Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Teaching a fitness class

Andrew Long

Hej everyone,

I have been roped into teaching a fitness class with very limited equipment and I am having so,e trouble coming up with good ideas of how to go about it. I was hoping someone here could share some experience or ideas when it comes to this sort of thing.

Equipment available :

Short climbing wall

Ladder made entirely of rope hanging from ceiling

Weighted vest x1

Slack line

Lots of relatively soft floor space

Campus board ( rock climbing thing. basically a ladder you can only hold onto with the tips of your fingers)

Kettle bells x2

Shuttle cones but not much room to use them

THe idea is to spend about 1hour making a small group of people stronger/fitter

This will be a mix of people but mostly climbers a lot of beginners I think and I need to keep them entertained while getting results so I can't just do a foundationesq style training because let's face it, it can get boring but that's not why we do it.

There maybe be new people every now and then so doing a progression style training could be hard as few people will be there long enough to actually progress... :P

My idea is

10 min warm up: mobility type exercises to open them up a bit followed by star jumps, burpees, jogging to get the heart rate up.

20-30 min of some sort of strength work although not sure what exactly yet but with a big focus on technique and proper movement patterns especially in relation to climbing.

20 mins of more fun faster paced partner/game exercises. ( have some ideas but still needs work)

5-10 mins of stretching to warm down.

If anyone could help out that would be supremely appreciated

Cheers

Since you are limited to BW it seems, you could plug in animal movements for warmups as well. Good for mobility.

Use circuits for stations and a handtimer with rotate.

So 30-45seconds per station, allow 10-15 seconds to move to next. So modified tabata as we called it for 20/10 or 45/15 fits well. 45 is a bit long in my opinion but sometimes that is nice to get some volume in.

Fun game. Can't remember what we called it, oh yeah it's called "Chicken fighting." Everyone gets in a squat and hops around. Hold hands behind back. Now hop around and try to knock each other over. No hands allowed. Death to legs.

Another is "Island Tag/Hot Lava." Put some stuff on the floor that are "safe" zones to stand or step or jump. The floor is water or hot lava. Obviously, don't drown or get burned.

If you get a really long rope with a small weight on the end you can do group jump rope circles. One person stands in the middle and swings the rope around. Every one jumps over it as it comes around. If you are really fancy, you can jump over the rope while holding it. (Sensei would use a weapon called suruchin which is rope with rocks at the end). Sometimes you lift the rope pretty high and trip people up.

Cheers Blair bob that actually helped a lot. I really like the idea of the chicken fighting, mostly because it would be hilarious to watch :P.

I think Iill have to see the people I'm working with before i figure out the time per station if they are utter beginners then most probably won't last 45 seconds on one round let alone multiple but I love he idea of a tabata style training.

Bjcook I was thinking of using some of what I learnt through Gymnastic Strength Training™ but not f1 specifically because I'm still just finishing f1 myself and I'm not sure if that is really allowed.