Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

school project

Hayden Whealing

Hayden Whealing

For a year 9 science project, I have to conduct an experiment and would like to do something to do with fitness. I've seen lots of information on hot/cold showers to increase performance level about 15 to 18 hours later and would like to use this as an experiment.

If anyone has information on how these scientifically work or how to use these to maximise your physical ability with the showers please let me know.

Joshua Naterman

Well, there are two "easy" ways to do that in terms of actual performance. You find people who are already experienced lifters, and keep track of their workout performance for the next 4 weeks. Then you keep track of their performance for 4 MORE weeks, while they take contrast showers, or use the sauna approach, or whatever it is you are testing. You can record actual workout data that way and see what the results are for the workouts. 10 rep maxes, 5 rep maxes, etc. That's more of what you would call an experimental study.

In a correlative study you could use your groups of lifters and instead of tracking their workouts, you could record how they feel during and after workouts, and on days off, during the 4 weeks that they are doing normal routine, and then the next 4 weeks you could record how they are feeling at the same times while they are using the recovery technique(s). You could do both for a really cool study.

And it doesn't have to be lifters, it could be sprinters too, or any other athlete that can track his or her progress with numbers.

Hayden Whealing

so with the hot/cold shower do you have the shower 15 to 18 hours before the workout for best results?

Edit: I thought another idea would be to perform an pretty intense workout then take a bath in 40 or less degree water for 10 to fifteen minutes, then the next day or maybe the day after test my maximum reps for some exercises. then do the same intense workout again next week or so and test my max reps the next day but not take the cold bath after the workout and compare the results.

Joshua Naterman

Don't change the workout schedule, the cold bath will just speed up healing, but it has to be pretty immediate. like 15 minutes afterwards. As for the hot/cold showers, to maximize the workout you need to end with hot water for a couple minutes, but it has to be the hottest water you can stand. Just regular "oh, this is nice" hot water won't do that much. Again, don't change the workout schedule, just use the shower before your workout. To keep it scientific you'll have to eat the exact same portions of the same things, and have the same sleep schedule. All those things can influence a workout.