyone.

I also think there are quite a bit of things Robb got wrong including his low carb approach and huge fish oil recommendations

I switched to fermented oats in the morning. While regular oats didn't cause me any problems, I find that once they're fermented, they are far more satiating.

I'm also very doubtful of taking high doses of fish oil. I prefer to eat fish and whole cod liver. Even if you're convinced of the health benefits, you need to be completely sure that your oil is absolutely top quality or it's going to cause more problems than it potentially solves. But personally, I don't have the means to accurately measure the quality of fish oil at home. :)

I haven't been strict about it, but if you use it more as a guideline you'll be much better off. In my experience Paleo-ish is most effective. Stick to avoiding processed food and make the bulk of your diet meat/veggie/fruit/nuts/healthy fats but allow yourself to eat whole bread or pasta in choice situations. Namely dinner. Refined carbs like bread make you tired after eating and better prepares you for bed because of serotonin production. Better sleep, better gains no matter what they are

Indeep Jawanda

I can't consider myself 100% Paleo but I have the last 3 years stayed away from gluten, try to stay away from most lactose products and grain products. What I had most trouble with was breakfast but I got used to it. I tried 30 days with no gluten and lactose products. I have most of my life had a runny/leaky gut and this disappeard. After 30 days I went back to grain (oatmeal) and my runny gut was back so for me staying away from gluten and grain was key.

Personally I have eliminated non-fermented wheat products for the most part.  This is based on research that these foods hurt gut bacteria and may contribute to inflammation and weight gain.  I am not convinced yet that this is due to gluten alone however and recent research has shown it isn't.  

I think you might find this video interesting, although not necessarily in your favor: Relevant info starts at 9:00, with the really relevant information at the 12:02 point in the video. Watch the full video too!!

The take away point from that video above can be seen in this video from the prestigious RSA in the UK: COOK YOUR OWN FOOD!!!

Daniel Burnham

I think you might find this video interesting, although not necessarily in your favor: Relevant info starts at 9:00, with the really relevant information at the 12:02 point in the video. Watch the full video too!!

The take away point from that video above can be seen in this video from the prestigious RSA in the UK: COOK YOUR OWN FOOD!!!

Thanks for the video. Yea ancient grains are thought to be better. Problem is finding them. Also we know that often these ancient grains were fermented to make a sourdough which changes the absorption and nutrient content of the bread.

I will be thinking about these things as I engorge myself on stuffing in today's thanksgiving feast

• 4 weeks later...

Another thing that I noticed was that I never got "food comas" after a meal.

I try to eat mostly proteins for breakfast and put my carbs at dinner (makes me sleep better).

For example, this morning I had left over meat from last nights dinner and some nuts, yesterday a protein shake. On weekends when ther is more time I'll make an omelette.

Give it a 30 day try!

This is very typical of Paleo enthusiasts and incorrectly reinforces the notion that any gluten will kill you.  Of course if you eliminate a food for 30 days and then eat a large bolus of it, your gut bacteria won't be prepared and you'll have a bad reaction the same way a vegetarian says red meat "doesn't agree with my stomach."  Well, duh.  If you haven't eaten it in a while, your gut doesn't produce as much of the enzymes it needs to process it.  

I think if you tried something like flaky pastries, you wouldn't have a reaction at all.  There is a little gluten there, but pastry flour is mostly gluten depleted.

• Upvote 1

Important Information

Please review our Privacy Policy at Privacy Policy before using the forums.