Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

PWO meal modifying: for health and performance

Edward Smith

Edward Smith

HERE is a great article by Robb Wolf on modifying one's PWO meal according to their goals. Should be of some help for anyone who's confused on the issue.

Ed

• 4 weeks later...
Jason Stein

Ed,

Have you seen OPT's blog?

http://optimumperformancetraining.blogspot.com/

He's been posting WODs that look like a lot of fun/misery, and interestingly, he also posts a recommended PWO refueling. I believe it sticks pretty close to what Charles Poliquin recommends, though correct me if I'm inaccurate.

It's also interesting in that he prescribes according to bodyfat percentage, so if you're less than 8 percent BF, you might for example do a 1:2 gram P:C ratio following an endurance effort, as your body more efficiently processes the PWO carbs than someone with greater than 12 percent BF, who might do a 1:1 gram P:C ratio.

The protein prescriptions seem pretty high --- 40 grams! --- and he suggests refueling in addition to your daily intake, which would, for example, put me at 145.5 grams of protein per day. Which is a lot. But then the workouts prescribe pretty high output, so perhaps it's warranted.

I've adopted a similar ratio after GB WODs, almost all of which I treat as strength days. So for example, after a ring series day, I will do 4:3 gram ratio of P:C within the 30 minute PWO window.

The only exceptions thus far are any of the four round, higher-rep GB WODs, which I treat more as strength-endurance/prehab, and after which I'll do a 1:2 gram P:C ratio.

Interesting stuff. I think I'm still gaining weight, so I'm curious to see where this will top out. The concensus at my gym is currently 165, though I'm gonna hit that pretty soon.

best,

jason

Jason Stein

140g of protein is on some fire-breathing o-lifter heavy met-con type of diet. 20 blocks = burly. I guess if you wanted to weight 200, though...

Edward Smith

Jason, Blairbob,

I am a big believer in 1g per pound of bodyweight of protein (assuming the person is relatively lean, otherwise go by lean bodyweight). I aim for about 150-160g protein per day.

Jason,

I have seen OPT's blog but I don't really read it. Skimming down it, in one post he mentions his reasons for the Pro/Carb perscription's, which is due to bodyfat percentage because as he says that's the only real way he can give any sort of near accurate advice to people. The leaner you are the better you can handle carbs (insulin sensitivity), to an extent.

In Robb's post he talks about PWO meals with fat (no/very low carb) for leaning out, and suggests perhaps strength athlete's may perform better on them. Ido posted that he is also playing around with them. He however is not using it for fat loss, as you can see in his videos he is already very lean. He hasn't gone into deepth with the results, just that it's given him great results in recovery.

Ed

Jason Stein

Ed,

I have for the past several years been training with Scott at Crossfit PDX, who has, with Robb, developed and implemented many of the protocols you mentioned. I don't train for power the way Scott (or Robb) does, however, so I've not seen the need for such high-protein PWO meals.

Scott has been replacing PWO carbs with fat for some time now, and he's reported great recovery benefits. Maybe I can talk him into writing a brief article or post on his experiences. For every 9 grams of carbs he removes, he adds roughly 1.5 grams of fat. Though as Ido mentioned elsewhere, this really only works for the fat-adapted athlete.

For the past two weeks, I've been playing with an egg-white, coconut butter/oil, cinnamon PWO drink, though to be honest I haven't noticed an appreciable difference in recovery, i.e. any difference in soreness, fatigue, quality of sleep, or daily/weekly work capacity. I imagine it might be more beneficial to an athlete expending high wattage with heavy weights, though.

best,

jason

Well, there's a reason that whole milk outperformed skim milk in the studies.. even isocaloric skim milk.. it's b/c some fat content is actually good PWO is actually good.

My theory is some of the fat goes directly towards hormone production b/c of the stress. But just a guess on my part.

Important Information

Please review our Privacy Policy at Privacy Policy before using the forums.