This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

MN/Pe6 Hanging Neg Leg Lift (nHLL)

Started by Joe Venuti, November 3, 2014 · 12 Replies · 514 Views

Joe Venuti

Hey all, 

I'm having an issue with the Hanging Neg Leg Lift.

I can do MN/Pe5 all day long and I can hang from a regular pull-up bar and touch my feet to it pretty easily.

However when I try to do the Hanging Neg Left Lift on the stall bars (I have Gibsons) I only get part way up and my head get's jammed against the rungs and there's a ton of pressure on my neck.

 

Can anyone help me work past this?

 

Thanks in advance

Joe

Gavin S

Are you putting a mat on the rungs as you perform the exercise? This may help.

Rayne-William

Tuck your chin to your chest and let your scapula elevate.

RJS

i do yoga to prep, first the shoulder stand or "Sarvangasana", and then plough pose or "Halasana". Makes things alot easier.

Ravn

Some good info here:

 

https://www.gymnasticbodies.com/forum/topic/15450-mn-pe5-to-mn-pe6-shoulder-discomfort/

 

https://www.gymnasticbodies.com/forum/topic/16789-manna-pe6/?hl=mnpe6#entry161482

 

As was said above, use a yoga mat and tuck chin to chest. Also, clenching the teeth seems to help me, lol. There's a steep learning curve to this exercise for sure, so don't sweat it if you can't nail the correct motion initially. A lot of coordination going on, that most of us aren't used to.

Jeremy Huston

Joe -- I'm in exactly the same spot as you.  PE5 is a breeze but I can't get a single good rep of PE6.  

 

I can see plow pose really helping....I'll have to give that a try.

Joe Venuti

I did these today and I added a mat, tucked the chin and elevated my scap. Instant improvement!

I haven't gotten around the yoga yet but I did some weighted pike hangs and those seem to help as well.

 

Thank you all, all of the tips above were helpful!

thecolin

In the course videos all the stall bars have a gap at head height. If you can get a setup like this, it would be the easiest solution.

Joe Venuti

So circling back around to this I added in the 'plow' pose to my warm-up and have even taken it as far as increasing the ROM on the movement. 

 

This has made the Hanging Neg Leg Lift significantly easier. 
The only issues I have now are losing the flexibly over the course of a few sets and controlling the negative for a full 10 seconds.

 

I have no doubt that the negative will improve with time, but the fleeting status of the flexibility is troubling.

 
Jeremy Huston

Don't be troubled by fleeting flexibility, assuming it's active flexibility that your losing.  Your compression muscles are just fatiguing -- they're the same muscles that control the negative but at the end of your ROM.  I'm in the same boat with my last couple of reps really struggling to get the full ROM and controlling the descent.  But it gets a little better every time I train.  

 

(I've made a ton of progress since my post 2 months ago when I couldn't get a single good rep.  Now I'm just working on the endurance and getting 25 good reps.)

Joe Venuti

Thanks for the feed back Jeremy!

I've been toying with doing the 'Plow' stretch more often to create a new 'set point' in my flexiblity.

 

I just started, but I think that's helping a bit.

Also I've been extending the ROM on the 'Plow' by doing it on a folded up a panel mat and letting my feet dangle off the end.

Jeremy Huston

Are you continuing to progress with Jefferson Curls too?

Joe Venuti

Funny you should ask.

I started doing them again last week.
I alternate them with Plow when I'm practicing my leg lifts.

I use a 45# bar and get maybe 4-6" bellow the top of the box I'm on.