Front split / straddle split best planning routine

Started by Alessandro Di Sanzo, November 17, 2014 · 6 Replies · 3,199 Views

Alessandro Di Sanzo

Hi all! I decided to add both front and straddle split on my weekly workout routine. I do 6 workout sessions a week and I wonder which kind of planning routine is the best to achieve them.

I thought that the more often I practice both of them, the more quickly I will achieve them. So is it even possible to practice both of them everyday, or may it be counterproductive? For example is it better practicing both routines everyday or alternate 1 day of straddle and 1 day of front routine?

So I would like to know how can I set these workout sessions, so that I will gain the best results in terms of efficacy! Thank you!

Ravn

I'm no expert but according to Thomas Kurz, who believes that strength training in the end-ROM is the way to go, you shouldn't be training end-ROM if you're still sore from your last workout. In practice that probably translates to 2-3 sessions per week.

Murray Truelove
Ravn said:

I'm no expert but according to Thomas Kurt, who believes that strength training in the end-ROM is the way to go, you shouldn't be training end-ROM if you're still sore from your last workout. In practice that probably translates to 2-3 sessions per week.

+1

Essential wide, deep squats and PNF contractions. Google Kurtz horse stance for more detail.

Alessandro Di Sanzo
Ravn said:

I'm no expert but according to Thomas Kurt, who believes that strength training in the end-ROM is the way to go, you shouldn't be training end-ROM if you're still sore from your last workout. In practice that probably translates to 2-3 sessions per week.

Got it! I started to work on single leg squat , following the planning workout of 2 times a week of Foundation one. Do you think is it better practicing front and straddle stretches at the same sessions I practice single leg squat or in separate sessions? My doubt is that my legs would be too tired for train both strenght and flexibility at the same workout sessions. I mean, I'm talking about single leg squat, that I find definitely tougher than many other leg exercises!
Ravn
mauler said:

Got it! I started to work on single leg squat , following the planning workout of 2 times a week of Foundation one. Do you think is it better practicing front and straddle stretches at the same sessions I practice single leg squat or in separate sessions? My doubt is that my legs would be too tired for train both strenght and flexibility at the same workout sessions. I mean, I'm talking about single leg squat, that I find definitely tougher than many other leg exercises!

IDK really, I only train side split in addition to foundation (and climbing). I don't want to add too many extras, as it tends to diminish the quality, in my experience. Besides, Kurz claims that if you get the side split using the squatting technique, you should be able to get the front splits easily. I have no idea if that's true, but I'm not worrying too much about it.

Edit: Sorry, I misunderstood your question. Definitely yes, train for splits after your SLS session, as that provides a nice warmup. Also gives you more true rest days per week for your legs, which you'll need.

Blairbob

 You can probably train them on different days since they work different muscle groups.

 

 Front split is hamstrings and quads. Side split is groin. Pancake split hits hamstrings though.

 

 I'd just opt to do them both on the same day though given the time. Probably allow yourself about 2-3 days to recover fully if you are starting new.

 

 Frequency is good though. This is common why many coaches can maintain their flexibility if they have to stretch with the kids 2-3x over 4-5 hours.

Sailor Venus
Blairbob said:

 

 Front split is hamstrings and quads.

Plus adductors too, especially in the rear leg. Feel the adductor stretch more through oversplits. At least from my experience.