This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Proposal to improve the site

Started by Alon Golan, November 6, 2014 · 7 Replies · 336 Views

Alon Golan

Hi everyone, this is my first post, I don't know if here is the right place to put that or if no one offered it before but I want to propose something that I hope will bring benefit to the form and the wonderful community here. I think that every time we open a new topic in the professional form it will contain a mandatory dropdown field with the related exercises tags that associated with the current form, for instance in foundation one the dropdown tags will contain the folowing tags SL/PE1, SL/PE1>IM, SL/PE2, SL/PE2>IM...sPL/PE1, sPL/PE1>IM, sPL/PE2, sPL/PE2>IM.... etc. This will allowing to group the entire collection of questions and answers given for a particular exercise. And when one requiring an answer or sharpening for exercise he can quickly do it by find it by tag.

Thanks

TANSTAAFL

I like the idea, but it may be very difficult to implement as you'd probably have to back tag everything to avoid glitches.

 

 

Salivanth said:

One problem with this; not all questions asked in this forum pertain to a specific exercise.

Examples: 1) This thread you've posted.
2) https://www.gymnasticbodies.com/forum/topic/18365-discomfort-in-front-of-shoulders/
3) https://www.gymnasticbodies.com/forum/topic/18380-3-day-hs-integrated/

All from the front page, not related to any specific element or IM.

That could easily be bypassed by a 'general' type tag.

1) Tagged 'general questions'

2) Tagged 'shoulder', 'pain', etc.

3) Tagged 'HS', 'Integration', 'Training Schedule'

 

Obviously everything tagged with 'Foundation' then F1, F2, etc."

Rayne-William

In addition to what has already been stated, the site's search function is near the top left corner of your screen.

 

Here is the more advanced search function

Jeremy Huston
Salivanth said:

One problem with this; not all questions asked in this forum pertain to a specific exercise.

Examples: 1) This thread you've posted.

 

Yep.  Mandatory is usually not a good idea.  Maybe if there was a drop-down to select exercises to add to the "Tags" it would be a help.

Alon Golan
TANSTAAFL said:

I like the idea, but it may be very difficult to implement as you'd probably have to back tag everything to avoid glitches.

 

 

That could easily be bypassed by a 'general' type tag.

1) Tagged 'general questions'

2) Tagged 'shoulder', 'pain', etc.

3) Tagged 'HS', 'Integration', 'Training Schedule'

 

Obviously everything tagged with 'Foundation' then F1, F2, etc."

I agree with you. it not gonna be easy but as you suggested problems can be overcome.
tex0413 said:

Yep.  Mandatory is usually not a good idea.  Maybe if there was a drop-down to select exercises to add to the "Tags" it would be a help.

The main problem in providing freedom of choice is usually no one uses it so you can't count on it. However, if one is committed to provide a tag for each subject attributed to a particular exercise as well as enabling some general topics tags, you get an efficient system that allows you in more easy way to obtain the missing information/clarification on the exercise.

Advanced search is indeed a good thing, but it doesn't meet a good demand because search lead to two situations. The first is receiving a large number of results that require to sort, often no easy task. In the second situation we lose information because the returning of fewer results.

The main problem I'm trying to deal with is, in my opinion, the lack of information on how to perform the exercises. It is true that exercise is accompanied by the film and several key points, but from exploration the site in any particular category, I find more and more pieces of information scattered throughout the category and to collect all this information that isn't in one place, becomes very frustrating sometimes. Quite often when I go to an exercise I study it thoroughly, the video and the important points, in addition I collect as much as possible information as related to the exercise. Unfortunately, in retrospect I realize I skipped a lot of important points as well as highlights. This is because knowledge is dispersed, I see quite a lot of times questions that was answered repeat themselves and it's a direct result of information distribution. Ideally, all the exercises needs to be accompanied in addition to the video and the highlights also by serious explanation of the exercise. Especially important for those who want to carry out the exercise with a deep understanding and uncompromising precision of the exercise.

I sincerely hope that the site managers take up the challenge and continue the required for the course site, in my opinion. Although it will requires a lot of investment.

Meanwhile mandatory tagging brings, I guess, a very well response for this issue and it will bringing many useful later. (Even at statistics level, on the questions asked)

Sorry in advance for the length of the Manifesto.

And thanks in advance for taking the time to read this.

Thanks!!!

Keegan

While I think the idea of tags is good (though agree that if tags were made mandatory all older posts and topics would need to be retroactively tagged, a monumental task that would really gum up the works in the mean time), I think that the solution to your issue is already embedded in the forum in the form of being able to post form check videos (which there is now a whole sub forum for).

Watch the demo video, read the key form cues, do your best to replicate the form demoed in the vid and film yourself (or have someone else film you doing it, heck do it from multiple angles if possible), then start a thread in the Form Checks sub forum and ask for critique; most of the time you will get people to offer you form correction advice or at least give you the "thumbs up". If you get correction, take it, implement it, and then refilm yourself and post up the updated form check in the same thread to see if you new improved form is up to par. If not, keep adjusting, if so, proceed onto mastery.

That way you don't need to go searching through pages and pages of threads of written text to find details, you can have them all right in your own form check thread. If you wanted I'm sure you could even start a seperate thread for each element, then you could have relevant info for each element in it's own thread and not have to search as far in each thread for relevant into on each element.

My 2 cents.

Alon Golan

Thanks, good idea, I think I adopt your 2 cents idea [emoji6] .