high arched feet

Started by Nicholas Cooper, October 10, 2014 · 6 Replies · 4,671 Views

Nicholas Cooper

My feet have high arches. Is there anything I should be doing ?

Rayne-William

If your feet were like that when you were born nothing you can do will change the height of your arch.

 

I would, however, recommend walking around with socks on or barefoot while you are around the house as often as possible. If it is warm enough go outside barefoot.

 

Doing so will increase your overall balance because the muscles in your ankles, feet and toes are strengthened.

 

A little convenient bonus is free foot massages.

Nicholas Cooper

Thanks for your reply, much appreciated. Is having high arches known to inhibit any movements eg squats ? 

HB_Ron

In addition to what Rayne wrote , I suggest to start wearing minimalist shoes.

 

I heard ZEMgear are good. I think I'll buy a pair this month.

Duff

Have you seen a podiatrist about it?

Rayne-William
Nicholas Cooper said:

Thanks for your reply, much appreciated. Is having high arches known to inhibit any movements eg squats ? 

If the arches of your feet have always been high, since birth. You shouldn't have any problems with movements like squat variations.

 

The important thing is to strengthen the muscles of your feet and ankles by walking around with socks on or barefoot.

MT Nordic

There's high arches, and then there's high arches.  If they are excessively arched it can be a sign of some nerve problems like Charcot Marie Tooth Disease.  For most it is just how they are, and it does not inhibit any movements.  I agree with walking barefoot.  I don't necessarily agree with minimalist running shoes.  I do think wearing flat shoes and not elevated heels is very important and is a good way to transition to better ankle mobility and foot mobility.  If they bother you (I'm presuming, given you took the time to write this post), you should check them out with a podiatrist or a PT who does foot work.