This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Manna PE6

Started by andydgh, July 1, 2014 · 19 Replies · 596 Views

andydgh

Quick question on these.

Did them for the first time a couple days ago. Pretty hard of course. I got 3/2/2/2/2

 

I'm just wondering the difficulty difference between what I was doing and the video.

I don't have a set of stall bars. I'm just doing these from a pullup bar so there is zero support on my upper back on my decent. This has to make it much harder.

Is anyone here doing them the same way? Has anyone experienced both?

 

Just curious how much harder it is using only a bar... like if someone here can get max out on 5x5 on the stall bars what are your numbers on a pullup bar?

BMJD

It's actually harder on stall bars. It's not providing any back support, it's limiting your use of the back muscles in the lift. On a pull up bar, you can use your back muscles to help with the movement (not the focus of the element). On the stall bar it's pretty much all abdominal work which is the focus.

Mark Collins

It is like a different exercise. It is a lot harder on the stall bars.

Gavin S

I have to agree, it is a different exercise on the stall bars. Try and find a good substitute or buy/build some.

thecolin
andydgh said:

 

if someone here can get max out on 5x5 on the stall bars what are your numbers on a pullup bar?

 

A single set of 20-30 would probably be possible, depending on the individual. And if you can do 5x5 on a pullup bar, you still may not even be able to get a single rep on the stall bars.

 

Like it has been said, it's practically not even the same exercise.

Ravn

Sorry OP, but I nearly spilled my coffee laughing

You're in for quite an experience the first time you try these for real, just like the rest of us.

Mark Collins
Ravn said:

Sorry OP, but I nearly spilled my coffee laughing

You're in for quite an experience the first time you try these for real, just like the rest of us.

I have been on these for a year. When I started my feet got nowhere near the toes. Now I can do 4x2 with the correct form. 10 seconds lowering is a long time. The mobility is not really a rest either!

In hindsight I may have rushed the earlier PE's. But this roadblock is exactly what I needed.

andydgh

I seriously find it hard to believe that this would be harder on the stall bars... and even harder to believe that if you have a 5x max then you would be 30 on the pullup bar like 'thecolin' said... hell the hang time alone for that many reps would be insane!!

 

Anyway, maybe I'll throw something together to try a similar test.

As for what BMJD said about the abs being the major focus, I don't see that as an issue for me... The biggest issue for me on these is the shoulder strain on the sloooow decent which I think would be relieved be the stall bars. My reps were more limited due to that than ab strength.

 

But, I've never used them so I am just speculating.

Ravn

Ok, let us know how it goes.

Jon Douglas
andydgh said:

I seriously find it hard to believe that this would be harder on the stall bars... and even harder to believe that if you have a 5x max then you would be 30 on the pullup bar like 'thecolin' said... hell the hang time alone for that many reps would be insane!!

 

 

No, that's about right. That's 30 reps of an easier variation after doing 5x5 with barely any rest of a much harder one. I get bored doing them on a bar long before I get tired, I've gone up to 20. I'm pretty sure I could do 30, maybe I'll try that tomorrow for kicks. 30 on stall bars is still a ways away for me.

That might be an interesting challenge; pass MnPE6 and put up a video of your max on a free bar? :)

andydgh

Do you guys know the specs on a set of stall bars? Basically what is the space (center to center) between the bars?

Daniel Burnham

I think mine are 6 inches between bars. You could probably go as far as 8 without having problems. The only drawback will be eventual large increases intensity of exercises and maybe problems finding a good width for side levers.

andydgh

HA! Well, I didn't get on any stall bars but way the roof supports are in my gym I was able to mimic the move I believe.

There is something to hold on to closer to the ceiling and only about 3 inches from the wall so when I'm hanging the wall is acting like the stall bars.

Dammmmmn.... that's a little harder :facepalm:

Apologies for my doubtful demeanor :)

 

I'll probably just work them on the pull up bar for the next week or so until I get around to building a proper set of stall bars.

Jon Douglas
andydgh said:

HA! Well, I didn't get on any stall bars but way the roof supports are in my gym I was able to mimic the move I believe.

There is something to hold on to closer to the ceiling and only about 3 inches from the wall so when I'm hanging the wall is acting like the stall bars.

Dammmmmn.... that's a little harder :facepalm:

Apologies for my doubtful demeanor :)

 

I'll probably just work them on the pull up bar for the next week or so until I get around to building a proper set of stall bars.

No one ever believes it until they try :) don't worry, the payoff is equal to the diffculty increase.

 

andydgh said:

Do you guys know the specs on a set of stall bars? Basically what is the space (center to center) between the bars?

There's some nigh-blueprints in the 'equipment' forum :) the public outdoor bars I am using are a touch too far apart, as Daniel said, which has slightly slowed my side lever progress but it's not a complete deal-breaker.

William

about stallbars, a real stall bars highest "stick" where the athlete in the videos has his grip on is not in the same vertical line as the others(more distance to the wall), is this also making a difference or just more comfort?

Jon Douglas
William said:

about stallbars, a real stall bars highest "stick" where the athlete in the videos has his grip on is not in the same vertical line as the others(more distance to the wall), is this also making a difference or just more comfort?

Comfort. My bars do not have the offset rung and they are murder on the wrists
William

Ok, thanks!
 

Got one more question(do not want to open new topic for that)

Its about PE 5, i'm progressing well, get the legs high enough and so on, but i feel some strains in my lower back/hip area. but no idea what to stretch...anyone an idea, what i could be?

i did daily five before, and are doing the im, i dont have problems with my hamstring flexbility to this point of MN.

Mark Collins
William said:

Ok, thanks!

 

Got one more question(do not want to open new topic for that)

Its about PE 5, i'm progressing well, get the legs high enough and so on, but i feel some strains in my lower back/hip area. but no idea what to stretch...anyone an idea, what i could be?

i did daily five before, and are doing the im, i dont have problems with my hamstring flexbility to this point of MN.

This could simply be your body getting use to the new load. Does the pain last for >24hrs? If not don't be too concerned. If it is not a mobility issue then once your soft and connective tissue adapt you should be fine.

William
Mark Collins said:

This could simply be your body getting use to the new load. Does the pain last for >24hrs? If not don't be too concerned. If it is not a mobility issue then once your soft and connective tissue adapt you should be fine.

No i just feel it while performing, just at the highest point of my straight legs, stops immediatly after it. ok, i keep going on with it :) thx

andydgh

Didn't have a chance to build a set of stall bars yet... so many projects going on at once.

 

But I'm thinking that if these are as hard as they are on a regular pull up bar then it is probably a good idea for me to get my sets on the pull up bar first... then move to a set of stall bars.

 

Basically a progression to get to the progression.