Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Rope climbing with Gloves... cheating?

Bryan Wheelock

Bryan Wheelock
With winter coming fast, my hands have gotten dry and my rope is slippery polyplus.

For my rope climbing session( 5 sets of 15 ft), I decided to wear some rubber grip gloves vs Liquid Grip.

Climbing the rope has never been easier.

I know part of the benefit of climbing is improving grip strength.

However, every time anyone has tried to climb my polyplus rope without chalk or resin it's been a huge failure, usually not being able to leave the ground.

The rope is slick as silk. Someday, I'll get a chance to climb a manilla rope for comparison.

Is climbing a rope with gloves cheating?

Would quick drying adhesive be cheating?

Do you use anything to enhance your grip?

Josh Schmitter

I wouldn't go as far as 'cheating.' With a slick rope there's really not another option. I imagine the gloves on a slippery rope will make the overall exercise slightly easier than bare hands on a traditional climbing rope. It could also facilitate overuse in other areas more quickly (i.e. elbows, etc.) if you're not super cautious, as I would the think it would enable your grip to last longer than it would normally.

Just know that you want to eventually get a manilla/similar with bare hands to get the full benefit.

Murray Truelove

Chalk could be another alternative. Liquid chalk makes the least mess.

I wouldn't call gloves cheating, especially if it's a slippery rope.

• 2 months later...
Bryan Wheelock

Mueller's Quick Drying Adherent(spray resin) is the solution I had been looking for to keep my grip on the poly-plus rope. I just had to re-chalk and my grip was solid. It's hard to remove, I used Orange extract. Apparently olive or vegetable oil might work too.